What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad not powering up?

doh46229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone else had a problem powering up their ipad? i was using it yesterday when i switched it off for approx 15 minutes when i tried to switch it on again it would not power up and the battery was 75% full anyone else suffered this fault the ipad is only two months old so it does not inspire confidence with me anymore.:)

I have had to take it back to the store for them to investigate what the problem is- any info appreciated thanks.

JaeC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried closing all Aps? Double click on start button and all Aps Will sporæ across the bottom. Hold on the first until a cross appears and then click on each one to close Them.

OP
D

doh46229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pad not powering up

yes all apps were closed the machine is totally dead - no problem with it previously just now will not respond to on/off button etc

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
has anyone else had a problem powering up their ipad? i was using it yesterday when i switched it off for approx 15 minutes when i tried to switch it on again it would not power up and the battery was 75% full anyone else suffered this fault the ipad is only two months old so it does not inspire confidence with me anymore.:)

I have had to take it back to the store for them to investigate what the problem is- any info appreciated thanks.

Here's the advice from the Apple website.

"Reset iPad. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears."

You can read the full article here

iPad: Basic troubleshooting

Tim
Scotland

OP
D

doh46229

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad not powering up

Tim, many thanks for your advice when i get my machine back i will bear this in mind if the same ever happens again thanks for your help.
DOH46229.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happens to me every so often as well (happened last night even). I'm not sure what causes it, but it doesn't appear to point towards a defective unit. Must just be a quirk with iOS.

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It happened to me once after someone pushed and held down the on/off button. I plugged in to my Macbook and it woke right up. Don't hold down the off button just push and release.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One problem that I've had is that I normally set 'Autolock' to 'Never' (yes, I know, bad idea!).

So I put my iPad to sleep and go to bed - of course, iPad by my bed as well as my Bluetooth keyboard - hey, might have a sleepless night or get some great ideas (OK - not very often) and need to note them down.

However, I've found that, if I accidentally touch the Bluetooth keyboard keys, it (of course) 'wakes up' the Bluetooth keyboard and that wakes up the iPad and *takes it straight to the Home screen* - no slider control to confirm that I want to switch the iPad on. So now my iPad is on and the Autolock is set to 'Never' and the inevitable happens....battery gradually goes flat....and, with the Apple case on and the flap closed it acts as an incredibly good screen shield, to the extent that it's difficult to detect if the screen is on even in a darkened bedroom.

Moral of the story is make sure you don't have Autolock set to never at night with a Bluetooth keyboard by your bedside.....

Tim
Scotland
PS bought a spare power adaptor to keep my iPad connected to the power outlet all night......

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a different problem with my iPad 2. It's doing a lot of freezing. Email attachments are not downloading, had to do six resets in one night. I'm so sure I will be returning this to the store for an exchange.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a different problem with my iPad 2. It's doing a lot of freezing. Email attachments are not downloading, had to do six resets in one night. I'm so sure I will be returning this to the store for an exchange.

I am very sorry to hear that. You say that email attachments are not downloading - could you give us more details? I'm an 'early morning owl' so I can work on this tonight...I love a challenge...as much detail as possible..my wife is away on business and, hey, what else do I have to do....

Don't panic - with the iPad Forum here to help - no problem can't be fixed!

Tim
Scotland - sunny again...what gives?

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I am very sorry to hear that. You say that email attachments are not downloading - could you give us more details? I'm an 'early morning owl' so I can work on this tonight...I love a challenge...as much detail as possible..my wife is away on business and, hey, what else do I have to do....

Tim

My emails that include attachments can't be opened from iPad2. Also there are no folders to put email in ie drafts inbox sent saved ect ect. The only folder that I have for all four emails accounts are inbox and trash. Also while watching a movie I noticed that the picture was pretty bad and blurry. So my intention was to find out if I had purchased that on in HD or SD. Well the iPad just froze! Also while receiving email it froze. And then again while playing scrabble. However today I have had no problems with freezing but the problem with the emails persist. I had wireless at home so the freezing was not due to network congestion. After resetting the iPad I was able to determine that I had purchased that movie in HD. Can you advise on this issue

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

My emails that include attachments can't be opened from iPad2. Also there are no folders to put email in ie drafts inbox sent saved ect ect. The only folder that I have for all four emails accounts are inbox and trash. Also while watching a movie I noticed that the picture was pretty bad and blurry. So my intention was to find out if I had purchased that on in HD or SD. Well the iPad just froze! Also while receiving email it froze. And then again while playing scrabble. However today I have had no problems with freezing but the problem with the emails persist. I had wireless at home so the freezing was not due to network congestion. After resetting the iPad I was able to determine that I had purchased that movie in HD. Can you advise on this issue

OK - in the iPad's native 'Mail' app there is no facility for creating mailboxes - like you can in, say, Windows Mail or Outlook Express. If you want additional folders in your Mail program on the iPad you have to do this by a 'roundabout' route.

First of all, you need to check your email settings in the iPad's native 'Settings' app and see whether your incoming mail server is configured as a 'POP' or 'IMAP' server. The iPad's Mail app will mirror the folder settings in your email account on your service provider's server if you have IMAP set.

So - if you currently have POP, check to see whether your service provider also supports IMAP and, if so, switch to that. I can send details if you need them (but tell me who your service provider is - nothing more, I don't need any other details). Most service providers support both POP and IMAP but, to get folders to show on your iPad you need to set IMAP.

If your email settings are already set for IMAP then you're good to go. Log into your email service providers webmail service - say using Safari on your iPad - and set up the folder structure that you'd like to see on your iPad. When that's done, open up the iPad's Mail app and, shortly, that Folder structure should appear there.

I notice, too, that you mention a fairly frequent freezing of the iPad. If you've done a complete power-down - i.e. not just put the iPad to sleep - then I'm not sure what more can be done. But, don't worry, keep in touch and send as much detail as possible. Let's sort one problem at a time.

See if you can get the folder problem sorted and we'll move onto the others if they persist.

Good Luck with setting up folders...

Tim
Scotland

dakin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks tim. mine still will not power on. i'm home recovering from breast cancer surgery and I am soo bored and need my ipad:((

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks tim. mine still will not power on. i'm home recovering from breast cancer surgery and I am soo bored and need my ipad:((

OK - sorry to hear about this. Let's give this another go.

Make sure your iPad has been connected to the charger for a few hours - we don't want to try to restart an iPad that has a flat battery!!

Now, down to work.

Press *and hold* the Power and Home buttons simultaneously for about 60 seconds - yes, you read me right - nearly 60 seconds - until the white Apple logo appears. That 60 seconds can seem like a very long time indeed, so make sure you're timing it and don't give up too early.

Once the white Apple logo has appeared the iPad will perform a complete reboot - that, too, takes a very long time, so have patience. No apps or user data will be lost, so don't panic.

Hopefully, this reboot procedure works but - if not - get back to us.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts