What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad install on my 08' Sequoia

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So finally I decided to use the pro-clip mounting solution to install my iPad in the Sequoia. I bought the expensive one with the pass-through cable to the dock connector, works like a charm. Very secure connection and very easy to slide the iPad in.

Some pictures:

1. Dash without the iPad:

0_0_fe0cad1a961734934d7cea73a05e682a_1

2. With the iPad holder in the landscape position:

0_0_3a4c7d1adb0e7bfa49a547a3b6106744_1

3. In the Portrait position:

0_0_640052d550bda9ab4dc080ac095719e9_1

4. With the iPad in the landscape mode:

0_0_9670dd188d974294c3648ecd5fe55546_1

5. With the iPad in the portrait mode:

0_0_8dc0dbfd6813b57512d3f58e5bd05aee_1

I haven't yet connected to the AV audio cable because I need to power it up via usb hub that gives me constant power even if the (tablet) computer is off or not present (there is an DCDC PSU (M4) behind the dash powering devices, see my signature for the details). But I plan to hide the cable behind the mount so that it stays completely out of the sight, and then I would just slide the iPad in no problem. As you can see on the video, this is a one hand operation:

Here is the video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2FrjJ9bKwE[/ame]

One advantage of this install is that you can use the iPad both on landscape and portrait mode. You can also fight glare easily, and when I want to use the keyboard input, I can tilt it horizontally enough to make it way more confortable.

I'm going on a 6h drive south tomorrow, taking the kids to Disney, and I going to use the tablet and the iPad for the entertainment. For now, the tablet will control the rear screens, but the tablet will not be in the car all the time, only on long trips (because it can access the 640GB local media HD).

Very happy with it so far.

OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Streaming HDTV (Hawaii 5-0) recorded on my HTPC via Orb app:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Yn9tgHDPg[/ame]

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very nice. I may have to get one of these for work.

Is it easy to install? What's the price? (links)

OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!

I bought it from Pro-Clip USA, http://www.proclipusa.com/; the model with the pass-through connector (so that I can use the AV cable and wire it for the rear passengers too), while also charging it. But the battery lasts very well, so even the cheap one may be enough for most.

I also bought the move clip system, so I can remove the frame holder completely if I want to.

Very very easy install.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That looks sweet man! Nice job! I've got the 02 Sequoia Limited, so different dash entirely from yours. Did you have a vehicle specific mount, or is that a universal mount (the base vehicle mount)? The one they show for my 02 Sequoia wraps around the factory radio. But, I dont have a factory radio...I have an upgraded Kenwood DVD/Nav double-din system. So...the only other option I see is that I could do one of the console mounts (?)...but I really like the location of where you have yours. Any ideas?

OP
R

Ripplinghurst

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you seen their console mounts? Maybe that will work for you.

What I like about the proclip is that they are very sturdy over bumps, when touching the screen etc. Very well designed. And I think you can adapt their adapters to your needs, in my case, I could fit it into any flat spot on my dash easily, I just like it close to the steering wheel, makes using the iPad effortless.

Most reactions