What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD PPTP WIFI Connectivity Problems

aga2571

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue, and have managed to find a work around / fix.

I use the IPAD1 with OS 4.3.3(8J3) and all works as expected apart from the VPN. I have a VPN setup that uses the PPTP protocol and i can connect fine via a PC running windows 7. with the ipad i am unable to connect to the VPN server over wireless.

Having googled and read forums -some say its a OS issue, others state its encryption.I have disabled encryption for the VPN, disabled enctyption on the Wireless router but still have the connectivity issue over wireless. even tried various wireless a/b/n setting - However, if i turn on the 3g connectivity it connects to the vpn server perfectly.

any suggestions will be most helpful.

thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what wireless ADSL router you have but, on mine - a Linksys, VPN is disabled by default. It's buried quite deep in the Linksys menus so it's easy to overlook. I'm sure you'll have checked this, but just thought I'd mention it......

Tim

mbrizida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly same problem. I searced answers on google, ipad forum, etc, and unlike other problems, for this particular problem, I found zero solutions, and only few problems related.
Could somebody please help us?
Thank you.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly same problem. I searced answers on google, ipad forum, etc, and unlike other problems, for this particular problem, I found zero solutions, and only few problems related.
Could somebody please help us?
Thank you.

Did you check to see if VPN is disabled on your router? In my Linksys, as I mentioned, it's buried quite deeply in the menu structure.

Tim

mbrizida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for you answer, but like aga2571, I have no problems connecting my pc. It works fine, and ipad connects to vpn, router detects it, and symbol of vpn connection appears on the screen. The problem is that I don't have access to anything.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for you answer, but like aga2571, I have no problems connecting my pc. It works fine, and ipad connects to vpn, router detects it, and symbol of vpn connection appears on the screen. The problem is that I don't have access to anything.

OK - but aga2571 can connect over VPN using 3G but can't connect using WiFi via his router. So I suspected that he has VPN disabled in the router. The iPad set-up must be OK as he can connect via 3G.

Tim

mbrizida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, my problem is in fact a bit different.
When I try to establish a vpn to my network (by 3G or wi-fi) I have the same problem: athetication is ok, login is ok, remote router identifies correctly the user, ipad has vpn sign on screen, but no data flows between private network and ipad. I'm not able to ping machines on my vpn from ipad, and machines on vpn cannot ping ipad, despite correct vpn connection of ipad. When I connect my portable computer to same vpn, by 3G or wi-fi, it works fine. Configuration is the same.
I deleted vpn configuration some times and created it again, tried all security options, and so on, and nothing works.
Could somebody help me?
Thank you.

OP
A

aga2571

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear All,

Just to put some clarity on things, I am connecting to a Cisco RV042 router (at the office) which has an inbuilt pptp server, as mentioned in my previous post i can connect perfectly from my windows 7 laptop (home pc) using ppt to the RV042 at the office. I can also access the office LAN devices. So, this proves everything on the VPN side of things is setup correctly and works as expected. The Windows 7 Laptop connects via Wireless to the home router.

So, now if I configure my Ipad on the home WLAN I can connect to the internet and pick up my mail, which proves that the wireless connectivity and internet connectivity is functional and works as expected.

However, if I configure the PPTP VPN settings on the ipad and try to connect to the office via WIFI - it fails. If I disable the wireless on the IPAD and enable the 3G connectivity, I am able to connect to the office perfectly using the same vpn setting (that did'nt work over wifi) - so..????

Stuck !!! may be its a OS issue ???

lifesaver2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was recently confronted with this same problem. It seems that the iOS does not properly send ALL traffic through the VPN when connected. If your local WiFi network and the remote VPN connected network use the same subnet (e.g., 192.168.0.x) then traffic that should be going to the VPN will stay in your local network. Workaround is to change one of the network's subnet.

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would post this solution for others who find this forum via a Google search as I did.

Edit: I realize in re-reading this that two different problems are mentioned. The OP, aga2571 cannot connect to the VPN at all via Wifi. I can't help with that. My solutions is for mbrizida, who can connect but not pass traffic.

Last edited:

sa_alien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to solve this problem?
Very weird that VPN works OK with 3G but not with ADSL

iDunno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please figure out how to solve this problem.
This seems to be some sort of protocol or software issue with iPad.
I can connect with XP, Win 7 and XP virtual session via VPN using my ADSL or 3G connections, but with iPAD2 it only works with the 3G.
(The 3G connection is via a portable Wi-Fi hotspot setup on a DELL Streak Android 2.2)

bvanbrunt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solved

This problem seems to be really common. It is caused when the home network uses the same default gateway and the same IP address patterns as the VPN.

For example most routers use the default gateway 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and all the IP addresses follow the same pattern. If you try to connect to the VPN with and then try and connect to say a server with the IP address 192.168.0.3 it tries to connect to the machine assigned with that IP address on the home network instead of on the VPN.

The solution is to change the default gateway of the router to something different. I just changed it to 192.168.2.1 and everything works perfect now.

CMITEngineer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to comment on this, though it is an old thread, it is still just as valid, but no, I do not have a resolution, Just a clarification of the issue.

Firstly, I am an IT Engineer, and work with systems integration for a living. I have also worked with MANY mobile devices and tablets, in various ways, including rooting etc. So I think I have a good enough background to diagnose the issue. I have also seen this same problem on numerous devices, though this is the first that I have seen un-patched for so long.

This is definitely a problem with the coding of the VPN software. It is very easy to replicate using Fing (A free network scan app) and a VPN connection. While connected to the vpn, all scans will only show the local subnet. The cause really is not related to subnets or IP Schemes, though yes, that can cause a problem with multiple vpn clients. The cause is the underlying coding which forces all traffic through the vpn. This is also why it works on 3g, but not on wifi. The coding for a vpn client always has code specific to the adapter that is being used.

Apple - though I know you don't give a crap about any of your brainwashed subjects, let alone those of us that despise your name, this is your software. Please have a programmer look into the code and troubleshoot the traffic flow.

Thank you.

Most reactions

Latest posts