What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Memory and iPad Disk

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I did some checking using the i app. It shows around 214 MB of memory and 53+ MB of "Disk" in my 64 GB iPad. That is right after startup after doing a total shutdown. After a few hours with the same level of inactivity, it shows 163 MB of Memory and the same 53+ GB of Disk. Reboot and the 214 shows again. So we have some form of Memory leakage and it probably helps to reboot at least once per day.

This may be caused by poorly designed apps although I thought Apple had that under control. Evidently not.

Any comments/experience?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have any Push/Location services/Fetch/etc running? Perhaps this "i App" has a memory leak.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What does "same level of inactivity" mean?

Those numbers seem right to me. What do you expect to see exactly? Something is always using some memory, even just the OS.

OP
mslammers

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
By same level of activity, I meant I had the same services [wi fi] and minimal notify/push stuff going before and after rebooting. The big variable seems to be in the Inactive memory category. That would imply a leak [something not returning memory set aside when running]. It is not a big deal, I just noticed it. I also noticed I still had roughly 114 MB available. It just looked like an anomaly of some sort.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the "i" app you mentioned in the Original Post? I'd like to have a look for myself.

Temp40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.tabletbuzzblog.com
this is another reason why cloud computing is gaining more and more popularity these days, local HD space doesn't really matter as much these days like it once did

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its also why web security is more important. Nothing like storing something in the Cloud and then reading about some provider being hacked and user data being stolen...

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is an interesting App. It doesn't show all of the RAM on the device as it never shows a total of more than 130MB or so. While the iPad has 256MB of RAM.

It is possible that Apple doesn't allow Apps to see all available memory on the iPad. So I have to say if the App cannot show the complete picture, it is useless for determing if there are memory leaks.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be much more interesting once iOS4 hits and we can start loading multiple apps. I wonder if it will just refuse to load another app when memory runs low, or swap it out to storage...

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will be much more interesting once iOS4 hits and we can start loading multiple apps. I wonder if it will just refuse to load another app when memory runs low, or swap it out to storage...

My understanding with iOS4, because the device has so little RAM it swaps out everything except the App that is in the foreground. So that App has most of the memory. The background apps have their state saved so when you switch back to them they can reload fairly quickly.

Does anyone here have an iPhone 4 who can comment? I have an old iPod Touch, but word is iOS4 on that device blows, so I have not upgraded.

OP
mslammers

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
That is an interesting App. It doesn't show all of the RAM on the device as it never shows a total of more than 130MB or so. While the iPad has 256MB of RAM.

It is possible that Apple doesn't allow Apps to see all available memory on the iPad. So I have to say if the App cannot show the complete picture, it is useless for determing if there are memory leaks.

Well on my iPad, it shows 215MB available and 125MB free. So given the circumstances, it seems useful to me. It is the Inactive value that keeps increasing.

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's the pleasure/pain of Apple stuff - rather like modern cars where you can't see anything useful under the bonnet (hood), just all covered in plastic.

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, 14 posts in >45 mins... Fast work, Hal. Going for some sort of record, huh?

Most reactions

Latest posts