What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad stuck with apple logo after "erase and restore"

godzillja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone help?
My ipad is a jailbroken 4.2.1 (with Pwnage Tool), and after I did erase and restore in "Settings", it's frozen with the apple logo.
I cannot put it in recovery mode, NOTHING works.
HELP!

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying resetting by hold the home button and the sleep button until the screen turns off and turns back on with the apple logo.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that since you did the erase and restore, you don't mind if you lose your jailbreak. So, I'd recommend you put your device into DFU and then install a fresh iOS 4.3.3 on it. Here's what f4780y has written concerning putting a device into DFU:

In order to put your device into DFU mode you must press the "home" and "power" buttons together for EXACTLY 10 seconds at which point you must release "power" but continue to hold "home". After about 15 seconds, the device will enter DFU mode. There is no way to tell from the screen that this has happened as it will remain black. If you see the Apple logo you got the timing wrong. You can just try again until you get it right. It is perfectly normal for the iPad to reset at the 7 second mark. Do not be put off by this. The timing of your button release must be exactly 10 seconds. It is best not to even look at the screen as this will only put you off. You may like to try using your watch to get the timing precise.

If everything went to plan, iTunes should now recognise a device in DFU mode and prompt you to restore it. It may take a few seconds for Windows to install DFU mode drivers if this is the first time you have used it. DO NOT interrupt the process. Otherwise iTunes will never recognise the device and you'll have to do a bit of maintenance in the control panel to get things working.

Once you get the iTunes prompt to restore, select "begin as new" (or some words to that effect) and iTunes will put a brand new iOS 4.3.3 on your iPad.

If you saved your 4.2.1 SHSH blobs, and you want to put that version back on your iPad, see this sticky: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...815-how-downgrade-your-ipad-ios-firmware.html (which is where I stole the DFU process steps from).

As a recent 4.3.3 upgrader, however, I'd say "come on in, the water's fine!" - many nice improvements here. YMMV.

Anyway, hope this helped. Good luck and let us know if you have more questions.

Marilyn

OP
G

godzillja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you!!!! It's back to normal, jailbroken and all is well.
Big fat wet kiss!!!

g0t0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same issue but the solution here doesnt work.

Jailbroken 4.2.1 with Greenp0ison. did a reset all settings and ended with the stuck on apple logo. had Itunes recognize the ipad but gave me a "cannot upgrade " type message (3419 or similar to that code). then itunes no longer would recognize the ipad. Had to reinstall itunes so it could recognize, same result.

tried forcing with snowbreeze and redsn0w, but they kept having issues with recognizing any of the ipsw's they linked. Used greenp0ison and got it to run the jailbreak (looked like it cuz i saw stuff on the ipad like it was jb'ing) BUT ipad ends back up to the apple logo.

Ipad also drains its battery in this situation. Any different ideas? any is helpful!:eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Need a little bit more information, please, as in, what are you trying to do with your iPad? Unjailbreak it? Upgrade it? Restore and put iOS 4.2.1 back on?

For most of the questions, if the answer is yes, give a try on following the steps outlined in this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

It has helped a lot of people get their iPads in good working order. Let us know how you get on or if that doesn't help/work...

Marilyn

g0t0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Need a little bit more information, please, as in, what are you trying to do with your iPad? Unjailbreak it? Upgrade it? Restore and put iOS 4.2.1 back on?

For most of the questions, if the answer is yes, give a try on following the steps outlined in this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

It has helped a lot of people get their iPads in good working order. Let us know how you get on or if that doesn't help/work...

Marilyn

I'm just trying to get it to turn on. either thru JB'ing or plain upgrading, just getting it to run is what I need. I did try the tinyumbrells, but it didn't look to work, but there weren't any real instructions so I was winging it. I'll try your suggestions and let you know how it comes out.

g0t0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried tinyumbrella. doesnt recognize the Ipad. tried to put the ipad in dfu mode but no go.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All I can suggest is to try again to get the iPad into DFU mode. I usually run a stopwatch on my desktop to ensure I hold for the requisite 10 seconds...

It's just that I've never heard of people not being able to get the iPad into DFU - which is why I suggest trying again.

Marilyn

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are jailbroken you can't hit "erase and restore" in settings. It kills your iPad. You have to use dfu mode an restore with iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts