What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Killers? What do you think?

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Checked out the Samsung Galaxy tab recently. I actually saw it in a Costco store in Canada. Looks neat but there two big drawbacks for me; I think you have to sign up for service as you would a phone and the second is that I am not so sure about the apps available for this device.

I have pretty much got accustomed to several apps that I use in my job as a teacher using the ipad and I am not sure these same apps or similar ones will be available for the new Tab.

The size too is a concern but I could get over that.

I think there is also the Motopad and Playbook.
What do you guys think about these so called killers?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, for business reason we have a Galaxy Tab for almost 2 month one of the biggest complain is the lack of app’s and the second is the response time compare to the iPad …

Web surfing is a little better than a mobile due to the size
other than this reading eBook is not that good … this devices is more like a mobile and a OLD PALM than a real tablet of the 21 century …

concerning the Moto and PlayBook , i think at the beginning they will have the app’s problem, as yet we can’t judge them only based on the data …

T

TJK

For some the reason the whole "iPad Killer" nomenclature just annoys me. Build a device...at the right feature set, performance, and price it will find an audience.
Even Google CEO Eric Schmidt has been quoted as saying that the Android OS is not optimized for tablets and from what I have seen I would have to agree. However, Chrome could be a very powerful tablet OS.

I think the genius of the iPad is also what draws the most fire from critics: it is defined more by what it does NOT do than what it does. It does not have an SD card slot, it can't talk to external storage media, etc. But the "lack" of those features keeps it simple, solid, and fast.

IMHO the only company that will be able to come close to the Apple iPad in the near term is RIM with the Playbook. Blackberries are rock solid choices in the business world and in large part that is due to the fact that, like Apple, RIM controls the hardware, OS, apps, everything. There are not 15 or 16 versions of iOS or RIM OS out there (like Android) and there are not potentially thousands of different hardware manufacturers running different microprocessors, ram, screens ,etc. It is the same problem that MS has with Win7....people complain about the bloat but they must be compatible with any system, hardware, peripheral and the literally countless permutations thereof. How many of us bitch about our PCs when really it is a poorly designed peripheral or driver that is bringing the system down?

RIM and Apple, I believe, are successful for much of the same reasons. Controlling the platform and access to the platform gives you a much better chance of enhancing the experience for the customer.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tjk I like your response I do not like the word killer one is comparing 2 form factor of devices sure it is competition however as I stated in another post it is about choice. If the shoe fits wear it users buy any consumer devices for their personal reason. Similar to phones. Many like contracts instead of paying outright for devices Example RIm's blackberry phones. A lot of problems users have are not about the phones, ipads, and other tablet devices it is the networks they use like AT&T. In Australia we can use any network we want and funny enough you donot get any where near the complaints here. I personally get enjoyment out of the variety of applications available for the ipad and what makes it cool and so great they work on the ipod touch , iphone and ipad. There are many here hate iTunes however for me it's heaven and again works with out hiccup on my Mac. Apple tv and all devices. I agree iTunes is a bit bloated however I am sure Apple will only make it better Apple made it easy for the masses that is a major reason for their success and as you pointed out they own the hardware and software RIM makes excellent solid products and yes they will sell mainly into the business corporate market as that is what they are good at. Having competitive products is healthy so in summary the next 12 months will be interesting to say the least. It can only get better

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and like the Galaxy tab more.
2010-12-11013932.jpg

SC20101209-024435.png

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some the reason the whole "iPad Killer" nomenclature just annoys me. Build a device...at the right feature set, performance, and price it will find an audience.
Even Google CEO Eric Schmidt has been quoted as saying that the Android OS is not optimized for tablets and from what I have seen I would have to agree. However, Chrome could be a very powerful tablet OS.

I think the genius of the iPad is also what draws the most fire from critics: it is defined more by what it does NOT do than what it does. It does not have an SD card slot, it can't talk to external storage media, etc. But the "lack" of those features keeps it simple, solid, and fast.

