What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad mini or ipad with retina display/ipad4?

Ipad Mini or Ipad with retina display/ipad4??

• Ipad 4

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Ipad Mini

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

HannahSnow123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know what to choose!! I want to see what you think>

Last edited:

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion, it depends on how the device will be used. I have both; my iPad mini is used for books and follows me from room to room. My iPad 4 is used as a "desktop" machine so it stays in one place paired with the Apple wireless keyboard. The iPad 4 has a beautiful retina display and works perfectly for web surfing and videos. The down side is that it's a bit heavy. The iPad mini is perfect for being mobile and the size allows it to fit easily into a large pocket.

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'll go with an iPad 4. I'm willing to trade weight for speed and the retina.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You should have added the option for both. It completely depends on what you are planning to do with them. I keep the Mini in my vehicle for navigation and music streaming. I carry the 4 with me for work and watching Netflix.

joenissan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own both the 4th gen iPad and iPad mini. I love my mini and my large iPad usually just sits. If I were in your position, I'd go for the mini. The screen looks beautiful even without the retina display and its soooo light and thin you can't help but love it. I just don't see the need for the large iPad now. This thing does it all and is just the right size. Trust me, you really won't miss the retina display.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I own both the 4th gen iPad and iPad mini. I love my mini and my large iPad usually just sits. If I were in your position, I'd go for the mini. The screen looks beautiful even without the retina display and its soooo light and thin you can't help but love it. I just don't see the need for the large iPad now. This thing does it all and is just the right size. Trust me, you really won't miss the retina display.
As far as the screen resolution, you are correct. There's really no difference when looking at them that I can see.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend is traveling for months and is letting me use her wifi mini while she's gone. (She took her iPad 4 because it has a cellular connection.)

So far the only thing I prefer is the weight. I like a bigger screen for browsing, and find the mini screen grainy. (I can live with it, but no point given my iPad 4's retina.)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2 but also a mini. I love both and use them for different things. My ipad2 is my main iPad because of the larger screen. My iPad mini is great for when I'm out and about and want to still stay on top of things. I plan on getting the iPad 5 also and know I will still use them the same way, it's very much a personal choice and what you need an iPad for. If I was younger and had great eyesight I would just go with the mini.

joenissan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a very noticable difference between the retina and minis screens, but the minis screen is still quite sharp and clear. I don't find it a drawback whatsoever. The size weight and build quality of the mini far outweight it's lack of a retine screen IMO. But if it really bothers you, stick to the large bulkier model. Personally I don't think most would miss the retina screen after using the mini for a while. All personal preference I guess.

joenissan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mini has the same screen quality as the iPad 2 but in a smaller screen. That means the mini should be slightly clearer than the iPad 2. The real difference is between the retina iPads and the mini.

Most reactions