What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Multitouch Gestures

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember those experimental multitouch gestures that were first implemented in the iOS 4.3 beta for iPad? Well, I updated my iPad to the official 4.3.1 and the multitouch gestures are working. There are no settings in the settings app like in the beta, but the multitouch is working by default.

Try it out! Apologize if this is old news, but I was surprised by this.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also happy to see the feature still working after the most recent iOS update. Since it's a Developer item and not yet incorporated into a "public" iOS version it should stand on it's own through any update.

I've really become spoiled by all three gestures and rarely use the home button anymore. I could see a button-free iPad one of these days. I just wish it was available for my iPhone as well!

Here are the gestures currently available:

• Swipe four or five fingers—to the left or to the right—to navigate through open applications.

• Swipe four fingers up to access the running apps tray and playback buttons, including Airplay controls.

• Pinch with all your fingers to go to the home screen from any app, without touching your home button

For anyone wanting to try it themselves...here are the details:

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

1he844.jpg

I had no use for Xcode after the installation and noting that it takes up 10+GB of space I uninstalled it by typing this command in terminal:

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all (type "exit" and hit Return after the process is done)

BTW, after installing the multitasking gestures program I found the slide lock to be totally unresponsive. :eek: After a quick hard reboot and sync with iTunes all was good again. Phew! :)

EDIT: I haven't tried it, but here are instructions for PC users:

How To: Enable Multitouch Gestures in iOS 4.3.1 For Free | pinglio

Here's a video showing how to do it as well:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uktPleZ8O8Q]YouTube - Enable iPad Multi-touch Gestures on Windows, no jailbreak request. (for iOS 4.3/4.31)[/ame]

Looks a bit more complicated, but if you're the adventurous type!

Last edited:

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rich Adams

I found our friend Rich from Tivo S3 land here in iPad land. Keep up the good work, Rich, both here and the Tivo forum.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have a Mac to but this app to enable this you can google I copy bot and Multi gesture and their is a way to do it there on the website. They made it very easy for someone that has little to no experience to do it. I love the feature and don't know how I lived without it for so long.

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also install Virtualbox (free) and install a copy of OS X (not free, unless you're savvy in the ways of obtaining things...). Just google "snow leopard virtualbox". I used iBoot to load the image and Multibeast for compatibility (to run the vm without the need for iBoot). I think you need the minimum of 10.6.7 to run Xcode 4, which you will also need. That's not free either, $4.99 in app store but, as I said earlier.
Anyway, that's another way to do it if you don't have a mac.

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I have become spoiled by the multi touch gestures too. And by the way, you do NOT need Xcode 4. I used the latest version of Xcode 3, which is available for free.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The way I mentioned is 100% free. You can download the needed software from cnet downloads.

Reaction score
appleeater said:
Does this work in the iPad 2 as well ?

Yes, it works just the same on iPad 2.

Regarding some posts above, where the multitouch gestures were activated after an update: the gestures are not activated by default, but if they were activated once by the user, do they stay, even when updating/restoring.

renatog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have become spoiled by the multi touch gestures too. And by the way, you do NOT need Xcode 4. I used the latest version of Xcode 3, which is available for free.
That may be the case if you're running iOS 4.3, but if you're running 4.3.1 you will need Xcode 4. I've tried every which way with 3.2.6 and I got nowhere.

Multitouch gestures isn't perfect but it sure beats using the home button to close or access the multitask bar. There are some apps that kind of conflict with the new gestures. One is Zombie Smash HD, but I don't recall if you can flick four zombies at a time. If so then that is affected. Also Mobile Mouse acted a little weird but it still worked.

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iOS 4.3.1 but could activate this with Xcode 3.2.6 even without logging in with my Apple ID.

The onley question: how does "pinch with 4 or 5 fingers to the home screen" work ?
I tried pinching with two hands , but did not work.
The other four finger gestures work flawlessly ! Great !

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You take your whole hand with all your fingers spread and pinch to the middle. Try it slow to see if you get the animation of the screen. If you don't there may be something wrong.

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you upgrade to 4.3.2 you will have to reinstall your multi gestures all over again. Just a heads up

Most reactions

Latest posts