What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad mini locking issue

CandaceGosson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, first post on the forum. I've had my mini for 2 weeks now. I'm having an issue with the lock screen. When I close my leather case cover (which has a magnet in it), it will lock the screen like it's supposed to do but when I open the case cover, it unlocks automatically. Up until yesterday, when I would open the case cover, the first screen I would see was my lock screen with the slide bar saying "slide to unlock". My 4 year old son got his hands on it for 2 mins and now I can't seem to get it back to the way it was. I think I've tried all of the options in the settings menu a dozen times and I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support. Their solution: send it back. We'll give you a new one. They figure it's a software issue. I really don't want to go without my mini for "10-15 business days". Hoping someone out there knows something that the tech guys don't. Thanks!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Candace..... - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can really help, but (if not already done), please go to step 3 in the quote below - RESET the iPad and let us know if this helps - good luck!

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What exactly is happening? If you can describe what you feel is different we might be able to help.

dithnya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Helloo ,,,, any news about jailbreak ios 6.1.3 Ipad Mini ... ??

Sent from my iPad using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please do not hijack threads. In this case there is not much point in starting a new thread, because the answer is simple: there will never be a jailbreak for 6.1.3.

We try to tackle one issue per thread. I a search does not turn up the information you require, please feel free to start one.

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you checked that your son didn't change your "Ipad Cover Lock/Unlock" switch in the "General Settings" section?

OP
C

CandaceGosson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try to describe the issue again. I have my mini in a leather case that has a magnet in the cover. When the cover is closed, the magnet will lock the mini with a click sound. Before when I would open it, the screen that I would see was my lock screen. I would then have to slide the unlock switch at the bottom of the screen in order to get to my home screen to view my apps. That was BEFORE my son got ahold of it. Now when I open the cover it goes straight to my home screen with my apps (or whatever page I was looking at before I closed the cover). I no longer see my lock screen when I open the cover. The cover is unlocking the screen as I open it instead of allowing me to slide to unlock. How do I get my lock screen to appear when I open the cover INSTEAD of my home screen? And yes, The first thing I checked was the locking options in the settings menu. Nothing seems to work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really think that it is a software issue, as the tech guys seem to think. When you have the switch, in your Settings app, set to ON, then your Mini should start up when you open the cover. If it is set to off, then you should get the lock screen. As this is not happening, I'm afraid you're going to have to send it back as it is not functioning properly (and there is not other area to set).

So, if you played with the switch (and reset/restarted in between, or at all) and it's still not working - I'm afraid there is nothing more that can be done here. Sorry.

Marilyn

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll try to describe the issue again. I have my mini in a leather case that has a magnet in the cover. When the cover is closed, the magnet will lock the mini with a click sound. Before when I would open it, the screen that I would see was my lock screen. I would then have to slide the unlock switch at the bottom of the screen in order to get to my home screen to view my apps. That was BEFORE my son got ahold of it. Now when I open the cover it goes straight to my home screen with my apps (or whatever page I was looking at before I closed the cover). I no longer see my lock screen when I open the cover. The cover is unlocking the screen as I open it instead of allowing me to slide to unlock. How do I get my lock screen to appear when I open the cover INSTEAD of my home screen? And yes, The first thing I checked was the locking options in the settings menu. Nothing seems to work.

I have an lock/unlock case on my iPad Mini as well. When I close the case I hear the "click" as you mentioned, and when I open the case it goes straight to the home screen, or to whatever screen or app I was using before I closed the case. It has done that since I've had the case...mine has never gone to the lock screen when I opened it. Personally, I would rather that it wake up to the home screen instead of the lock screen because then I wouldn't have to take the extra step to slide to unlock...but that's just me... :)

Sent from my Black iPad Mini 16GB using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you seem to have run out of options, I'd suggest trying a full factory restore after you've backed up everything. You'd have to back up anyway if you were to send your iPad back to Apple, so you might as well see whether a full factory restore might help you avoid that. It's a long shot, but not much effort to try.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an lock/unlock case on my iPad Mini as well. When I close the case I hear the "click" as you mentioned, and when I open the case it goes straight to the home screen, or to whatever screen or app I was using before I closed the case. It has done that since I've had the case...mine has never gone to the lock screen when I opened it. Personally, I would rather that it wake up to the home screen instead of the lock screen because then I wouldn't have to take the extra step to slide to unlock...but that's just me... :)

That's a preference, of course.

Without the slider (or a pass code lock), anyone could pick up your iPad and start using it. The OP has a child and probably wants to limit access.

teralpar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's a preference, of course.

Without the slider (or a pass code lock), anyone could pick up your iPad and start using it. The OP has a child and probably wants to limit access.

Oh I see now...that makes perfect sense.

Ernie_C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried completely powering down the iPad by holding down the Home button at the same time as the on/off switch, and then powering on again?

...or stopping all the active applications, by double pressing Home, holding down one of the icons at the bottom of the screen until they wiggle, then stopping all of the active applications by clicking their X?

Last edited:
OP
C

CandaceGosson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I did try a factory reset when I had the tech guy on the phone - didn't work. And yes, I'm trying to recover my lock screen to limit the access (a little) for my son. I can still use the passcode if I want but I'm in and out of my mini so often that it becomes tiring. This is starting to become more hassle than it's worth. I figured that since I'm new to the mini, that I was just over looking something simple. Guess it really must be a software issue. :( if there's anyone out there who's had this issue before, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts