What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad stylus which has a fine tip?

abdu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All the styluses I have seen online have this fat pad that covers the whole end of the stylus. I don't see how this is used to draw fine lines. I am looking for a stylus which has a finer tip best used for drawing fine lines and handwriting.

txdave13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every drawing program (that I've seen) sets the line thickness by a selection on the tool bar. The actual thickness of what you're drawing with - stylus or finger - doesn't affect the thickness of the line. You want a thin line, select it from the tool bar. Just like selecting the color you're drawing with.

However, I would like a finer tip just because it makes it difficult to see exactly what you're writing/drawing.

Inked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
abdu said:
All the styluses I have seen online have this fat pad that covers the whole end of the stylus. I don't see how this is used to draw fine lines. I am looking for a stylus which has a finer tip best used for drawing fine lines and handwriting.

Can try looking at Dagi stylus. It doesn't have a fine tip but a clear tip with a red dot in the center so you can see where your touching on the iPad easier. I ordered one a few days ago and waiting for it to come in. Only places to order them so far is eBay. Hope this helps

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Because of the type of touch screen it is, there is going to be a limit on how fine a point on a stylus will work. As above, since the stylus doesn't set the width of the line, then it is just a matter of being able to "see" better.

I have gotten around this by zooming in on the area I am working on. Not the best solution, but it works.

BrownHornet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Dagi 501, it is accurate in fine line writing or drawing. Try Dagi.com.tw. They included a 401 at no extra charge.

karlick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Dagi 501, it is accurate in fine line writing or drawing. Try Dagi.com.tw. They included a 401 at no extra charge.

Do you still love the Dagi? Was reading the reviews and many people said after a month the plastic tip got cloudy and it stopped working. Now that you've had it for a while, what do you think of the Dagi now?

I'm needing a fine point for signing contracts on the Ipad. Seems like all the products have a bad review. There's got to be one stylus out there that is designed at least for a little longevity and doesn't wear out in a month. Still searching for a reasonably good one, so your thoughts would be appreciated!

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Check out the Jot Pro at amazon.com. Amazon has the Dagi too. Amazingly similar designs.
I have had the Jot Pro for some time. I heard about it on this forum, when it was still in devopment and I believe there is a thread that provides a review by several users. Though I don't use it every day, I'm happy with the Jot Pro.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Once and for all, there is simply no feasible way to use a true "fine point" stylus on the iPad's capacitive screen. If there were, Steve Jobs would not have spent time at the original keynote lambasting the use of styluses and promoting the use of one's finger. (Mr. Jobs as master salesman knew how to turn a product weakness into a "feature.")

Briefly stated, what any stylus does is provide a relatively wide contact "circle" on the screen. The capacitive screen sees the center of that circle as the "touch point." Most inexpensive styluses obscure that "touch point" in order to make a contact "circle." Thus, the user has to become accustomed to a particular stylus and their particular "style" in holding it to determine exactly where the "touch point" is.

The Dagi and the Jot (from Adonit) try to get around this problem by providing a transparent contact point that enables a user to see what the iPad believes is the touch point (i.e. the middle of the circle.) I have a Jot Pro and it works well as long as the miniscule current flowing between the plastic contact disk and the touch point is not broken. This has been a problem with some Jot's and can be eliminated by applying a (very) tiny dab of conductive grease (available at a hardware store or Amazon) to the point of the stylus. I've never used the Dagi but another poster here (Heaviside) has used both and maintains the Jot (ed: error in original where I said Dagi) is far superior. He's the guru of styluses and I'll take his word for it.

There are other options. A couple of manufacturers claim to have solved the problem with a hardware solultion that senses the placement of their proprietary stylus on the screen and transmits the position to selected apps. Personally, I'm skeptical. It's an expensive solution. Requires a separate device to be plugged into the 30 pin connector, and works only with some note taking/drawing apps. YMMV.

Finally, many users find the iFaraday styluses to be a good alternative. The contact points are conductive fabric rather than rubber. They're smaller than most other styluses and glide across the screen very easily. Although I have the Jot Pro, I find myself reaching for one of the iFaraday styluses more often.