IMHO the only company that will be able to come close to the Apple iPad in the near term is RIM with the Playbook. Blackberries are rock solid choices in the business world and in large part that is due to the fact that, like Apple, RIM controls the hardware, OS, apps, everything. There are not 15 or 16 versions of iOS or RIM OS out there (like Android) and there are not potentially thousands of different hardware manufacturers running different microprocessors, ram, screens ,etc. It is the same problem that MS has with Win7....people complain about the bloat but they must be compatible with any system, hardware, peripheral and the literally countless permutations thereof. How many of us bitch about our PCs when really it is a poorly designed peripheral or driver that is bringing the system down?

RIM and Apple, I believe, are successful for much of the same reasons. Controlling the platform and access to the platform gives you a much better chance of enhancing the experience for the customer.

i agree with you when you compare RIM & Apple , but have one important point you didn’t consider , is RIM is not creative as Apple we have see their fail with the ‘’ Storm’’ , they also miss the media content … this can be a week point for them to arrive to be big challenger of course we should give them the time but currently Apple is far behind all is competitor in this point …. ,

Have also one company can be a serious player in this field if they decide to enter with the right products is Nintendo, with they giant catalogue they can take a big share, they have long experience in handheld device of course they will need to enter in field where they never be in the past, but Apple did the same 3 years ago with the iPhone and we know the result

Have also one player i am waiting they come is HP with WebOs, as this platform is a excellent base and HP also manage their Hardware i don’t think they buy Palm only for use WebOs in their printer

Time will tell us, but i scare iPad will did like the iPhone be so far behind then nobody really arrive to catch him (even now 3 years after)

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read recently about the Galaxy Tab where it was evaluated against the iPad. It says a lot when even a year later, no one has really found a good counter to it. There are situations where one or another competitors is a better choice, but not any serious threat. With all the advances coming out with the iPad2, things may get a lot more interesting. Eventually someone will make a strong competitor, but it may be years. The iPhone is just now getting serious competition, and when Verizon gets the iPhone, there will be a strong growth in sales.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
STi,
What is the factor that makes you prefer the Tab? I wasn't impressed with the netbook sized screen (1024x768 res.). Is it the smaller size that you like?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watched some stuff from LeWeb earlier this week with Leo Laporte and one of the Four Space founders. They had a Galaxy Tab there and got talking about it. The consensus was it is a really good device, and Leo even mentioned he liked it a bit more than the iPad because it was easier to carry. He preferred the new MacBook Air to the iPad when carrying a larger device because of the keyboard.

Interesting comments I thought.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah the biggest threat to the current iPad is the Airs. Sweet pieces of kit.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Galaxy Tab is a complete POS if you look at the bigger picture.

But the tablets being released in the next 6 months are going to give the iPad a run for their money. But nothing is going to "kill" the iPad, just like there aren't any Windows machines that "kill" Mac computers. There will be people who still buy the iPad even when there are technically better options available.

Oh, and Android OS 3.0 will be optimized for tablets and gaming. So right now, they are still in the teething phase, but once we get 3.0 and some higher performance tablets, the iPad will lose it's majority market share.

Last edited:

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The major failing of the Galaxy though?

Price.

It retails (without mobile contract) at Ă‚ÂŁ449 in the UK. The 16Gb wifi iPad is Ă‚ÂŁ429 (Ă‚ÂŁ529 for the 3G), and - from my perspective (and the majority of independent reviews), the iPad is simply a superior device to use. Now that's not to say the Galaxy Tab isn't any good - it IS a good device.. but I think pricing it between the two 16Gb iPads combined with it being (along with all the others) a bit late to the market has ruined it's chances at becoming a ubiquitous device. I think you need a very strong practical reason to buy a galaxy over an iPad.

The Playbook needs to be released before any judgement can be made...

And all the other pretenders are simply laughable - ancient versions of android or Win7? I'd rather saw my arms off.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the Playbook is going to be terrible honestly, due to one simple thing, real app support. It's running it's own OS which no other devices are really using, so unless it becomes a HUGE seller, developers aren't going to make apps for it.

Most reactions

Latest posts