What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad & Kindle Sync

bfiliss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this may be an absolutely stupid question. when synching my iPad with my Kindle is the synch only one way with regard to page sync? if i read to a further location on my Kindle, the iPad will not sync to that page, but if i read further on my iPad and than sync on my kindle the kindle will sync to the latest page that i read to on the iPad. is this normal?

dogenia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindle sync

I have the kindle app installed on the Macbook, Ipod touch and the Ipad.

All three devices sync to the last read page np.

I think you need to make sure that whichever device you used last was connected to the WIFI/Internet so it can sync the latest page read. This is not automatic I noticed. You might have to physically press the button to get this going. On the Ipad and the Ipod touch its in the lower right hand corner of the screen once you tap the page. On the mac its in the menu itself.

Good luck.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After iPad kindle opens hit the refresh/sync and it wil catch up... I sync with BB kindle and have to update on ipad

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
You have to leave the radio turned on on your Kindle for it to work in both directions. I use the Kindle app on both iPhone 4 and iPad 3G, plus a Kindle 3, and it works seamlessly no matter what device I use.

Mousewife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having the same problem with sync

I own an iPhone and an iPad. You asked if the page location sync was only one way, and I can tell you, by experience, it is not. When I first started using the Kindle app, both devices would sync to the other's page location. however, now my iPad will not recognize a new location reached on the iPhone. And no amount of button pushing, as suggested, helps with this problem. My iPhone, though, will advance to the new page reached by the iPad. Anyone know what to do with this problem? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!:)

Mousewife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fixed the problem

I fixed the problem by simply rebooting my iPhone and iPad. I don't know why it took me so long to try this, as about 80% of my computer problems are solved in this manner. Anyway, maybe this will help someone. If all else fails, REBOOT!;)

Maketso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own an iPhone and an iPad. You asked if the page location sync was only one way, and I can tell you, by experience, it is not. When I first started using the Kindle app, both devices would sync to the other's page location. however, now my iPad will not recognize a new location reached on the iPhone. And no amount of button pushing, as suggested, helps with this problem. My iPhone, though, will advance to the new page reached by the iPad. Anyone know what to do with this problem? Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!:)

I have the exact same problem. It used to work, now nothing helps. The iPhone will sync with the iPad, but the iPad just refuses to play. Any help much appreciated.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Huh! I never thought about syncing kindle to a phone! This is too cool. I just synced my iPad to my Droid2. Thank you for this thread.

Android and Mac sync. This is a beautiful thing.:)

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I have the exact same problem. It used to work, now nothing helps. The iPhone will sync with the iPad, but the iPad just refuses to play. Any help much appreciated.

Annotation backup must be turned on on both devices

toddniem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just purchased my ipad and have been using the kindle software. My kindle and Ipad are both connected through my wifi. I read the ipad my my bed but take the kindle on my commute. Do I need to turn on the kindle before leaving the house to synch with the ipad or will the wispernet connect with it while it is in the off position???

Reaction score
toddniem said:
I just purchased my ipad and have been using the kindle software. My kindle and Ipad are both connected through my wifi. I read the ipad my my bed but take the kindle on my commute. Do I need to turn on the kindle before leaving the house to synch with the ipad or will the wispernet connect with it while it is in the off position???

Well, it depends.

The Kindle can update the books location whenever it has an Internet connection.

So if you have either Kindle 1,2 or Kindle DX white, it definitely has a 3G connection and can update anytime.
If you have a Kindle 3, or Kindle DX graphite, it depends on whether you bought the 3G version. If the kindle is wifi only, you obviously need to update before leaving home.

Edit: Only Kindle 3, or Kindle DX 2 have wifi and you mentioned it connects via Wifi at home, so it really depends on what device you bought.

timtruro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to leave the radio turned on on your Kindle for it to work in both directions. I use the Kindle app on both iPhone 4 and iPad 3G, plus a Kindle 3, and it works seamlessly no matter what device I use.

This solved my problem but I guess if I have read the kindle without the wireless on and then leave the house with the iPad , no sync will occur, guess that makes sens since it needs a way to make the connection. However leaving the wireless on the Kindle does wear down the battery quicker.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This solved my problem but I guess if I have read the kindle without the wireless on and then leave the house with the iPad , no sync will occur, guess that makes sens since it needs a way to make the connection. However leaving the wireless on the Kindle does wear down the battery quicker.

You don't need to be online the whole time you're reading. You can read offline, then turn on your connection only long enough for the Amazon data base to register your last page when you're about to put away your device, then turn off your connection. That takes very little juice.

RZRgrannie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fixed the problem by simply rebooting my iPhone and iPad. I don't know why it took me so long to try this, as about 80% of my computer problems are solved in this manner. Anyway, maybe this will help someone. If all else fails, REBOOT!;)
Why didn't I think of that????? Solved my problem! THANKS

Most reactions

Latest posts