Last edited:

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once and for all, there is simply no feasible way to use a true "fine point" stylus on the iPad's capacitive screen. If there were, Steve Jobs would not have spent time at the original keynote lambasting the use of styluses and promoting the use of one's finger. (Mr. Jobs as master salesman knew how to turn a product weakness into a "feature.")

Briefly stated, what any stylus does is provide a relatively wide contact "circle" on the screen. The capacitive screen sees the center of that circle as the "touch point." Most inexpensive styluses obscure that "touch point" in order to make a contact "circle." Thus, the user has to become accustomed to a particular stylus and their particular "style" in holding it to determine exactly where the "touch point" is.

The Dagi and the Jot (from Adonit) try to get around this problem by providing a transparent contact point that enables a user to see what the iPad believes is the touch point (i.e. the middle of the circle.) I have a Jot Pro and it works well as long as the miniscule current flowing between the plastic contact disk and the touch point is not broken. This has been a problem with some Jot's and can be eliminated by applying a (very) tiny dab of conductive grease (available at a hardware store or Amazon) to the point of the stylus. I've never used the Dagi but another poster here (Heaviside) has used both and maintains the Dagi is far superior. He's the guru of styluses and I'll take his word for it.

There are other options. A couple of manufacturers claim to have solved the problem with a hardware solultion that senses the placement of their proprietary stylus on the screen and transmits the position to selected apps. Personally, I'm skeptical. It's an expensive solution. Requires a separate device to be plugged into the 30 pin connector, and works only with some note taking/drawing apps. YMMV.

Finally, many users find the iFaraday styluses to be a good alternative. The contact points are conductive fabric rather than rubber. They're smaller than most other styluses and glide across the screen very easily. Although I have the Jot Pro, I find myself reaching for one of the iFaraday styluses more often.

Great analysis, as usual, jsh1120, but I think you made a small "glitch": I think the Dagi is pretty poor. It is much like the Jot, but was quite ineffective when I tested it. With the conductive grease, the Jot is again my favorite for pure handwriting, with the iFaraday topping the list for multifunctional use.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you use the Jot Pro and find it drags and sticks a little because of your screen saver not working well with the Jot Pro, then try a little trick their customer service told be about. Take a piece scotch of magic transparent tape (the cloudy one) and cover the plastic tip. I know it sounds strange but it really works and saved me from having to remove my screen saver. Since the disc is see through the Jot Pro now feels like you are writing a pen.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great analysis, as usual, jsh1120, but I think you made a small "glitch": I think the Dagi is pretty poor. It is much like the Jot, but was quite ineffective when I tested it. With the conductive grease, the Jot is again my favorite for pure handwriting, with the iFaraday topping the list for multifunctional use.

Duh...Not sure whether to put it down to premature Alzheimer's or simple fat fingering, but yes, of course, I meant to say that you preferred the Jot to the Dagi. I'm inclined to agree on your assessment, as well. Have to say, though, that I don't get nearly enough practice with "pure handwriting." After so many years of typing and my current lifestyle where a keyboard is almost always at hend when I need to take any extensive notes, I typically revert to entering typed notes.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just when you lost all hope someone came out with this stylus that attaches to a variety of pens plus it has a fine point.

http://more-real.com/

image-2745428568.png

Cheers

marycorbitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought ipads only work with the heat of one's hand and fingertips. New info for a newbie like me. :)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My mistake, you are rift its not thin, I was to quick to post. As I understand the size is pre-determined because there needs to be a certain amount of contact for the screen to detect the input.

The nice thing about the "Cap" idea is that you can change the pen you are using so you have the most comfortable natural stylus around. And the tips are replaceable.

Back to the point. A quick google of fine tip stylus will show that a bunch of these are in the pipeline so I hope we see a good one soon.
Hopefully this will make up for my mis-post

"Estylo 1.1 from Plai for sketching.I think , E.stylo is indeed with no doubt the most accurate capacitive stylus available in global market,which works without any direct electronic support or radio frequency support."
YouTube it

Cheers

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts