What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Virus/Malware - how to remove?

znbclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been getting SPAM emails sent to all my friends & Facebook posts from my iPad and I don't know how or how to make it stop.
I read that iPad's can't get a virus, but obviously something is happening. could it be malware? How do I do a scan? How do I get rid of it??
Please help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It would be a good idea to go to your email account and change the password, right now. For good measure do it for you Facebook account to, since they are the ones that seem to be getting the spam.

Then do a search on Facebook and learn how to manage all the apps you've subscribed to on Facebook. Go through them, delete any suspicious or unneeded ones, and lock down the permissions on the rest so that they can't do more than they need to.

If you have a computer(s), give it(them) a good anti-virus cleaning as well.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you know for sure that your iPad is sending the messages, or if something else pretending to be your iPad is doing it (e.g. appending the line "-- Sent from my iPad")?

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree. I can't think of anything iPad connected, but I know of at least two to three times this sort of spamming has happened with people's yahoo e-mail accounts in particular. I've seen the one where the friend is stranded overseas and lost his/her wallet and needs money wired etc.

OP
Z

znbclark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all I will try what has been suggested and hopefully that will do the trick!

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess one of the most obvious questions to ask is - are people getting emails when your iPad is off/asleep?

DiscoStu2906

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me today! I checked my e-mail and found about 40 unsent e-mail notifications because the e-mail addresses weren't valid. I hadn't sent any e-mails but I checked the Sent Folder and found over 300 had been sent in one day to various addresses. I went online and accessed my e-mail via the content providers own website and checked the Sent Items there - no spam! These have definitely come from my iPad. I have changed my e-mail password to be safe, but I haven't been using apps in Facebook or accessed any suspicious sites. Any ideas?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This happened to me today! I checked my e-mail and found about 40 unsent e-mail notifications because the e-mail addresses weren't valid. I hadn't sent any e-mails but I checked the Sent Folder and found over 300 had been sent in one day to various addresses. I went online and accessed my e-mail via the content providers own website and checked the Sent Items there - no spam! These have definitely come from my iPad. I have changed my e-mail password to be safe, but I haven't been using apps in Facebook or accessed any suspicious sites. Any ideas?

When you say these definitely came from your iPad, what type of email account is it? Gmail? Hotmail? Yahoo? What exactly.

Baiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started having the same problem and I don't have idea how to solve it.
I changed my password, turn of completely the ipad2 and my computer at the same time but I still continue receiving such messages.
If anyone have any hint please help us!

Baiano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
It's not an iPad issue, it's an email server issue, which has nothing to do with your iPad.

You are right, I figured out the messages were been sending for two unknowing e-mail address. So I blocked these address e-mails on my server provider and the messages disappeared.

Thanks

Most reactions