What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Slingbox SlingPlayer works on wifi but not 3G

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, I just upgraded my Slingbox to a Solo HD (from Classic) and purchased the iPad version of SlingPlayer Mobile. It works fine over wifi, but when I try over 3G I get a "SlingPlayer cannot connect to your Slingbox" message. I dont understand why it doesn't work. I have the iPhone SlingPlayer app working fine on the same iPad over 3G (and wifi), so why wont the iPad SlingPlayer work over 3G? FYI my 3G is Vodafone - not that I think that's relevent cos as I said the iPhone SlingPlayer app installed on the same iPad works fine over the Vodafone 3G. Doh! Any contributions from the fine readership of this forum will greatly received to help me get my iPad version of SlingPlayer working over 3G! Thanks.

(Appols to those of you who've read this in one of my other thread replies - but I thought this was important enough to put in its own thread.)

Philip.

TRW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem

My Ipad was working well with slingplayer mobile using Vodafone 3g until the end of last week. I cannot be sure but there was an automatic slingplayer update which seems to have caused the problem. I can still view over a wifi connection but not 3G. I have deleted my software and reloaded it but still no better. I am thoroughly fed up with it as the ability to view tv on the move using an ipad with slingplayer was one of the main attractions of the ipad for me. If I cannot resolve it soon I think I will chop my ipad in for a notebook as I have no such problems with my non mac laptop. I am sorry I cannot suggest a solution but thought it might help you to know that there are others in the same boat.

TRW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just had a thought. Does anybody know how to dwonload version 1.0 of slingplayer mobile (ie without the latest update). As my ipad worked fine with 3g before the update I woud like to revert to that but I am not sure how to do it. Many thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have the app synced to iTunes, but haven't synced it back to iTunes since the update (i.e. the previous version is in iTunes on the computer), you could delete the app on the iPad and sync with iTunes. That will uncheck the app for syncing. Check the box to make it sync again, and sync.

This is half guess work, so I don't guarentee it will work, but it shouldn't hurt. You can always go back to the App Store and get the udated version again.

OP
J

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thx TRW, I'm guessing it must be an intermittent fault cos my iPad Slinplayer over 3G now works fine, and I didn't do anything to try to fix it! The problem just went away on the Monday following posting on the Sling forum that I had the problem. The cynic in me suggests maybe it was a problem at the Slingmedia end where they map the IP address of the player to the IP address of the Slingbox, and one of the techies at Slingmedia saw my post when he turned up for work after the weekend and fixed it. My advice to you would be to put a post on the Slingbox forum Slingbox Answers Forum: Community: SlingPlayer Mobile for iPad describing the problem and maybe yours will get fixed too.

Most reactions

Latest posts