What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad syncing

bskinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was only able to sync photos to my ipad one time. Each time I have tried since then I get the attached screen shot of the display on my computer suggesting if I continue with the apply buttom the apps will all be erased. Also, I can only get the apply/revert buttons, not the sync buttons after I select the specific folder to sync and it does not indicate selected folder. This is true even when I turn automatic syncing off to allow automatic sync.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 290

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is warning about removal of apps. Go back into the Apps screen and make sure all the apps you don't want to erase from the iPad have checkmarks next to them.

Or try choosing "Revert" at the bottom of that screen (if available), and try to sync your photos again to see if the warning is gone.

OP
B

bskinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
more on syncing problem

I tried these suggestions and still get the exact same result as shown on the screen shot. Also, this is an ipad 1, not a 2, if that makes a difference.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK, another thing to try then:

Is iTunes authorized for the account? Go to the Store menu and choose authorized computer. Enter the account ID that the apps were bought with.

Axis360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think your using a different account. If you have two accounts then apps you bought on one can not be used on a different account. Hope that helps.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bskinner said:
Also, I can only get the apply/revert buttons, not the sync buttons after I select the specific folder to sync and it does not indicate selected folder. This is true even when I turn automatic syncing off to allow automatic sync.

Click apply then sync. That's normal.

OP
B

bskinner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got this working now. The original suggestion of checking all apps in itunes did work after I did it right. Thanks.

thediusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a slightly related question:
I just recently synced photos fro the first time and in the process itunes basically pulled EVERYTHING off my ipad.
I saw no warning that this was going to occur, just pressed "sync" after selecting the photos (didn't check ANYTHING else BTW), thought it was just gonna pull off/put on some photos, next thing I know I'm in the middle of an hour long sync.
I that had to sync again to put it all back on.
Played a stupid app game and noticed my save file was gone.. oh well, hadn't played that long and it's just a silly game, no big deal.
Go to work on some editing in pages... ALL my files are gone...
Illustrations I've been working on... gone.
Everthing related to all my apps, besides the apps themselves, gone.
MONTHS of work...
Anyhow, anybody heard of this before, perhaps know some magic technique to get all my documants back?
(I'm pretty pessimistically sure as to the answer...)

Thanks for any/all help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you remove an app from the iPad, all it's documents and associated files (like game saves) are deleted with it.

Since you did a second sync when you restored the apps and such, you'll have overwritten the backup that had app info saved. I'm afraid there isn't any way to get it back after that.

Unless you have some kind of automatic backup on your computer that backed files up between the two syncs, or an even older one that has most of your data. If that is true, it might be possible to retrieve the in-between backup and use it to restore some or all of your app data.

You would lose changes you made in the meantime, so you'd want to be careful to save important stuff off the iPad before the attempt.

thediusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet, figured as much.

So, for future referance, how do I avoid this happening again?
I never intended to pull the apps off my ipad, it just kind of... happened.
As long as that DOESN'T happen again, I assume I'm safe to sync?
Is there something I can be certain to make sure is/isn't checked, etc. before syncing?
And IF, by some chance, it does pull them all off again, what can I do to keep those back-ups you mentioned in tact before restoring the apps to the pad? (and if I notice this happening, can I just cancel the sync ASAP and keep what hasn't yet been affected in tact.)

Thanks again.

Reaction score
To play it safe, you could simply disallow app deletions, under Settings->General->Restrictions.

Otherwise you would have to backup the iTunes backups.
In windows they are located under
Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

You may have to turn on Show Hidden Folders in the Explorer options, if it is not already enabled to see the AppData folder.

thediusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet, I figured as much...

So, for future reference, how can I avoid this happening again?
Did I miss someting or do something wrong?
Really like(d) being able to write/draw on the go, but it's kinda useless if I can't keep the product..
I'm afraid to sync now :(
I'd be quite the hassle to email myself attachments of every document I've altered (none at this point, back to the ol' desktop for now...) since my last sync every time I do so, but it'd certainly be better than what happened... But there's gotta be a simpler solution, no?

Reaction score
thediusx said:
Thanks twerppoet, I figured as much...

So, for future reference, how can I avoid this happening again?
Did I miss someting or do something wrong?
Really like(d) being able to write/draw on the go, but it's kinda useless if I can't keep the product..
I'm afraid to sync now :(
I'd be quite the hassle to email myself attachments of every document I've altered (none at this point, back to the ol' desktop for now...) since my last sync every time I do so, but it'd certainly be better than what happened... But there's gotta be a simpler solution, no?

Unless you delete the apps manually, they will not disappear and delete the user data with them.

Syncing does not delete apps/data.

thediusx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Geez DontUnderstandMyIpad, guess I'll give all that a shot, thanks.

sorry 'bout the (now multiple) repost(s), first one said there was a connection issue posting so I had to rewrite it, only to find the original DID in fact post...

Reaction score
thediusx said:
I saw no warning that this was going to occur, just pressed "sync" after selecting the photos (didn't check ANYTHING else BTW)

Thanks for any/all help!

One more question, regarding this statement.

You made a manual sync and set it to only sync photos? In that case, it is no wonder, all your apps got removed, because you instructed iTunes to only sync photos and nothing else.

Most reactions

Latest posts