What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad users in UK - official dedicated thread

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the new dedicated thread for UK iPad users. We welcome your posts regarding any topic that are specific to UK users and IPads. If you are a potential buyer of an iPad and have questions that relevant to local issues such as Apps, service providers etc than by all means post here. If you require help on a general iPad issue please post in our main help forum.

Important note: please use the forums to discuss the topic of the thread, not as a substitute for Instant Messaging.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to all our UK members. As Colin suggested, use this thread to discuss any local UK issues relevant to iPads, apps, accessories, 3G data service providers etc.

Tim
Scotland

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me be the first to post, some of this is copied from my original post.

My iPad 2 crashed (major crash) for the first time ever yesterday also, I had to let the battery die before it would restart, a hard reset would not work, it was thankfully a short lived concern, should I mention it to apple or watch and wait ?

Also my iPad 1 (which now belongs to the wife) would not accept the new os update....server kept timing out, what was that about.

Finally, my iPad 1 & 2 which on the same PC are recognised as different, for the first time yesterday became merged with apps, what is going on in the universe????

Any thoughts anyone????

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

My iPad 2 crashed (major crash) for the first time ever yesterday also, I had to let the battery die before it would restart, a hard reset would not work, it was thankfully a short lived concern, should I mention it to apple or watch and wait ?

Also my iPad 1 (which now belongs to the wife) would not accept the new os update....server kept timing out, what was that about.

Finally, my iPad 1 & 2 which on the same PC are recognised as different, for the first time yesterday became merged with apps, what is going on in the universe????

Any thoughts anyone????

When you talk about a 'hard reset' do you mean what I think of as a 'reboot' - i.e. holding the Power and Home buttons down together for several/many seconds until the white Apple logo appears? That should always work if there's sufficient charge in the battery.

Merged apps - I have no idea - that sounds like a problem for the poet, who knows all there is to know about iTunes....

Tim

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:

Any thoughts anyone????

As you are saying the server timed out it sounds like the download to your computer failed rather than an issue with the iPad. It may have been caused by too many peeps downloading all at once. I would give it a few more tries, maybe at different times of the day........I normally download updates while the USA is asleep.

The Archangel

Reaction score
iPad 2 is cool said:

Any thoughts anyone????

This is the standard iTunes behavior. When you download an app on iPad 1, then sync with iTunes it transfer the app onto the computer. Now the next time iTunes syncs with another iPad, it will copy that app onto that iPad aswell. iTunes simply assumes that you would want to have all purchased apps on all your iPads. This has nothing to do with the two iPads being seperate, iTunes knows that the iPads are two different devices, but since you have bought the app, iTunes wants you to have that app on all your devices.

If this isn't what you want, you can always turn off automatic syncing, or leave the automatic syncing on, but choose to manually sync apps.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
This is the standard iTunes behavior. When you download an app on iPad 1, then sync with iTunes it transfer the app onto the computer. Now the next time iTunes syncs with another iPad, it will copy that app onto that iPad aswell. iTunes simply assumes that you would want to have all purchased apps on all your iPads. This has nothing to do with the two iPads being seperate, iTunes knows that the iPads are two different devices, but since you have bought the app, iTunes wants you to have that app on all your devices.

If this isn't what you want, you can always turn off automatic syncing, or leave the automatic syncing on, but choose to manually sync apps.

This is what I thought but the problem has never occurred before ie. Mirror syncing and I have synced them loads of times.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also the crash was a real crash, nothing to do with os updates at the time, just straight forward normal use. I had 12 % battery at the time so should not have been an issue, and I agree the hard reset has always worked in the past but not this time. Not happened since. Thankfully once the 12% battery died, the iPad died with it and on recharge re-booted ok.

If it happens again I will let you all know.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:(

Dear UK users,

I live in Gloucestershire. I'm considering going to Pembrokeshire, West Wales, for a weekend break. Map, on my iPad, tells me I must take the M5 and then the M4 motorways, and then on through South Wales.

I'm not keen on motorway driving on my days off, and that part of South Wales is not very picturesque. I was hoping to stop for lunch within view of the fine Brecon Beacons national park, further North, maybe walk the dog.

How can I persuade my Map app to take me that way, via Monmouth, say, and not through the dystopic industrial scenery attached to the Welsh M4?

Also, why cant I txt msg like an American?

yrs,

ir

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:(

Dear UK users,

I live in Gloucestershire. I'm considering going to Pembrokeshire, West Wales, for a weekend break. Map, on my iPad, tells me I must take the M5 and then the M4 motorways, and then on through South Wales.

I'm not keen on motorway driving on my days off, and that part of South Wales is not very picturesque. I was hoping to stop for lunch within view of the fine Brecon Beacons national park, further North, maybe walk the dog.

How can I persuade my Map app to take me that way, via Monmouth, say, and not through the dystopic industrial scenery attached to the Welsh M4?

Also, why cant I txt msg like an American?

yrs,

ir

I know of no way that you can 'persuade' the iPad's native Maps app to take a 'pretty' route - it doesn't have the same capability in this direction as a dedicated sat nav, such as TomTom. But, what I have done is to construct the route from small segments. In other words, identify some intermediate 'way points' that you'd like to visit along the route and program those in. Having said that though, the Maps app doesn't automatically recompute the route if you wander off track, as commercial sat navs do.

You can download TomTom and other third-party sat nav apps, some of which are free and they also avoid the problem that the Maps app downloads its maps dynamically, meaning you need an Internet - probably 3G - connection throughout your route.

Tim

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not because I drive a flash car then?

Thanks for the AA tip.

As a male driveperson, I don't think a sat-nav will do. With my luck I might be involved in an incident involving Jeremy Clarkson.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do Americans text?

There are some dedicated text apps in the US App Store. Although the iPad cannot natively text (it does not have the necessary signal processing functions, even if you have the 3G model) some developers are remotely hosting 'virtual' text services on their servers that enable an iPad User to send text messages from their iPads using a dedicated app.

Most/all of those text apps are only available in the US - there are a few available in the UK too, though.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts