What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad GPS-software

brahcy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey! Got a quick question for you guys, I just bought myself an iPad 16GB 3G and am interested in using it as a GPS in the veichle from time to time.

If I've understood everything correct, the 3G-version have a built-in GPS. So the question is, whats the best GPS-software out there today, if you get the question?

I live in Sweden, so it must have detailed coverage of Europe or Scandinavia..

TedGamble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using TomTom USA for almost a year on my iPhone. I installed it on my iPad and it works wonderfully. You have to have the 3G version of the iPad because that's the only one that has GPS. The only downside is that it's an iPhone app, so you have to "2X" it to get full screen.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
brahcy said:
Hey! Got a quick question for you guys, I just bought myself an iPad 16GB 3G and am interested in using it as a GPS in the veichle from time to time.

If I've understood everything correct, the 3G-version have a built-in GPS. So the question is, whats the best GPS-software out there today, if you get the question?

Hello brahcy, welcome to our forum. I have a 3G iPad and I use the app Motion GPS XD. In the USA, it costs US$2.99. I really like it cause you can download maps while wifi connected and use it to give you an idea of where you are on the map. In addition, it does a great job using the 3G iPad's built in gps. I cannot really tell you it is the best, other forum members recommended it in other postings so I just went with these recommendations. This is the only app I use.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So If I have a 32g wifi only I can't download a gps and use it if wireless tethering off my droid x while in the car?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
accordlayingkit said:
So If I have a 32g wifi only I can't download a gps and use it if wireless tethering off my droid x while in the car?

Since I do not have a wifi only iPad, I cannot verify whether or not you would get gps services with a wifi iPad while tethered to a droid x phone while in the car. I know that you can download MotionGPS HD and still get gps via wifi. How that works, again, I don't know as I don't have your specific configuration. Hopefully someone with something similar to your situation chimes in.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I believe TomTom supports bluetooth external GPS, but i don't know of anything that works through tethering to a phone with built-in GPS... Sorry.

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi/hej

Without any doubt I recommend navigon 1.7, use it my self, and the map coverage is super great.
I have them all on my iPad , tom-tom navigon, sygic, gamin and ozi, but navigon is the one to use.
Navigon have the best user interface as well, and are very easy to navigate in.

Send me a private message here if u what to know further in this question and will be happy to help u.

(Eller sÃ¥ hitter du mig pÃ¥ [email protected])

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about the map app that ca,
Me on my iPad? I enter start and end address and it shows me where t go jus like a gps does correct?

gatorguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with iPad Sweden. I have Navigon loaded on mine and it is on par with any GPS appliance as far as the list of featured it has.

Gatorguy

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon 1.7 looks pretty sweet, was kinda shocked to see a $60 app cause I'm so use to pay 99 cents or even free! Lol may have to give it a try but only thing is I have a wife only iPad but I tether a lot from my droid x when ever I'm not home....but I guess as long as I have a wifi signal like I would on the road from my phone it would work right? And if I ever got rid of my phone and didn't tether anymore I'd be SOL

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon 1.7 looks pretty sweet, was kinda shocked to see a $60 app cause I'm so use to pay 99 cents or even free! Lol may have to give it a try but only thing is I have a wife only iPad but I tether a lot from my droid x when ever I'm not home....but I guess as long as I have a wifi signal like I would on the road from my phone it would work right? And if I ever got rid of my phone and didn't tether anymore I'd be SOL

????????

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Navigon 1.7 looks pretty sweet, was kinda shocked to see a $60 app cause I'm so use to pay 99 cents or even free! Lol

Don't you wםrry, ,many that have it , are with a JailBroken iPAD, and paid $0 for the application. ;)

OP
B

brahcy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your answers! Seems like Navigon is speaked highly about in the thread, also TomTom and Motion GPS, gonna check them up..

accordlayingkit, you're talking about a GPS-app that's already in the iPad. Are we talking about Google Maps?

Most reactions

Latest posts