What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad out on the ocean?

one_crazy_dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's up all?

Question, have a friend who is looking to get an iPad for his boat it's large and will be inside. The problem is after going out into the ocean so far he knows all 3G services are non existent. He has asked me if there is any way to se his USB satellite card he has for his laptop on the iPad so he can still access Internet beyond AT&T/ Verizon reach. I did some goggling but came up short in answers. Any one got any ideas? Can it be done?

Veritas4420

iPF Noob
Reaction score
read the post to fast and not carefully lol, hope someone else has some insight.

Last edited:
OP
O

one_crazy_dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SingingSabre said:
He would have to set his satellite card up to be a wifi hotspot.

Can that be done? I need to look up satellite cards. Didn't even know it could be done

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can that be done? I need to look up satellite cards. Didn't even know it could be done

Anything can be done for a price I'm sure that the technology exists it's only a question of whether he wants to use it.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, I belive your friend would need to setup the latop, that is using the card, as a wifi hotspot. Search this forum for "wifi hotspot" and you will find instructions on how to setup the laptop.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, I belive your friend would need to setup the latop, that is using the card, as a wifi hotspot. Search this forum for "wifi hotspot" and you will find instructions on how to setup the laptop.

I don't know if it will work, but there is a chance, and I just happen to keep those links handy.

Turn your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

How to Turn Your XP Laptop into a Mobile Wi-Fi Hotspot
Create an Instant Wireless Hotspot Using Your Connected Windows XP Notebook

Turn Your Vista Laptop into a Mobile Hotspot
Share Internet Connections on a Vista Laptop by Turning It into a Mobile Hotspot

Mac OS X as a hotspot
Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Sharing your Internet connection

OP
O

one_crazy_dude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem is he is trying to remove the laptop and use only the iPad. I think the only way I have found is to spend the money and have a dish installed on his ship and have it ran to a router. I found this set up on line. It is pricy but can be done. I was hoping to help him out with a smaller receiver like an air card or wireless USB card card

Most reactions

Latest posts