What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCalGal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enjoying iPad2 but IMO Androids are much more user friendly. Anyone else a user of both? What's ur opinion?

GadgetGeek71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My thoughts are the exact opposite. I'm not a Apple freak and I won't bash Android but, Apple products are far more user friendly to the common user.

Sent from my iPad using...my iPad

OP
S

SoCalGal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
singlestick said:
How is it more user friendly? Could you give some examples?

My iPad seems pretty easy to use, but I would love to get another perspective.

I feel androids have much more tools that are preloaded. Also find multi-tasking is very useful on Android. Just find it easier to figure things out and get around on Android. Also I don't like that u can't "exit" apps etc.

Perhaps it's like being a Windows PC user for so long and having to get used to a MAC. I'm open for change...I'm hoping I turn into an Applehead, since hubby only uses MACs. Looking forward to continue my journey using and learning more....

Reaction score
I use both, prefer Android but both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Android seems more user friendly to me because I can customize the user tools like the keyboard, widgets,music format, etc.
With my ipad everything has to be done according to a set set of standards with variations of it. Android lets me choose not only the theme of a keyboard but if I want to slide, type, slide in a circle, etc. I can also set my home screen to where I want what instead of how Apple perceives my style should be. I like my icons along ever bottom only, the last place my ipad fills .
True multi task is my favorite feature though, not just a double tap of the home screen to go back to an app that paused while using another.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

dobbey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use both alot, and ios feels more polished and user friendly, but android is more personalized. Thats why i use an android device as a phone, and an ipad for internet. I dont like android 3.0, i prefer 2,3 with htc sense. Ios is more locked down. I like changing keyboards on android and wished it was on ios

Sent from my iPad 2 32GB White using iPF

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly, the one thing I wish iOS had that Android does is Swype. It would make entering text in portrait mode so much simpler.

That's said, I feel Android is suited more for tinkerers, iOS more for a general consumer. The general consumers that tend to pick up Android like it for the widgets and vast amount of customizations that they can do to it. They also have price points all over the spectrum for Android devices, from budget conscious options to elite top of the line offerings. That said, the biggest setback, IMHO, to Android, is that companies can install bloatware, which Apple won't allow on iOS. Of course many people really like the company specific UI; my aunt, for one, loves TouchWiz on her Samsung.

I don't think one is really superior to the other in general, rather the superiority of one reveals itself when a user starts to consider not only what they want in a device, but what they want to do with and to it.

tall_grass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with the characterization that Android is easier and more intuitive to move around in. In addition to that, I find the following to be Android advantages over iOS:

* Better keyboard options that actually integrate with all of the apps on an Android device: I am satisfied with the keyboard on my iPad 2 but I would be thrilled if I could put a keyboard on it like the one that I had on my Xoom that split the keyboard and moved the keys closer to the sides to make it easier to use with my thumbs. Also, the Android keyboard app had more options for long presses on the keys that helped me to not shift as much and made text input generally better.

* Integrated speech recognition that really works well: For things like navigation or responding to texts or emails on the go, this is a huge advantage... dragon for the iPad 2 is great, but you can't use its capabilities from inside of other applications.

* Better options for text prediction and correction: This varies somewhat from device to device, but I have been extraordinarily impressed by HTC's performance in this area.

* Better explorer-like tools for file management... I have learned to live with the iPads limitations in this area but I wish that I did not have to. I have tried Readdle Docs and Good Reader and I am unimpressed. Dropbox is genuinely great but I would like to have access to more than just 2 to 4 GB of my data without paying a service charge.

* An option to use the Android devices storage space as a "thumb drive" of sorts: The only thing that I have access to when I hook my iPad up to my computer is my picture store.

* The options for widgets is very nice indeed... my HTC phone gives me the option to use one of the home screens as a calculator or an agenda or a monthly calendar and many more options... this would be great on the iPad rather than the screens just being an app launcher.

* Seemingly better integration with Facebook... this is nice and a plus in my book.

* Lack of SD card support for things like watching movies or accessing files or just adding storage if needed... movies are the big thing here because the storage on my iPad gets maxed pretty quick when I start adding movies.

That being said, I absolutely love the iPad 2... I have not been so excited about a gadget in a long time and I use it for nearly everything. It is one outstanding tool / toy. I turned my Xoom back in because I was given the option to and because it fell short in my book because of the immaturity of Honeycomb and the lack of tablet optimized apps... Springpad support was e deal-breaker for me. They have since fixed the glitches with Springpad and have no doubt added more apps to the market that work great with Honeycomb tablets.

It is strange to me, however, the appeal of Apple products... I have a laundry list of gripes but I am still very much drawn to their products and eager to learn how to use them...can't quite explain it yet but when I do, I will let you know.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SoCalGal said:
Well said!

Thank ya! I loved my Droid X until the Gingerbread update, getting an X2 as a replacement from Asurion (long story, don't try it), and am considering trying to find a way to trade it up to an iPhone.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I they both have there strong points and weak points I like both and find then close as far using them. There is a lot that is the same and is easy to go from one to the other .I have a duel core android phone and the iPad 2 and love both

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Reaction score
Heck I thought we were comparing tablet to tablet not tablet to phone.
My Android phone blows my Android tablet away but I still prefer my Android tablet over my ipad for the reasons I mentioned in my first post

Support Our Troops!!

TheDanishDanger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just returned my galaxy tab 10.1 because it was HORRIBLE!! apps constantly crashing. Camera, browser everything. $600 for an unstable unusable piece of crap. Gonna enjoy my new ipad2 soon.

Reaction score
You know, I thought we were just comparing mobile OS to mobile OS... :)

Android phones and tablets use a different os. My phone is froyo and my tablet is honeycomb. Some Android tablets use the same os as the phones but Android, like web os, is moving away from 1 size fits all. If ios5 were doing the same thing I would have held off on my Tab but as is the ipad is going once again to be more like an ipod than a Mac
Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions