What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad Mini as e reader?

johncolt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the ipad mini perform well as a Kindle Paperwhite as an e reader, or is it preferable to have a Kindle for reading in sunlight? I ask because my Samsung Galaxy tablet is useless for reading anything in bright light.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does the ipad mini perform well as a Kindle Paperwhite as an e reader, or is it preferable to have a Kindle for reading in sunlight? I ask because my Samsung Galaxy tablet is useless for reading anything in bright light.

I have both, an iPad mini and a Kindle Paperwhite, and I feel the iPad mini is better for reading in sunlight due to the screen on the device. The Kindle Paperwhite works well in sunlight but it gives the pages a grey-ish appearance with the backlight turned off. Another advantage to the iPad mini is that you can load other e-reader apps on it, such as iBooks.. which you can't do on the Kindle.

Samsung devices use an AMOLED screen, which are horrible in direct sunlight.

Update: The only drawback to using an iPad for Kindle books is the battery life. The Paperwhite battery life (several weeks) just isn't possible on most other devices.

Last edited:

Holly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most people wouldn't necessarily see this as an advantage but I have a "library" of over 8000 books on my mini. Kindle paperwhite is limited to 1000. I admit to being a book hoarder!

OP
J

johncolt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both, an iPad mini and a Kindle Paperwhite, and I feel the iPad mini is better for reading in sunlight due to the screen on the device. The Kindle Paperwhite works well in sunlight but it gives the pages a grey-ish appearance with the backlight turned off. Another advantage to the iPad mini is that you can load other e-reader apps on it, such as iBooks.. which you can't do on the Kindle.

Samsung devices use an AMOLED screen, which are horrible in direct sunlight.

Update: The only drawback to using an iPad for Kindle books is the battery life. The Paperwhite battery life (several weeks) just isn't possible on most other devices.

That's useful information, thank you. I only bought a Kindle last week, but then saw a friend's ipad Mini last night. If I had seen it first I wouldn't have bought the Kindle, although your comment about battery life makes me think I might finish up with the two - three including the Galazy!

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's useful information, thank you. I only bought a Kindle last week, but then saw a friend's ipad Mini last night. If I had seen it first I wouldn't have bought the Kindle, although your comment about battery life makes me think I might finish up with the two - three including the Galazy!

Yeah, I bought my Kindle before I had the chance to play with an iPad mini.. but, the battery life on the Kindle devices makes me think the purchase was worth it.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I couldn't justify buying an iPad Mini AND an iPad Air, so I've just learned to be comfortable bringing my iPad Air around as my e-Reader and bringing it along with me for long commutes, doing laundry, DMV penance, etc. Besides, it's light enough as it is :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I couldn't justify buying an iPad Mini AND an iPad Air, so I've just learned to be comfortable bringing my iPad Air around as my e-Reader and bringing it along with me for long commutes, doing laundry, DMV penance, etc. Besides, it's light enough as it is :)

I bought the iPad 4 last year. I recently held an iPad Air in my hands at a Best Buy store and was amazed. Still hard to believe they were able to get everything into that light and small chassis.

liam90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
glad I stumbled over this thread! Was considering getting a Kindle, but now I think I'll be better of with an iPad mini!

liam90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I said in a previous post, I was thinking to get the Kindle paper, as an addition to my iPad, but was convinced otherwise as the screen of the iPad mini seems to do the trick just as well and has more functionality to it. I actually found an interesting statistic on this topic, (several, to be honest) - seems that about half of tablet owners (51.2%) use it for reading e-books. You can look it up here: ? Mobile tablet content usage in the United States 2012 | Statistic and browse around, if you're interested in the topic. Doesn't look too good for the e-reader market.

Most reactions

Latest posts