What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad pencil

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Apple Pencil (1st generation) won’t work with the iPads announced today. If you intend to use these with a pencil, you’ll need the 2nd generation.
22E30495-78C6-4140-B1C3-623511FC0977.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And reading told me why—no practical way to connect/pair or charge since there is no lightning port. And the Pencil 2 charges wirelessly so current Ipad (I have first gen 12.9–but have ordered a gen 3 and new Pencil since I use it daily) can’t charge it. I was going to wait on the Pencil since we have 2 Pencil 1s but realized that I had to have a 2–and I do use it quite a bit.

The 2 will solve several problems—constant charging so you don’t get low Pencil battery quite often, that the connection will be easy and constant, it will be available to you all the time attached to your Ipad magnetically (I have a magnetic sleeve on my current Pencil so know how handy this will be) and for those that have cap loss problems—no more cap—and it has a flat side so it won’t roll and a matte finish so grippier I assume.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see no reason pencil won’t work on new iPad. Should charge same as now and should still hook up as before.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 1st generation pencil was charging when you put it into the lightning port (there‘s none on the new iPad Pro), and to connect it via Bluetooth, you also had to put it into the lightning port. As there‘s an USB-C port on the new devices, you can‘t charge it, and it won‘t connect to the iPad.

Diane B has already explained it in the post above.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With out looking at the adaptor I can only say that charging the pencil may be possible through an adaptor, but it is highly unlikely you can pair the old pencil with the new iPad Pros this way. The new Pros do not pair through the port USB-C port. They pair thorugh the wireless connection on the edge. They would not be expecting a pairing request through the port.

Vice-versa would also be true. You might find a wireless charger that will charge new pencil, but you would be unable to pair it with an old iPad Pro, because the pencile does not have a Lightning connector.

Pairing the pencils appears to be te biggest obsticle, not the charging.

It’s also possible that Apple has tweaked the underling technology in the pencil and iPad, so that they are not compatible. We don’t know.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With out looking at the adaptor I can only say that charging the pencil may be possible through an adaptor, but it is highly unlikely you can pair the old pencil with the new iPad Pros this way. The new Pros do not pair through the port USB-C port. They pair thorugh the wireless connection on the edge. They would not be expecting a pairing request through the port.

Vice-versa would also be true. You might find a wireless charger that will charge new pencil, but you would be unable to pair it with an old iPad Pro, because the pencile does not have a Lightning connector.

Pairing the pencils appears to be te biggest obsticle, not the charging.

It’s also possible that Apple has tweaked the underling technology in the pencil and iPad, so that they are not compatible. We don’t know.
If the old pencil won’t pair the old way how will anything else pair as in speakers headphones etc.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the old pencil won’t pair the old way how will anything else pair as in speakers headphones etc.

Only the pencil depended on the Lightning port to pair. The other devices use either standard Bluetooth pairing, or some other enhanced method; like the Apple Watch and Airpods.

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wondering if the new pencil will attach magnetically if the ipad pro is in a case?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a third party case it would depend on how thick the case was and what it's made of. In any case it wouldn't be very secure. With the Smart Folio and Smart Keyboard Folio for the iPad Pro, they cover the front and back but leave the sides exposed for easy attachment of the iPad Pencil.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s not true on the smart case. Can’t speak for the keyboard one but received my iPad Pro case from Apple Saturday and it’s like the old days. Just like a book. Has the side.

Most reactions