What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Owners Unhappy at Fast Refresh

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

BGR writes today that according to a new survey, nearly half of iPad owners polled are unhappy that a new full-sized iPad model has been launched by Apple so soon after the iPad 3 was launched at the start of the year. The survey, from Toluna QuickSurveys, found that 43% of US consumers polled were angry that the fourth-generation iPad had been launched just seven months after the third-generation iPad. BGR says that consumers would not have been so upset if the iPad had just been updated with the addition of a Lightning dock connector, for example, but the fact that it has a new-and-improved processor, the A6X, could be what really rankles with people. Toluna found that those polled were much more enthusiastic about the iPad mini, with 14% saying they would definitely buy it, and 32% saying that they will probably buy it. More people actually said they would buy the Kindle Fire, however. Also, 21% of those polled, or 1 in 5, said they would buy an iPad mini as a holiday gift.

Source: Apple iPad 4 consumer reaction: survey shows 45% of iPad 3 owners upet | BGR

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nah never noticed with a lot of the angry posts here at iPF. Don't know what they are talking about.

/sarcasm!

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not thrilled, but it is what it is. I bought my 3 in March and its been fine all this time and will continue to fine. I'm not in a position to replace it.

maire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The turnover rate for any of the electronic devices often makes me hesitate. The only thing that plays a bigger role on when I buy or don't buy, and what I buy or don't buy, is my ability to afford the device when I want to get it. With a lot of us, this fast rate starts to be a real turnoff in general. But as long as there is a market for newer and better, the manufacturers will continue to speed up the process.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
maire said:
The turnover rate for any of the electronic devices often makes me hesitate. The only thing that plays a bigger role on when I buy or don't buy, and what I buy or don't buy, is my ability to afford the device when I want to get it. With a lot of us, this fast rate starts to be a real turnoff in general. But as long as there is a market for newer and better, the manufacturers will continue to speed up the process.

Unfortunately, that's the way of the industry. I'm sure the manufacturers would prefer to sit back and relax, but while the market is driven by competition they have no choice but to continually improve their models.

When I first joined this forum, nearly every new tablet launch was hailed as the "iPad killer" by sections of the tech media, including some who should have known better. We don't hear that now.

All I can suggest is that you buy what you are comfortable with and enjoy it. The iPad is a remarkable machine, whichever version you have

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if they're unhappy, I wonder what they'll do. Are they ready to jump to an Android tablet or an MS Surface? If not, it doesn't matter if they're unhappy. I'm guessing that most of them will keep buying Apple, and Apple probably factored that in ahead of time.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if they jump to Android/MS what are they going to find? More of the same. You think Android are standing still? It wasn't so long back that people were whining because Apple took a year to come up with updates, and Android were so far ahead.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if they jump to Android/MS what are they going to find? More of the same. You think Android are standing still? It wasn't so long back that people were whining because Apple took a year to come up with updates, and Android were so far ahead.

Just look at the Nexus 7. It was released in July and a new one was already released this week. One of the major reasons I jumped ship awhile back was due to a new Android device being released ever 2 weeks. I am more than happy to deal with every 6 months.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
seneca18 said:
Just look at the Nexus 7. It was released in July and a new one was already released this week. One of the major reasons I jumped ship awhile back was due to a new Android device being released ever 2 weeks. I am more than happy to deal with every 6 months.

Yeah, I fully expect products to be updated and released as new models fairly frequently in this industry. There will always be something bigger, faster, whatever. Everyone got what they paid for and if their tablet is working good, like mine, then there isn't anything to fret over. Someone will always just have bought the previous model no matter when they release something new. It's just the way of things.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

No, I don't think Android is standing still, lol, which is why it doesn't really matter if some iPad owners are unhappy. Tech just works that way, and Apple has to try to stay competitive, like everyone else.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

But that "crazy" turnover rate can't be that bad for us in the sense that it forces us to now understand that:
1) whatever we buy may be (" obsolete, not the latest" pretty soon)
2) there is a new marketing philosophy developing by / forced on to Apple by competition
3) We would be better off now concentrating on USING our devices rather than concerned about chasing new technology UNTIL that new technology coincides with our NEEDS.
4) Loyalty to a particular manufacturer can then be more flexible. At least, given that Apple has virtually said, never mind your needs, our needs are our own marketing imperatives and we think you will buy Apple because you have bought Apple to the tune of over 100 billion devices so far.
(5 What we spend on a device will now dictate which brand we may choose, in this latest "new model" race.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But that "crazy" turnover rate can't be that bad for us in the sense that it forces us to now understand that:
2) there is a new marketing philosophy developing by / forced on to Apple by competition
3) We would be better off now concentrating on USING our devices rather than concerned about chasing new technology UNTIL that new technology coincides with our NEEDS.
4) Loyalty to a particular manufacturer can then be more flexible. At least, given that Apple has virtually said, never mind your needs, our needs are our own marketing imperatives and we think you will buy Apple because you have bought Apple to the tune of over 100 billion devices so far.
(5 What we spend on a device will now dictate which brand we may choose, in this latest "new model" race.

I've never understood why people felt competitive about having the latest device as long as what they already owned worked for them. Seriously, are people impressed if you have the latest iDevice? They sell millions of these things. It's not any kind of accomplishment to own one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even if they're unhappy, I wonder what they'll do. Are they ready to jump to an Android tablet or an MS Surface? If not, it doesn't matter if they're unhappy. I'm guessing that most of them will keep buying Apple, and Apple probably factored that in ahead of time.

Jump? See, if you're like me, and have some of everything, you can't jump. You can just be unhappy! (not) :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Of course only over 100 million, thinking big here

Most reactions

Latest posts