What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad RAM

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was at my local Apple Store awhile back looking at iPads and I asked the guy at the store how much RAM the iPad 2's had in them and he told me it was a "trade secret". I don't know how the amount of RAM could be a trade secret. I mean, RAM is RAM. What difference does it make?

Anyway, how much RAM does the iPad 2 have?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was at my local Apple Store awhile back looking at iPads and I asked the guy at the store how much RAM the iPad 2's had in them and he told me it was a "trade secret". I don't know how the amount of RAM could be a trade secret. I mean, RAM is RAM. What difference does it make?

Its a "trade secret" because Apple uses 512mb and doesn't want you comparing that to other tablets which use significantly more.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple does not list the RAM because the way they use the RAM causes it to seem like more. Vendors have a tendency to find buzz specs and then slap components in without a whole lot of effort. Apple tunes all of the components for the most effective operation within their price restraints. Most of the reviewers felt that the iPad 2 was impressive, even though it turned out it only had 512 RAM on teardown.

Specs are OK, but it is like car engines. Everyone looks at peak HP, but it is more important to observe where the peak HP comes in at, and how much torque it has. My brother has a Honda Ridgeback that he tows with. The V6 is rated about the same as my Dakota, but when he tows, he has to run around 5000+ rpm, while I run about 3000 rpm towing. It is not a pleasant thing to haul any distance with the engine wound that tight.

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsempire said:

I don't know about a trade secret since it was outed in one of the first teardowns after its release. I agree - what difference does it make? As long as it has enough to do the job I'm fine with what has, however much that might be. If it doesn't have enough to do the job then what difference if it has 64k or 4gb? It doesn't have enough.

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The amount of RAM does make a difference when using safari and you have multiple tabs or pages open in the back ground. I use an origional iPad and will often have multiple web pages open so I can switch quickly to a page. The origional iPad has to reload the page each time I switch, where the iPad 2 does not. tipb did a very good demonstration of this at the following link

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/12/ipad-ipad-2-comparison-ram-performance-mobile-safari/

Pagliacci

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple can get a little hard about employees that talk about issues that are not official Apple released information. Employees who talk about future releases are severely dealt with. Considering the legal ramifications of such talk, it is not surprising.

Most reactions

Latest posts