What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad predictions 2017 models

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where do you think Apple is going with the iPad? The iPhone seems to get quite a bit of media attention, and the new Macs gave us a few surprises.

What's next for the iPad?

I have a few guesses.

Say goodbye to the headphone socket. I think that Taptic Engine is on its way along with the iPhone 7 home button.

OLED screens? Maybe. Apple seem to be sourcing quite a few suppliers.

Anything else you think we will see, or would like to see?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The next one will most certainly have the A10 chip. As you say perhaps OLED and a taptic home key. And... no doubt 3D touch.

I think they'll keep the earphone. There's lots of room on the perimeter of an iPod case to mount a jack. (Unless they make the next iPad waterproof -- In which case they might just lose the earphone since there is one less hole in the case to worry about).

I don't know what else they can do size wise. There are three sizes already and they're all pretty light and thin. I can't see them adding yet another. And, I doubt there's any way to improve on the resolution of the retina display.

We'll see :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think we'll see USB C compatibility in the charging port of all the iPad models next year, not just in the 12.7" iPad Pro.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with scifan re. USB C, l think also that the headphone jack will be gone. And also the rear facing camera with maybe improvements to the front camera for Skype users etc.
And of course the price will go up, that goes without saying.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see flash added to the camera on all iPad models. It has more uses than just taking flash pictures. When laid face down, the device can alert you to incoming messages or phone calls if you're hearing impaired. It can also be used as a flashlight during power failures.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would agree with scion about adding a flash to the camera.

I bought iPad Pro recently so I won't be upgrading again for some time but it will be interesting to see what comes next.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most reliable prediction: there will be new stuff no one needs, some useful features will go missing, and everything will still be vastly overpriced.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with scifan re. USB C, l think also that the headphone jack will be gone. And also the rear facing camera with maybe improvements to the front camera for Skype users etc.
And of course the price will go up, that goes without saying.

I don't use Skype but friends do so that would be nice for them. I use external drives so would love USB C, dongles and all. I have AirPods coming Wednesday so don't care about MIC--but I've been using other BT earphones (non buds) for awhile with all my devices-gave my cabled ones to husband who doesn't use earphones like I do. I'm most concerned about the Ipad Pro 12.9" but don't plan to upgrade it until there are sufficient reasons to do so--none of those would do it on this go round.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oh, wow, would I be happy. I can live with dongles, etc to be able to use USB in any format.

On the Mac laptops running macOS, the USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3) ports allows charging, data transfer, and video; however, an USB adapter cable will be needed to attach to these newest generation connections - see pics below from this Apple Article.

Now, if Apple in the newer iPads replaces the 'Lightning Charging Port' w/ the newer USB-C one, the device will still be running iOS which is not an hierarchal OS, like macOS or Windows, and using standard USB drives (or external HDs w/ a USB-C cable) in the same manner is likely not going to happen in my mind - BUT, iOS can always be changed in upcoming versions and/or developer's might come up w/ an 'iPad Manager' like iExplorer (which I use) which might allow the use of external HDs in a more traditional fashion - don't know but will be interesting? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 11.59.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 12.00.28 PM.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the Mac laptops running macOS, the USB-C (or Thunderbolt 3) ports allows charging, data transfer, and video; however, an USB adapter cable will be needed to attach to these newest generation connections - see pics below from this Apple Article.

Now, if Apple in the newer iPads replaces the 'Lightning Charging Port' w/ the newer USB-C one, the device will still be running iOS which is not an hierarchal OS, like macOS or Windows, and using standard USB drives (or external HDs w/ a USB-C cable) in the same manner is likely not going to happen in my mind - BUT, iOS can always be changed in upcoming versions and/or developer's might come up w/ an 'iPad Manager' like iExplorer (which I use) which might allow the use of external HDs in a more traditional fashion - don't know but will be interesting? Dave :)
View attachment 75288 View attachment 75289
Data transfer between the large iPad Pro and a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the lightning to USB C cable is significantly faster than with a USB 2 or 3 connection. This means much faster syncing.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Data transfer between the large iPad Pro and a MacBook or MacBook Pro with the lightning to USB C cable is significantly faster that a USB 2 or 3 connection. This means much faster syncing.

OH, I agree - have looked at the transfer rates in the link in my post - my question from Diane's post and implication that the newer iPads w/ this USB-C connection could use a standard external HD similar to plugging into a macOS or PC computer? Just doubtful that Apple will allow the rigidly 'sandboxed' iOS to permit that usage - but will be completely open - hard to predict what Apple may do or not? Dave :)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the subject of Skype, perhaps they will bring in fingerprint login (or even auto fill password)?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the subject of Skype, perhaps they will bring in fingerprint login (or even auto fill password)?
That will be up to Skype as Apple now allows third party apps to use Touch ID for logging in. My banking app now uses Touch ID to log in.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts