What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + separate dedicated ebook reader?

iPad + Dedicated eBook Reader?

• Just an iPad. I don't want another device.

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Just an iPad but I might also want an eBook reader.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • iPad + Nook

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • iPad + Kindle

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • iPad + other eBook reading device

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, been thinking that I want to get a separate, dedicated ebook reader like a Kindle or a Nook for a few reasons, not least of which is the undeniable truth that the screens on these dedicated readers are much easier on the eye than the iPad for long reading sessions. Also, I would feel a little more comfortable taking a $180-ish device more places than a device that cost me what the iPad cost me.

Anyone have both?
Do you feel like you have redundant devices?
Do you feel like you have the best of both worlds?

wrandy999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:
So, been thinking that I want to get a separate, dedicated ebook reader like a Kindle or a Nook for a few reasons, not least of which is the undeniable truth that the screens on these dedicated readers are much easier on the eye than the iPad for long reading sessions. Also, I would feel a little more comfortable taking a $180-ish device more places than a device that cost me what the iPad cost me.

Anyone have both?

I have both, and although the Kindle is generally easier to read during the day, I usually forget the night light I use to read when it is dark. I also have trouble remembering where I last left the Kindle when I've been using the iPad.

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wreybies said:

Anyone have both?

I have both. I much prefer the Nook for reading. I keep it on my nightstand, typically. If I travel for the weekend and know I won't be reading as much, I just take my iPad and use the Nook App. It's easier than taking two devices, and they app syncs with the Nook.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle from way back when, which I stopped using as soon as I got my iPad 1. I read at least a book a week, but don't need a separate device.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a Sony ereader. Since I got my iPad, sent the ereader to my son. Since I rarely leave home I don't have an issue with losing my iPad. I like my iPad because I can do everything on it. So, I don't see a reason to have two devices. I use my iPad from about 7:00 in the morning to about 10:00 at night. I don't seem to have any more problem with eye strain than I did before I got it.

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 plus Kobo 1st gen here.

The advantage depends on what you want to read. Any non-fiction with graphs and tables are a nuissance to read on a Kobo. The load times are also quite involved on the Kobo e-reader, taking a good ninety seconds from when you grab the thing to when you read page one, if not more.

Tha advantage for the Kobo is simple. No matter how nice the screen on an iPad is, e-ink >>> LED. It's easier on the eyes, it looks sharp, it's comfortable. If e-ink was WAY faster, and had color, it would make a game changing tablet.

I'm quite certain within 10-15 years, these two devices will merge, and you will see an e-ink tablet with a week long battery life and full color omnipresent Internet. By Apple or others. And it will be awesomer than you can imagine. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Pocketbook 360[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT] Plus e-reader that I use for reading instead of my iPad. I prefer it for reading text-based ebooks, which are most all I read (fiction).

The PB360[FONT=&quot]° Plus[/FONT] is about the size of a CD case, weighs about 6.3 ounces (180 grams) and is designed with a detachable hard cover to protect the screen. It is so convenient to use - especially with the ability to rotate the screen so I can easily switch the hand that holds it. It is very portable; in fact, I can/have fit it into my trouser pocket.

The two are great complements to each other. The PB360[FONT=&quot]°[/FONT] Plus for reading and the iPad for everything else.

I'd always choose a separate e-reader over the iPad for reading novels. Just more comfortable to hold/use. But, that's me...

Marilyn

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad and a kindle and they are very different devices. I wouldn't want to read books in bed on the ipad (too heavy & bright) and I can't read on it outside in the sun.

The screen on the kindle is so much easier on the eyes! Plus it fits in a coat pocket and has free 3g,

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be honest, if I could use a dedicated e-reader in my country, I wouldn't even have bothered getting an iPad in the first place. I'd just use it for reading and my laptop for gaming and everything else.

But it doesn't seem like I have much of a choice, thanks to geographical matters.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used to have a Kindle2, but we sold it when I got the iPad. Now I can share lent books from my wife's nookcolor and read all the kindle books I have from before, too. I don't have any eye strain.
The kindle is much easier to read in the sun, but I don't spend much time sitting in direct sun anyway. I'm glad to have the iPad.

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not crazy about dragging around a footlocker of gadgets and frankly, I had to really ponder on the iPad. I have a W7 phone and it does what I need it to. The only reason I purchased the iPad2 was for an upcoming month long trip to the east cost and Europe. Nice to keep track of my flight plans and listen or watch content during those long flights and layovers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bigted

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the e-reader long before I even thought I would consider an iPad (what was I thinking)! I like them both for reading. My e-reader is very very basic has no wifi or day or date function. As a result as long as I don't sync the reader to the pc, borrowed library books don't expire like they do on the iPad. Having said that I love that I can read in bed with the iPad without a light. As for direct sunlight I don't sit in direct sunlight fo it to be an issue.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I chose to give my ereader to my son because of the small screen. I like the larger screen on the iPad which means larger type. At 69, this makes a difference.

abridgedone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad + kindle. I read quite a bit (6 books this week). I find the e-ink on the kindle to be easier on my eyes, plus the battery on the kindle lasts a lot longer. The iPad can also be awkward to hold and doesn't travel as well because it doesn't fit into my purse. I only read on the iPad if my kindle isn't at hand or charging, though I love having the option to switch devices if one loses a charge or etc. I usually travel with both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the iPad because of internet accessibility.

Most reactions

Latest posts