What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad won't charge at all

Pueblo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My iPad appears to be broken. It completely ran out of battery life, and when I went to plug it in, it didn't charge; it just flashed the Apple logo over and over again. When I plugged it in to my computer, the screen just blinked, and the computer wouldn't acknowledge the iPad. I tried the hard reset while plugged into the wall charger, but it just told me to plug it into iTunes (which, of course, didn't work). Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? In case it's relevant, iTunes is up to date, and my iPad was running iOS 4.2 before it wacked out on me.

Thanks in advance!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My iPad appears to be broken. It completely ran out of battery life, and when I went to plug it in, it didn't charge; it just flashed the Apple logo over and over again. When I plugged it in to my computer, the screen just blinked, and the computer wouldn't acknowledge the iPad. I tried the hard reset while plugged into the wall charger, but it just told me to plug it into iTunes (which, of course, didn't work). Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas/suggestions? In case it's relevant, iTunes is up to date, and my iPad was running iOS 4.2 before it wacked out on me.

Thanks in advance!

OK - first of all, welcome to the Forum.

Second - don't panic!! We have had several members with this problem.

Turn the iPad off and leave it to charge, with it switched off, for a couple of hours.

Now try again. If the problem persists it's time for a reboot...

Turn the iPad off and then hold down the Home and Power buttons together for 60 seconds - yes, sixty seconds - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then perform a reboot; it takes some time, so be patient. Hopefully, when the reboot is finished, it will be back in its normal state - no apps or user data lost.

I hope this works, please let us know.

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just one final thought to add to the above - I assume you are using the normal iPad charger and not an iPod or USB charger from your computer? You need to use the iPad charger because it has a current capacity of 2A versus the 500 mA capacity of a USB port.

Tim
Scotland

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Just one final thought to add to the above - I assume you are using the normal iPad charger and not an iPod or USB charger from your computer? You need to use the iPad charger because it has a current capacity of 2A versus the 500 mA capacity of a USB port.

Tim
Scotland

Tim, I use an ipod charger and works fine. Any reason why I should not?

I like to have ipad charger near pc to sync when need to whilst keeping other old ipod one plugged in elsewhere ready for easy chargng.
Lazy I guess.
S

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPod charger delivers a lower current (1 amps, compared to the iPad charger's 2.1 amps) so charging an iPad will take a bit longer.

Because externally they appear identical, most users who aren't aware of the difference sometimes use the chargers interchangeably, and then think there's a problem when their iPad charges very slowly.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim
Scotland

Tim, I use an ipod charger and works fine. Any reason why I should not?

I like to have ipad charger near pc to sync when need to whilst keeping other old ipod one plugged in elsewhere ready for easy chargng.
Lazy I guess.
S

The previous posters have said it all!!

Tim
Scotland

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all, will change my approach and use proper lead full time.
S

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all, will change my approach and use proper lead full time.

If you have both iPod and iPad adapters, it might be worthwhile using a small sticker to differentiate between the two. Sure beats using a magnifying glass to check the small print every time.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
If you have both iPod and iPad adapters, it might be worthwhile using a small sticker to differentiate between the two. Sure beats using a magnifying glass to check the small print every time.

Ha ha, I had a look and the ipod one has a slightly larger bit on the end that slots into the hardware ... 10 mm v 5 mm on ipad adapter.
S

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are we talking about the sync cables? or actual brink (usb) wall charger? Because I have 4 differnt sync cables, 1 came with iphone, 1 with ipod, 1 with ipad and the other with the longer ipad cord I bought, I use whatever one is closes at the time and have never had an issue, was just wondering.

Reaction score
David79 said:
Are we talking about the sync cables? or actual brink (usb) wall charger? Because I have 4 differnt sync cables, 1 came with iphone, 1 with ipod, 1 with ipad and the other with the longer ipad cord I bought, I use whatever one is closes at the time and have never had an issue, was just wondering.

The cables don't have any influence on the charging capabilities, only the source suppling the charge (i.e. wall charger) has.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh ok then, ya I always use ipad charger, well for pretty much all of them lol works better.

Stephen19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh ok, as I was then, I was talking about the white leads. One came with ipod, other with ipad. The plug part I use came with ipad.
So I can use either to charge and wont delay? But shoukd se iad one to sync or does that not matter?

Most reactions

Latest posts