What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Use in Cold/Damp Environments

RunningPirate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good Afternoon to Everyone On the Board -

I am considering using an iPad for an upcoming business project. This will entail use in cold and damp environments (essentially, I will be in a giant refrigerator) - ~35 to 40F, plus humidity. I will be needing to write and type while in this environment.

Does anyone know if the iPad will function in this environment? I'm told for writing, I'll need something called a Pogo Stick - will that still work in the cold?

For that matter, what are the operating parameters (temp, humidity)?

Thank you for your help.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here are the environmental specs for the iPad --

ipad72.jpg

All of the tech specs can be found on the Apple website --

Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
(from 1991-C4's link)

Environmental requirements

• Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)
Looks like you'll be ok to go. I'd be careful about taking it out of the freezer back into a more normal temperature. Condensation will not be your friend...
Btw, I and many others on this forum would recommend the Targus (aka Griffin) or Boxwave stylus over the Pogo.

Happy chilblains!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are some waterproof cases available that might be a good idea. TrendyDigital is the only provider I can think of off the top of my head, but I believe there are one or two others.

If you slip a little desiccant inside the case it should help prevent condensate from getting to the iPad when you move it in and out of the fridge.

Also, there are gloves with special finger tip pads that should work if you don't want a stylus.

JaneiL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could also look at an iLoc case too. iLocstore.com

Greenfield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar issue. I work with the cold storage warehouse industry, and am curious about the prospects of using an iPad inside an industrial freezer. Those go as low as -10 f.

I've read about iPads having an overheat problem under some circumstances. I've also read that their operating range, temperature wise, is strictly above freezing.

Does anyone know of insulation or perhaps a heater accessory available that would let one work in sub-freezing temperatures?

Most reactions

Latest posts