What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini Review

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm typing this on my 16gb black mini that I picked up yesterday morning. I love the iPad app for this forum it is excellent and very clean and concise.

- impressions after 2 days use -

Let's get fresh out of the package impressions out of the way, next to my iPhone 5 this is one of the most beautifully constructed pieces of hardware apple has ever created. They blow me away more and more with each product they release. The iPad mini is incredibly light and thin, and its slate black backside meets the screen with a diamond cut similar to the iPhone 5. The device can be held in portrait or landscape with one hand, leaving you're other hand free to type or swipe around the perfectly sized screen. You really need to feel one in your hands to truly understand how brilliant it feels and how amazingly elegant it is to use. I have found myself immediately picking up my mini for tasks that would have previously gone to my iPhone 5. The battery life easily matches apples claims and the 250k apps for iPad run on the mini without a hitch. The screen is quite obviously NOT retina display, and it is definitely apparent after using a retina display iPhone for years. Aside from text. the movies, games, and photos do look great. The non-retina display is not a deal breaker to me though as this is mainly with smaller text and the portability, ease of use, and beautifully rigid construction outweigh the resolution to make this now my go to device at home and other wi-if spots. Besides that my amazing iPhone 5 will foot the bill elsewhere.

- Overall rating so far -

8.5/10 - Apples iPad mini is meticulously designed and plays just like the apple devices you know and love. The light weight, sturdy build quality, and perfectly sized screen come together to create an awesome iPad period. It fits my needs well and would be perfect with retina and an A6 processor. Until then this little guy packs a big wallop.

image-2876490666.jpg

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review of your iPad mini! I managed to play with one at my local Best Buy Store. It is a really nice device and see myself getting one in the future. :)

All he white / 16gb minis were sold out. There were a few of the black 64 gb versions, but I wasn't interested in that much storage.

By the way -I just deleted your other post which wasa duplicate of this message. Please do not do this as it is against forum rules. We want to keep topics to one thread to make it easier for members to follow the discussion and assist as needed. This cannot be done when there are multiple threads present.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree with your review, throwback.

Now, if this baby hand and a6 and a retina screen, it would have way less battery life and it would probably get really warm (almost hot) during game play. The thermals would likely not work in this really small package. This based on how things played out for the 3nd gen iPad, and it was a lot bigger. And apple is constrained on the type of retina display they could add. The don't want to change or add a new resolution as that would mean more work for developers. So that means going with a screen with 2048 by 1536 pixels and doing what they have done with the 3nd and 4th gen iPads. However, they would have to cram all those pixels into a smaller display. I'm not sure they can do that at a reasonable cost yet, even though other companies are getting close.

At least that is my theory. It may just be that they don't believe in the mini like they do the iPad. Perhaps that is their flagship product. But I'm thing if the mini had a retina display, it might outsell the bigger iPad. Typing on this one is far easier and faster for me.

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I agree 100% with your reviews ! I'm not a gamer so speed is not an issue and not being retina is no problem . I brought my ( 32 black )mini to my daughters place yesterday to compare the screen with her iPad 3 and could barely see any difference . True , I'm no spring chicken and my eyes are not what they used to be....
As I travel quite a bit , it's going to be great . From now on my iPad 1 will stay at home and if not used for mail and browsing will become a perfect digital frame ;-)))

Just adding that as much as I always used iPad 1 in landscape , I seem to use the mini more in portrait .

Threelions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice review. Im coming from an Ipad 1 so the lack of retina and new processor hasn't bothered me, it's actually a big upgrade to me, so fast.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't noticed an issue between the retina and display of the iPad mini. I use my mini as a reading device which also will fill in the random web surf, email, and youtube tasks as needed. But 90% is reading.

This is coming from reading on my iPhone 4 for the last 6 months. So the screen size is a delight.

Other than that, top notch review!

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my hands on a mini at my local Apple Mall store. I did not find the screen breath taking, as was expected it was good but I expected better. I did some looking at my you tube video's for some reason I had trouble making them to start, tried two mini's same problem. I would have to reload video and try again to get them going. Build quality is very good. Am sure many will get the service they want, but I still think a micro memory slot is a must have. As yet am not counting it out, but at the high price I am still doing a lot of looking and thinking.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I got my hands on a mini at my local Apple Mall store. I did not find the screen breath taking, as was expected it was good but I expected better. I did some looking at my you tube video's for some reason I had trouble making them to start, tried two mini's same problem. I would have to reload video and try again to get them going. Build quality is very good. Am sure many will get the service they want, but I still think a micro memory slot is a must have. As yet am not counting it out, but at the high price I am still doing a lot of looking and thinking.

No Apple mobile device has ever had a slot for memory card so don't expect on on a future device. I think it's more likely that you'll see expanded built in memory.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I've been playing a lot of YouTube lately; there is no problem there. You are not going to see a slot, so if that is a must have, I suggest you move on to consider something else. I suggest one of the Samsung 7 inchers.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been playing a lot of YouTube lately; there is no problem there. You are not going to see a slot, so if that is a must have, I suggest you move on to consider something else. I suggest one of the Samsung 7 inchers.

I have a iPad2 64gb it's been very good, bought a Mac book Pro. To support my iPad. I bought a Galaxy Tab2 put a 16gb micro in it,liked how simple it is to transfer files using usb. But I saw the new Galaxy 10.1 note and found it some what more fitted to my needs, and installed a 32gb micro in it. But I still like the Apple iPads and won't be walking away from them. Am sure I soon will break down and get one. My problem with the video could have been the stores internet connection. I have found my local Best Buys internet connection is really slow, compared to my home connection. It's not a real test to just play with something in a store.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a iPad2 64gb it's been very good, bought a Mac book Pro. To support my iPad. I bought a Galaxy Tab2 put a 16gb micro in it,liked how simple it is to transfer files using usb. But I saw the new Galaxy 10.1 note and found it some what more fitted to my needs, and installed a 32gb micro in it. But I still like the Apple iPads and won't be walking away from them. Am sure I soon will break down and get one. My problem with the video could have been the stores internet connection. I have found my local Best Buys internet connection is really slow, compared to my home connection. It's not a real test to just play with something in a store.

I agree on the test. I had an interest in the Note 10.1. Using it will a pen is pretty cool and useful. Some of the reviews scared me on build quality, though.

AirPlayit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice review! 100% agree with your points, love the great portability of iPad mini, which delivers perfect experience of reading, watching videos...

Most reactions

Latest posts