What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini Plans and Cases Leak

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_case.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that several solid signs that an iPad mini is on the way have made it onto the web. First off, we have some iPad mini molds that turned up on a site called GottaBeMobile, and which seemed to show that the iPad mini will be thinner than the current iPad. This was followed up today with schematics and cases that were posted on ThinkiOS, with the cases being made by case company FullHull.com. The report says that according to these new leaks, the iPad mini will have a 7-inch screen, 5.3-inches in width, and 7.87 inches long. As 9to5 Mac says, we have no way of knowing if these various leaks are genuine, but the pattern of leaks certainly has a familiar ring to it, being exactly the sort of thing that started to appear on the web before the launch of previous versions of iPads and iPhones.

Source: Chicken or the Egg? ‘iPad Mini’ schematics conveniently appear on web after purported molds leak | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Laurie_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use to own a kindle fire, so I am familiar with a 7 inch tablet.
I'm just not sure I liked it enough to invest in another Iproduct that is going fit in size between my Ipad and Itouch.
If I didn't all ready own an Ipad I would really have to think about if I would want the 7 inch or the full size.
That 7 inch slips in to a purse nice and easy. Plus it will be lighter then the full size Ipad.
On the down side, sometimes the 7 inch screen was just a little to small for me. I really love the larger size screen.
I think I maybe glad that there was no mini when I bought my Ipad....lol Not sure I could choose between them.

augy202

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also feel like 7 inches would be kind of an awkward size. Mostly because it's not small enough that you would carry it around as you would a phone, and also it isn't quite large enough to replace tasks you would normally be doing on a desktop. 10 inches easily allows for surfing the web and checking email in the same way you would on a desktop computer, but that wouldn't really be accomplished with a 7 inch tablet. I feel like it would serve the same purpose a 4.5 in smartphone would, and most people already have those.

BostonDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been seeing ipad mini reports or 7.85 inches at 4:3 aspect ratio. Android 7 inch android tablets at 16:9 aspect ratio. Android tablets will have around 21 sq inches of desktop compared to apple iPad minis coming in at closer to 30 sq inches. Smaller than the current iPad, but still large enough for email, calendar, and basic on the go browsing and games. I hope they do it. I would buy it in addition to my current iPad 2.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got the Nexus 7 from Google/Asus. This thing rocks. It is not just the 7-inch size, but its light weight. It is sweet. There is NO WAY that Apple will not response to this. There will be some kind of 7-8-inch Apple device, and I will no doubt buy one.

Now, while I do like the Nexus 7, the iPad 3 will still be the device that goes to work with me. I don't fine the smaller screen sufficient for working with displaying slides and things on an over head projector, but there are a LOT of things one can do with a 7-inch screen.

TBH, I am a big fan of tablets.

One thing I like about this Nexus 7 is the back of it...it is not metal. It has a very good hand feel. It just feels wonderful in the hand. It does come across as a scratch magnet, either. You have to experience this to see. And Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) rocks, compared to any version of Android I have used. I may have to give away my Kindle. My Acer Iconia A500 is going to my brother.

Yes, Apple should simply make a larger version of the iPod Touch. Just keep it light weight, though, as that is most important. I'm sure Apple will see to it that all apps load, be they phone or Ipad apps. One problem Google has is that a goodly number of apps (many of the ones I own) won't load on the Nexus. Apparently, the screen resolution is wrong and thus they don't show as compatible. I'm sure Apple won't allow that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BTW....I feel no need to case my Nexus 7. I hope apple uses materials that don't scratch so cases aren't needed. They add weight and weight is the enemy for a tablet.

Most reactions

Latest posts