What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad to iMac

Tfstairs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I have had an iPad since they became available. I will be making the switch from PC to iMac very soon. Will any of the apps on my iPad transfer to the iMac to be used on that system? I'm guessing no because the operating systems are different. That should let you know the depth of my hardcore computer knowledge. I'm just surface scratcher....

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Tfstairs said:
So I have had an iPad since they became available. I will be making the switch from PC to iMac very soon. Will any of the apps on my iPad transfer to the iMac to be used on that system? I'm guessing no because the operating systems are different. That should let you know the depth of my hardcore computer knowledge. I'm just surface scratcher....

unfortunately you are correct, no they won't, but you will find a lot of decent free apps in the app store that will do most of what you need

that is for both the iPad, iMac and MacBook

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As you wisely concluded and Wytey confirmed, applications are not interchangeable between iOS devices (iPad, iPod, iPhone) and Macs...although many of the same applications do exist for both platforms (as well as Windows) and generally work well to seamlessly together.

There's been a great and spirited discussion about switching to a Mac on another thread...might be of interest...

http://www.ipadforums.net/anything-goes/28643-switch-mac.html

FWIW I'd wager that you will love the iMac! :)

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
I'm a little confused, are you asking if the app files on your PC can be transferred to you Mac?
Yes, they can. Here's support on apples website.

apple support, transfer from pc to Mac

Or the simplest way is to just backup you iTunes folder to a flash drive and import music, movies and the mobile applications folder manually to your new iMac.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Max said:
I'm a little confused, are you asking if the app files on your PC can be transferred to you Mac?
Yes, they can. Here's support on apples website.

apple support, transfer from pc to Mac

Or the simplest way is to just backup you iTunes folder to a flash drive and import music, movies and the mobile applications folder manually to your new iMac.

The OP asked about "apps", not files. But if he actually meant "files", then yes, that's correct, many/most files work between the applicable programs (apps) on a Mac and an iPad.

OP
T

Tfstairs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything "syncs" through iTunes, right? So when I plug into the iMac with the iPad all of the info will be directed through iTunes and accordingly sync with the appropriate matching apps/files. Yes?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything "syncs" through iTunes, right? So when I plug into the iMac with the iPad all of the info will be directed through iTunes and accordingly sync with the appropriate matching apps/files. Yes?
Yes and no. You can automatically sync some files, music, videos, audiobooks, podcasts and photos for example. However other files will require some "manual" direction on your part. What that will require is dependent on the application in question.

It's really not any different than dealing with files between computers. For the most part you have to decide where files will be saved even though both computers may have the same software applications.

You might want to have a look at these topics to get a better feel for how things work between your iPad and a computer...

iPad User Guide

Otherwise using the search feature of this forum will probably turn up some of the answers you might need going forward.

Most reactions

Latest posts