What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad USB camera connection kit plus webcam

gavinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting the USB camera connection kit, but was wondering if it would work with a webcam.

I have an app called timelapse for my iphone 3gs, and was hoping there would be a way to connect my logitech 9000 webcam and take timelapse videos.

This camera has a much better lens than my 3GS and allows for 8 mp photos to be taken, this would make for much nicer timelapse videos than through my 3GS.

Jailbreaking is not a problem if needed for software, just looking for confirmation that this might work before I spend the money on the camera connector. I haven't been able to find anyone talking specifically about attaching a USB webcam to an Ipad after extensive google searching, so I thought I'd ask.

OP
G

gavinar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder if I'd be able to use their software + my webcam and a usb camera connect kit. That webcam is not nearly as nice as the logitech (actually, doesn't really even look better than the built in camera in the Iphone 3gs)

vanfruniken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It just might work with UVC cameras (and a powered hub)

It won't work because the webcam needs drivers installed and you can't do that on the iPad.

In fact, if the camera is a USB Video Class (UVC) camera, no camera specific drivers are necessary (or maybe just a built-in one, that honors the UVC standard). Automatically recognized by OSX, Vista, Win7. On the Mac, UVC cameras just work, even with iChat. Don't know if iOS includes the UVC driver.

Most reactions