What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad large pdf viewer app

chansen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at an electric cooperative and we are thinking of replacing some of our large clumsy 500 page map books with iPads. But we want to make sure that there is a simple app out there that can handle a 500 page file and more importantly is indexed and capable of skipping to a certain page number, say pg. 369 if necessary without paging through them all. Editing them and saving it is also an option we are looking at. Just wondering what is out there...thanks for the help!

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work at an electric cooperative and we are thinking of replacing some of our large clumsy 500 page map books with iPads. But we want to make sure that there is a simple app out there that can handle a 500 page file and more importantly is indexed and capable of skipping to a certain page number, say pg. 369 if necessary without paging through them all. Editing them and saving it is also an option we are looking at. Just wondering what is out there...thanks for the help!

All things pdf for the iPad leads through Goodreader. Incredible app.

OP
C

chansen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay well were thinking a pdf file might be too large. What is the best option for making a jpeg image book of 500 pages that can be indexed. We aren't woried as much about the editing and saving aspect anymore and also fyi they are mostly balck and white pages with minimal color.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but you might want to think about doing it as a database.

You could easily replace pages when they are updated, without having to regenerate the whole thing. Add other fields for searching, sorting, notes, directions, etc.

I could make a usesable database of this type with Bento, but don't think I could scale it up to sync with multiple iPads. Another app in the store that looks promising is Tap Forms HD. It has DropBox syncing, so it might work for as a mobile enterprise solution. But I don't know if it can display the pictures in a zoomable scrollable window. It will do a location tag with a map function, which has to be a enticing feature for your use case.

So, what I would do is search the App Store for databases, pick the most likely candidates, and then contact the developers to see if they know how/if their app can be used for your project.

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a couple of 300+ page PDFs of books that I can read with GoodReader, that are mostly text but have full-page colour illustrations throughout them as well. So from what you are saying, I would think you should be able to do what you want with a PDF.

Ronoxyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, my first post, yes, Goodreader is nice but I believe, from experience, that iBooks is a lot better in handling PDF files in terms of page navigation and page zooming. Besides, iBooks is a free app.

Most reactions

Latest posts