What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Price Listing Appears in Germany

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_mold.JPG

More exciting news posted by AppleInsider about the forthcoming release of the iPad Mini, with word that a list of different iPad mini models was obtained from Media Markt and posted by Mobile Geeks. The list has the basic, Wi-Fi-only, 8-GB iPad mini priced at €219, which is around $320. As AppleInsider notes, the leaked list appears to indicate that Apple plans to have many different versions of the iPad mini, at varying price points, as the list includes 16, 32, and 64 GB models, in Wi-Fi-only and Wi-Fi plus 3G versions. Looking at the list, it would seem that the top-of-the-range, 64 GB Wi-Fi plus 3G version will cost €649. This list certainly looks very official, but we won’t have much longer to wait to find out if it’s the real deal or not, as Apple is rumoured to be launching the iPad mini on October 23, for a release date sometime in November.

Source: Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info..........

I personally find anything smaller than a 10" screen to be way to small to do anything productive.......
I've tried using them in the past and find it tedius to do some of the easiest tasks.

No thanks.......I'll keep my iPad 3 for most things and my desktop for real serious work.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is the first time I heard about a mini version of the iPad. Is this for real?

We think it is for real. These are rumors at this point but we recently learned that Apple is not any good at keeping secrets anymore.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone will have their opinions of whether or not they want one or not and that is fine. Personally, I feel that this would be very much used in my household.

uniquename

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$320in Germany might be a reasonable price here. Too much competition in small tablets with the new nexus rumored at $99 to be close to the ipad2 in price.

But, $299 for the touch confuses me. The mini simply has to cost more than a touch.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, $299 for the touch confuses me. The mini simply has to cost more than a touch.

I can see how some people might think that, especially at first. But the latest touch has retina screen and camera, and at least 32GB, for example. There are differences that will lead some buyers to maybe prefer one over the other. Some people are still going to prefer touch-size devices for certain uses.

It's like going to a burger joint and seeing 10 kinds of burgers -- something to tempt everyone; that's the goal. And maybe some users will get more than one device, for different uses.

wosiccp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This I think is not real, price can be showed earlier than product?

uzumlubay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IF these prices are correct this will be a serious rip off from Apple. There is no way they can justify a price difference of €/$100 between the 8Gb and the 16Gb version - the additional cost to them is probably $5.

The price difference between Google´s Nexus 7 8Gb and 16Gb version is $40.

I have Apple products and was looking to buy a mini IPad as I have a lot of music and video from Itunes so to move to any other tablet will cost me financially but if this info is correct I will be jumping to the opposition. The majority of Android and all the Windows RT devces take SD cards and I can increase memory by 32Gb for about $20.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you believe this rumor, the price between the top end model mini and 2012 iPad is 200 euros...seems like a lot for a device with no retina screen (of course, they can claim something is retina based on ppi, so a smaller screen with 1024 x 768 can be claimed retina if they want to do so). It will depend on if the dimensions shrink by half, then the effective ppi doubles. I doubt this is the case.

And there is 100 euro difference per memory increment 8, 16, 32, 64. And then 100 euro difference from wifi to cellular. Note that the jump from 8 to 16 GB is 8 (for $100), while that from 16 to 32 is 16 (for another $100), while that from 32 to 64 is 32GB (for another $100). Going from 8 to 64GB is costing $300. I recently bought a 512GB SSD for $350 on sale. The price for it right now is $400. The 64GB version is $72.

If this proves true, I will have to consider if I really want to folk over for a Mini. Of course, the price difference may differ in the US or it may just be wrong. I paid $250 for my 16GB Google Nexus 7. Would I want to pay $400 for a 16GB Wifi iPad Mini? I think I would pay no more than $350 for that.

I too would like to know how they justify the pricing. I think it has little to do with what it cost to make and more to do with how they wish to price the various models. They expect to make more profit on the higher-featured models than on the lesser-featured models. But they want $100 per feature where others want $50.

Remember: It all comes down to what folks are willing to pay. Cost to make has little to do with pricing.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the rumors are true, this meets my bar for storage and cellular capabilities, but it's essentially old technology, and not at deep discount. Unless there are surprising developments, I think the mini is not in the running for me, considering the competition and what else I could buy. For me, it would make more sense to buy an iPad 3 even if I wanted to stick with an iDevice.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
If the rumors are true, this meets my bar for storage and cellular capabilities, but it's essentially old technology, and not at deep discount. Unless there are surprising developments, I think the mini is not in the running for me, considering the competition and what else I could buy. For me, it would make more sense to buy an iPad 3 even if I wanted to stick with an iDevice.

Yeah, not sure about this iPad mini thing. I prefer the size of the regular iPad and devices getting smaller and smaller isn't a good thing, IMO? I know that's the hot ticket now so Apple has to do what they have to do. They needed a kindle fire competitor and now they have one. Size does matter with tablets and the ten inch screen is as small as I'd ever want to go. Like you said, I'd just buy an iPad 3 if I wanted another iPad type of device.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So now I've got the latest iPad, the latest iPhone and the latest iPad Mini all in this year.

So in the doctor's or dentist's waiting room I'll drag out .. what? Didn't bring my iPad. Just feels a bit, well, big in front of everybody else quietly playing with their smart phones. ( but it was quite show-offy in that wi-fi coffee shop!)

But wait, I need to carry my iPhone, my wife said she'll phone or text me about that important matter and I can still play Texas Hold'em poker on the iPhone while waiting for that over-book-bump-everybody doctor.

But my iPad is going to be great tonight after dinner on the couch dropping in on the forum. That big Retina screen will be beaut, can't see using anything smaller at all!.

So maybe I'll try to fob my iPad Mini off to my wife? She likes reading books. How much did it cost? Oh Pwah! her friend has got something called a Kindle for reading. Bit pricey? And she likes the tactile feel of "Fifty shades of grey" in a paperback so no thanks to something a bit bigger than the iPhone.

I like Apple stuff. Shall I keep the Mini?

Depending on the pricing, features, persuasive marketing, yes these Mini rumors are certainly food for thought.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts