What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad + Notebooks + Scrivener = Writer's Heaven

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The writing program I use on my MacBook is a little gem called Scrivener. I'm not here to push Scrivener, but if you are a writer, use a Mac, and want to be pampered and treated like a Pulitzer winner, then you need to check it out. The recent revamp to version 2.0.1 makes syncing to your iPad a joy.

I knew I would use my iPad to read (not a good eBook reader, my tookus!), but I was concerned about writing with it because syncing Notebooks out to other programs on other platforms was daunting to me.

Daunted, no more!! :D

I was playing the with the new Scrivener and worked out the sync with Notebooks on my iPad and also on my iPod Touch.

It's like science fiction. It's like having access to a global information access system from wherever I am and on three different platforms for my personal convenience.

One more reason to truly love my iPad because now it is truly integrated into my writing process.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of Scrivener. Looks good.

Cheers,

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What file type do you use for transferring, RTF?

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What file type do you use for transferring, RTF?

For the sync function between Notebooks and Scrivener, I set the sync file type to .txt in Scrivener. Notebooks still is not happy with editing .rtf files.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The newest version (2.0.1) can be had at their site: Scrivener

The Apple store is pushing the old version (1.52).

BTW.... Anyone else using Notebooks have a glitch pop up when the screen is in column mode where the document text disappears when the on screen keyboard is queued up? I've written Mr. Notebooks already, but was just wondering if anyone else was having this since iOS4.

Last edited:

dh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will push scrivener: If you are a writer of any kind and not using it you're missing out!

If you buy it through the app store can you automatically update to the newest version or are you stuck? Still just using it on my macbook.

OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will push scrivener: If you are a writer of any kind and not using it you're missing out!

If you buy it through the app store can you automatically update to the newest version or are you stuck? Still just using it on my macbook.

Yes, you can, but the upgrade will cost you 25 USD. Better to just d/l the newest version direct from the site. The upgrade was well worth the cost to me. I use Scrivener every single day. It is such a multipurpose tool and so easy to repurpose that I use it for work and for my own writing. Again, its sync-ability across Dropbox and into Notebooks for iPad and iPod Touch means my work, both professional and personal, is always with me.

EDIT ~ And for those who are frugal and intent on making the best use of their hard earned cheese, Scrivener is one of those programs that you can use free of charge (gratuito, gratuit, kostenloser, бесплатный) for 30 days to decide if this is the right fit for you. The 30 day trial is a fully functional version, not a teaser beta version.

Last edited:
OP
Wreybies

Wreybies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick update ~ 12/24/2010

I have added iThoughts for iPad to my writing formula and found that the whole has been made greater still.

My writing process is rather freeform. I'm not the kind of writer that starts at Chapter #1, and even when I think that I've done just that, Chapter #1 usually ends up removed, replaced, rewritten, or placed elsewhere within the story's flow. I purchased iThoughts for the iPad because I liked the way it mimicked my mind's way of looking at a story. Everyone's process is unique to them and using iThoughts as an outline tool of sorts to write a story or novel may not be for everyone, but for me it works a treat.

So, why do I include this mussing here? Because Scrivener's newest version allows you to take a mindmap made in iThoughts which has been saved in OPML format and drag&drop it into the binder area of a new Scrivener project and voila! Your mindmap is presented in binder for you to now start plugging away at your Great (Fill in your country of origin) Novel!

And, of course, iThoughts is Dropbox ready so it's all about the Cloud.

Unfortunately you cannot go in the other direction. There is no way to take a project already started in Scrivener and send it to iThoughts to tweak your outline, but I thought it deserved a serious mention as yet another way to swing the use to cost ratio of your iPad back in your direction should you be an aspiring writer. ;)

tmdoom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for suggestion - also help pls

i like ur suggestion re scrivener - i bought it and im trying to use it now on my ipad - im endeavoring to import seventy pages of a ms Word doc as a screenplay.... when i wrote the word doc, i bulleted it so each bullet was the a scene heading...

do u happen to know if scrivener can import my "bulleted" Word doc and automatically recognize / assign each bulleted section as new scene?

is there an easy way to take each bulleted section and have it magically appear on its own separate index card as a "scene"?

thank you for any help !

cheers, Thomas

dmv501

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad2 is due to arrive in the next day or two. I use Scrivener on my Macbook pro and have been recommended Simplenote as it syncs with Scrivener, even has a video on how on the scrip site.

Jackenhack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's actually several writing apps for iPad/iPhone that works with Scrievener sync. I use Elements and Writing Kit. My current favorite is Writing Kit, because of excellent Markdown support and a built in browser/search tool. It can even paste in the current page into the document, or the selected text. Very handy. I'm about to do a comparison on my blog soon about synking Scrievener with iOS devices.

....Edited by Moderator....No Links To Blogs......Read The Forum Rules

Edited by Leelai

---
Jack Zimmermann
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions