What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad vs HP Slate

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The HP Slate is starting to look pretty good. I currently have the iPad WiFi 64GB and have a iPad 3G 64GB on order. After reading this article and getting a glimpse of the Slate I think I will cancel the 3G and wait for the Slate.. i know I'll end up with one anyway, why have three mini iPads around. The Slate has much more options I like, such as an optional pin digitizer support, three times more RAM, two cameras, more optional ports.. Gee, is this a no brainer folks?? So far I see the Slate bringing a lot more to the table. What are your thoughts after reading the linked article below???? Anyone else having second thoughts with their future 3G iPads on order?

HP Slate to cost $549, have 1.6GHz Atom Z530, 5 hour battery? -- Engadget

Last edited:

Dragonrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, first it has a Win O/S - just a personal bias, but that alone would keep me from buying it.

With O/S 4, the iPad user interface would be killer and do everything I need a travel system to do.

It is cheaper - but it was a side by side comparison between a HP and Apple laptop that converted me to Apple - I think a side-by-side comparison between these two would yield the same "no-brainer".

There are far more apps and farkles for the iPad.

Apple's customer service is stellar - and they speak english

Need I go on??

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, lets look at the comparison. HP- smaller screen, trying to run a full OS(?) on a tablet. It has more RAM, but is it needed? Apple has SD card support and it may eventually get USB support through the camera kit. The only real thing I see is that it is a touch screen netbook. It does not have bluetooth, and definitely is not going to be up to the standards that Mac people expect. I hope the Slate does well, but I predict that G2 iPad may go with 1 GB RAM and a few other additions as necessary. A USB port or software to allow the Camera Connection Kit to serve as a USB port would be a positive thing.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So it's a year from now - you're online looking for apps that are custom made to fit your HP slate - you can find dozens. For the iPad there are tens of thousands.

You go into Best Buy - decide you need a power adapter and perhaps a new case. You can't find any - only thing you can find are iPad supplies.

Your new car as an option to purchase a 'cut-out' / 'slide-in/ for the next gen of iPads - with gps tracking, etc. For the HP there is an option to have an aftermarket plug installed by the 'geeks' - then you can sit your HP Slate on the seat next to you for gps.

Get the picture?

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll take the seamless integration and compatibility of my Apple products.

briloop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few things turn me off:

If connected to the Internet, won't it need a firewall and some anti-virus protection? If so, that is an extra cost to the owner. I guess that could be by-passed by using the firewall that comes with Windows and installing a free anti-virus program. But still, the machine is not going to be bullet-proof.

I am not familiar with Windows 7, but if it is anything like Vista and prior incarnations of Windows, the OS is going to need owner maintenance (defragging, etc.), possibly re-installations when the OS starts getting cranky.

1GB of RAM to run Windows and some Window-based applications. That doesn't sound like enough RAM.

The screen is smaller, but it has essentially the same weight as the iPad.

Half the time of a battery charge.

Some positives:

If it can run programs with 1GB of RAM, it definitely has more possibilities than an iPad.

Brand recognition.

Possibly price.

Wider user base.

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOLOLOL
Some of you Apple Kool-Aide drinkers crack me up.

The IPAD is a really big IPOD / toy.
The Slate apparently actually runs an operating system and may be an actual computer.

If you want a big IPOD / toy, like I did when I bought my IPAD, then its wonderful. If you want a computer then you dont want an IPAD.

For the first time last night I ran into an IPAD wall. I was trying to do a web search and kept getting frustrated by the lack of precision and alternatives that the touch interface forces me into. I finally gave up and went to a computer and did the search in a matter of seconds.

Not the fault of the IPAD, but my fault for momentarily forgetting its NOT a computer and lacks a real, useful working interface.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HP Slate:

Pros: faster proc, silmilar pricing, standard USB support, camera (depends on who you are if this is a pro)

Cons: Thicker, heavier, half the battery life, faster process that will be killed by windows, while it has a touch layer it is a mouse based os, not fast enough to run any of the applications you really want it to run, while it may have flash it is still yet to be seen how well it will run. The only promo we've actually seen so far showed a bunch of fake screens and what looked like real UI that was very slow and choppy.

I wouldn't hold your breath for this to be better than iPad. By the time this this finally comes out iPad will be on os4 and it will be even more powerful than it is now.

Oh wait, I almost forgot the biggest con.....it's made by hp!

Last edited:

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOLOLOL

Call it kool aid all you want. I have over 20 years using PCs.There is no way I'm going back to them for my daily computing. But don't worry I won't try and convince you, I learned long ago that the only thing that will do that is hands on experience and an open mind.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LOLOLOL

The IPAD is a really big IPOD / toy.
The Slate apparently actually runs an operating system and may be an actual computer.

If you want a big IPOD / toy, like I did when I bought my IPAD, then its wonderful. If you want a computer then you dont want an IPAD.

For the first time last night I ran into an IPAD wall. I was trying to do a web search and kept getting frustrated by the lack of precision and alternatives that the touch interface forces me into. I finally gave up and went to a computer and did the search in a matter of seconds.

Not the fault of the IPAD, but my fault for momentarily forgetting its NOT a computer and lacks a real, useful working interface.

Spoken like a true hater that doesn't have an iPad. Use one daily and you will understand. And since when is an os other than mac or windows not a real os.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
It looksnto me like an updated Samsung Q1 ...... No thanks ......

I'm a windows guy on my desktop, tried Mac, and just not for me. But, for my portables, it's iPhone and iPad. iPad is by far the best. If that makes me a "kool-ade" drinker in your eyes, then you can kiss my raspberry flavor packet.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I left the Window fam because of too many crashes, problems, etc. I find it funny to see so many critiques of the Ipad like it is the 4th run in the product life cycle. It might not be perfect but the UI cant be beat by anyone, not now and certainly not a year from now. This forum is not intended for bashing. As far as kool aide is concerned, I just ordered me some more.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For years, and years, and years the Apple / Mac line has always been the highest rated, more efficient and most preferred of computing platforms - both desktops and laptops - bar none. The problem has been that the units cost a LOT more than the plethora of PC's that are out there. When the netbooks started coming out over the past year - priced at around $500 - they became popular very fast.

Now that Apple is back in the market with a competitively priced item - the PC world should watch out.

mjeagent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Windows = Crashes
Slate = Windows

Therefore, Slate = Crashes

I will not purchase. Please pass me another cup of Apple Kool-Aid while you reboot your OS.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is not a toy, but it is not a full computer. I see the problem with the Slate as trying to be a full computer on a tablet. The whole idea of the iPad is to simplify the functions a majority of us use a laptop for. And to provide a better experience for us old farts that do not have the fingers and eyesight for a iPod Touch. Five years from now, every function that is done on a laptop may be easily done by a iPad, Ten years from now, we may not need fingers to type, scroll, or press buttons. However, for now, the iPad is the next movement in the advancement of personal computing. And if you think that the iPad is just a toy, then look at the HP Slate and the projected tablets from Microsoft, Google, and many others.

There may be those who do not think that the iPad is a computer, just as many did not think the iPhone or Touch would cut it. But Apple's competition has all but admitted that they have missed the boat on this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts