What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad jailbreak (need a little help)

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a shinny new iPad that I would like to jailbreak.
I have searched the innerwebs but have found little info for how to do so with my firmware / os
and thought that some big brains here could help me out.

I have an iPad

Firmware 3.2.1 (7B405)

I see that PwnageTool has a Jailbreak for OS 3.2.2 on the site here...
However I have 2 questions.

1. (This is the stupid question) Is the OS and Firmware the same? or do I just happen to have a Firmware and OS both with 3.2.1?

2. Does that Jailbreak only work for OS 3.2.2 or will it jailbreak iPads running firmware 3.2.2 and iOS 4.1.2?

3. How / Where do I find a Restore for the iPad that will update me to iOS 4.1.2. I have seen plenty for iPhone 4g/3g/2g and iPod but none for iPad.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the font of knowledge that dwells here.

Taylor263621

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dont jailbreak it just yet, an Untethered Jailbreak is coming very soon. Hang tight. Try going to Jailbreakme.com on your ipad, and if you do not get a message saying your device is too new, then slide to jailbreak, but if it says your device is too new, then wait for the untethered!

hope this helps

OP
T

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is the one "coming" the greenp0ison one I have been hearing about?

I guess my question re: that is will it unlock iPads?
there seems to be little info on iPads but tons on iPhones.

Re: unlockme.com
have you used that? does it work and is it safe?
am I correct in understanding it will do it all remotely from that url?

and as I have your attention...
could you clarify this for me...

when I go into the iPads about section to check on the firmware I have this
Firmware 3.2.1 (7B405)

then when I sync with my computer I can't find the firmware HOWEVER it says that the "System" is 3.2.1 now is that referring to the iOS or the Firmware
OR are the actually the exact same thing?

Lastly dose anyone know where I can get "restore" iOS's for the iPad
so if I wanted to upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.1 instead of using apples upgrade
which will get me to the newest iOS....

again I see lots of info on iPhone but little on iPad..

thanks again
:)

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a shinny new iPad that I would like to jailbreak.
I have searched the innerwebs but have found little info for how to do so with my firmware / os
and thought that some big brains here could help me out.

I have an iPad

Firmware 3.2.1 (7B405)

I see that PwnageTool has a Jailbreak for OS 3.2.2 on the site here...
However I have 2 questions.

1. (This is the stupid question) Is the OS and Firmware the same? or do I just happen to have a Firmware and OS both with 3.2.1?

2. Does that Jailbreak only work for OS 3.2.2 or will it jailbreak iPads running firmware 3.2.2 and iOS 4.1.2?

3. How / Where do I find a Restore for the iPad that will update me to iOS 4.1.2. I have seen plenty for iPhone 4g/3g/2g and iPod but none for iPad.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the font of knowledge that dwells here.

DON'T UPDATE/UPGRADE YOUR IOS/FIRMWARE
yet !

1: Yes

2: Every jailbreak jailbreaks a certain firmware version or a range of different firmwares.

3: If u wanna have the lastest firmware, then just use iTunes "Update" (But don't update), better to have an (old) firmware and have some knowlage about why or why not to upgrade firmware.

There are many aspects to know before u jailbreak.

1- Is there any working jailbreak for my iDevice/Firmware
2- Mac or PC user (Not all jailbreaks Is for both)
3- 4.2.1 can be jailbroken Untethered but only If u have a Mac or a Hackintosh

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are lucky!
I wish i still had access to 3.2.1 on my 3g iPad!
Just a shame you cannot save your shsh's for that version any more...

As ipad-sweden suggested, take your time before making a decision. You have the easiest firmware to jailbreak. Just open safari on the ipad and visit jailbreakme.com.
Unfortunately, the only downside is if something goes wrong you will only have the option to restore to 4.2.1...

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works with Tiny Umbrella and save the SHSH file local on the computer and then run Tinys server so Itunes takes the file from the mac/Pc. U will get stuck upon the reboot after u restore It to 3.2.1 again, but just kick It out with Tiny.

And as f4780y says, just visit www.Jailbreakme.com from your ipad and drag the slide, DONE, jailbroken iPad on 3.2.1.

Need any help to be able to restore to 3.2.1 (Save your SHSH localy)? just notify me and I'll guide u or google for 4 your answer.

Last edited:
OP
T

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks guys!
I was hoping to run 4.1 as there are more then a few apps that I want to purchase that require that OS or higher.

is there a restore package that someone could direct me to so I can update my iPad to 4.1 and then go to jailbreakme.com for it to do it's magic???

thx

oh and should I be saving my shsh (as if I know what that is :D ) before I do anything?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks guys!
I was hoping to run 4.1 as there are more then a few apps that I want to purchase that require that OS or higher.

is there a restore package that someone could direct me to so I can update my iPad to 4.1 and then go to jailbreakme.com for it to do it's magic???

thx

oh and should I be saving my shsh (as if I know what that is :D ) before I do anything?

The only choice you have is 4.2.1. 4.1 was never for the iPad (iphone and ipod only). So you either stay on 3.2.1 or go to 4.2.1.

Google TinyUmbrella and download it. That will allow you to start saving your shsh blobs, but you can only start with 4.2.1 because apple only provide them for the current firmware. You cannot save them retrospectively im afraid...

OP
T

terraform

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only choice you have is 4.2.1. 4.1 was never for the iPad (iphone and ipod only). So you either stay on 3.2.1 or go to 4.2.1.

OK that explains a lot of my confusion.
I kept seeing hacks for 4.1 and "restore" packages for the iPhone and iPod
but I couldn't ever find it for the iPad.... This explains it.

I need to do some googleing on these shsh blobs as I really have no idea what everyone is talking about and why I would want to save them. But Ill do that on my own time, the group here has answered all the "relevant" questions I had... I thank you all.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need to do some googleing on these shsh blobs as I really have no idea what everyone is talking about and why I would want to save them. But Ill do that on my own time, the group here has answered all the "relevant" questions I had... I thank you all.

The link below is to the faq for TinyUmbrella. Its a really good resource about shsh's etc.
Once you are done reading it all, download tu and start saving!

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella: FAQ

Hope that helps...

Most reactions