What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad2 and itunes

bob669

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but im not an ipad expert and my google search just brought up ios4 stuff.

In short, I have loads of songs on itunes on my PC. Mainly put on there from my CD collection or free podcasts Ive downloaded#

What id like is to be able to sit somewhere else in the house and access my pc's itunes library over the wifi net. seems like a natural ipad functionality and a whole lot better than me having to download stuff from pc to ipad before i wander off to the garden to play it on the ipad.

Can this happen? Whats the best way?

Many thanks for your patience and help

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Turn homesharing on in both iTunes and the iPad. You can then access your iTunes library on the iPad over the same wifi network.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I am missing part of your message-but did you sync your iPad yet to itunes? I am not sure if you can listen to music that is in your itunes library that hasn't been synced yet to your ipad...especially with the ios4 you have. Regarding podcasts...not sure about that and/or if you can access the itunes store and view some of the podcasts of interest. Have you tried the latter? :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn homesharing on in both iTunes and the iPad. You can then access your iTunes library on the iPad over the same wifi network.

Another tip I have now learned! Thank you. Do you have to have the itunes open in order to access it on the ipad?

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Another tip I have now learned! Thank you. Do you have to have the itunes open in order to access it on the ipad?

Yes, you need iTunes open to access the files.

I never had any luck streaming my music from the computer to the iPad before updating to IOS5. Now it works like a charm.

Ed

OP
B

bob669

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I'm still being thick. I've enabled sharing in itunes on PC and typed in password. Done same in ipad. Itunes on PC says a connection is enabled but not being used. How do I use it? I go into Music on ipad but cant see any way of accessing PC's itunes - at the moment the window is empty and just has a Store button at the bottom. I expect I'm nearly there but a button somewhere needs to be clicked-pls tell me what to click!!

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes as explained and you can also then stream music and podcasts and videos from iTunes through your TV and home audio system (if they are connected) via an Apple TV box.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies.
I'm still being thick. I've enabled sharing in itunes on PC and typed in password. Done same in ipad. Itunes on PC says a connection is enabled but not being used. How do I use it? I go into Music on ipad but cant see any way of accessing PC's itunes - at the moment the window is empty and just has a Store button at the bottom. I expect I'm nearly there but a button somewhere needs to be clicked-pls tell me what to click!!

Click on the More tab on the right you will then see the names of the shared library or libraries. Select the one that you want to use.

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are running IOS5, open iTunes (on the PC) and "Music" on the iPad. Now look to the bottom right. You should see the "More" button. Clicking on it will allow you to access the files on the computer by selecting the proper option. If you need further help, just ask.

Ed

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bob669 said:
at the moment the window is empty and just has a Store button at the bottom. I expect I'm nearly there but a button somewhere needs to be clicked-pls tell me what to click!!

Are you running IOS5? Do you have iTunes open on the PC?

Ed

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you running IOS5? Do you have iTunes open on the PC?

Ed

Read the OPs replies it's pretty obvious that they are running iOS 5 and that they have iTunes open.

Ed62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1W1 said:
Read the OPs replies it's pretty obvious that they are running iOS 5 and that they have iTunes open.

Sorry about that. The reason I asked is because if iTunes is not open, (it's possible it was thought to be open when it wasn't) you will not see the "more" button. If iTunes and iPad have been set to share, there should be no problem as long as iTunes is open.

Ed

OP
B

bob669

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the help

I had another look this morning and I found where I was going wrong.

I'd turned on sharing in preferences in iTunes but I hadn't realised I needed to go into another menu as well - the one cunningly labelled Home Sharing.

So even if I'm admitting to being a bit daft, I may as well own up in case someone else finds this thread via google!

Thanks again

OP
B

bob669

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'm just being hopeful now but you never know!

I wonder if there is a way to use the pcs iTunes when I'm outside the house, say on my parents wifi at their house, and my pc is sswitched on at my house with the Internet on

I doubt apple allows that so the solution would be a general remote access app like logmein?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have my iTunes and iPad set up for Home Sharing. Just for fun, I put my iPad on 3g and turned off the WiFi. Nope, can't see the Home network via the iPod/Music app. Granted, I'm running iOS 4.3.3 still on my iPad, but I can't access the iTunes library via the iPad on 3G only, no WiFi.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that you need to use a remote access app, such as LogMeIn or SplashTop.

Worth the question, though! :D

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts