What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad- Generation 1

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a generation 1 from a friend of mine a few days ago Everything was working fine until a few hours ago. Now when I turn the Ipad on all I get is welcome in all different languages. The Ipad is fully charged and I have done a reset multiple times by holding the home button in along with the power on switch.

It will not let me go to apps, mail, etc. If I press the home button in I get a message that setup is not complete, do I want to continue or cancel. I've tried both with no luck.

Anybody know what the problemm is ?

Thanks

Larry

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I've moved your thread to our Help Section where you will receive a better response.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a generation 1 from a friend of mine a few days ago Everything was working fine until a few hours ago. Now when I turn the Ipad on all I get is welcome in all different languages. The Ipad is fully charged and I have done a reset multiple times by holding the home button in along with the power on switch.

It will not let me go to apps, mail, etc. If I press the home button in I get a message that setup is not complete, do I want to continue or cancel. I've tried both with no luck.

Thanks

Larry
Connect the iPad to the PC with iTunes and complete/redo the entire setup process.

If upon connecting to iTunes you get stuck let us know.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry for being so dense, but how do connect the Ipad to the PC with Itunes ? I do know how to use the USB cable to the computer and then to the Ipad, but then what ?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have forgotten your pass code to unlock you iPad, the only way to get back in is to do a restore of your iPad. When you turn on your iPad and get to the languages does it allow you to select the language and continue?

Once you restore, this puts your iPad back to factory settings based on what I have read.

I am going to give you a few links regarding forgotten pass code.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/61503-help-i-have-forgotten-my-passcode.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/41250-passcode-forgotten.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/32057-forgot-restriction-passcode.html

By chance do you have things backed up on iCloud?

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does allow me to select a language. There is a check mark at english. If I hit the small down arrow on the screen, all the other languages appear, but again there is a check mark at english. The screen is moving saying welcome in all different languages. At the top of the screen there is a blue arrow but nothing happens when I press it. I can get no further no matter what I do.

Larry

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry for being so dense, but how do connect the Ipad to the PC with Itunes ? I do know how to use the USB cable to the computer and then to the Ipad, but then what ?

You will need to open iTunes up from your computer. Once open connect your USB wire to your computer. iTunes will recognize your iPad and take you thru the steps. See the 2nd link. I believe there are instructs direct from apple there.

It does allow me to select a language. There is a check mark at english. If I hit the small down arrow on the screen, all the other languages appear, but again there is a check mark at english. The screen is moving saying welcome in all different languages. At the top of the screen there is a blue arrow but nothing happens when I press it. I can get no further no matter what I do.

Larry

Your other post stated you forgot your pass code. I answered based on that question, but your original post here, says nothing of that. It sounds like you haven't connected yet to iTunes. That's what I needed to know. Follow the instructs that Midranger and I have given.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well here's an update on my Ipad first generation. I did the complete restore from Itunes websight. It took about 45 minutes and the Ipad flashed a few times during the install. It completely installed. Now when I turn on the Ipad the welcome in different languages is gone. Now what pops up is location services and it wants me to select to enable location services or disable location services. I put the check mark to enable location services then hit next which is at the top right corner. Nothing happens. I can not get out of location services screen. I rebooted a number of times but nothing happens.

Any ideas what to do now ?

Thanks

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vettecor said:
Well here's an update on my Ipad first generation. I did the complete restore from Itunes websight. It took about 45 minutes and the Ipad flashed a few times during the install. It completely installed. Now when I turn on the Ipad the welcome in different languages is gone. Now what pops up is location services and it wants me to select to enable location services or disable location services. I put the check mark to enable location services then hit next which is at the top right corner. Nothing happens. I can not get out of location services screen. I rebooted a number of times but nothing happens.

Any ideas what to do now ?

Thanks

I don't know because I don't remember how the screens were presented during setup but it sounds like you are missing something.

What do you mean restored from iTunes website? I was under the impression it hasn't worked since you obtained it. iTunes doesn't have a web client I'm aware of unless you mean iCloud and if it never worked how did you back it up? I would suggest a flat install not a restore considering you are having issue after issue attempting to restore the iPad rather than reload it.

If problems persist I would recommend a trip to the Apple store where the genius bar can either perform the setup and customization or identify a hardware fault if indeed that is your issue.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vettecor said:

Thanks

Larry

My apologies...seems it was working at some point.

Something happened here. Is it possible the former owner did a remote wipe? What state was the iPad in when purchased? Did you have to connect it to iTunes or was it operational when purchased?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please speak of the pass code issue that you have discussed in your other post, which Mickey330 spoke to you about. I had copied my post from that thread to here. It is apparent that the there is more info that has not been disclosed in order for us to help you.

Were you using it fine, than forget the pads code? From there is that when you did the restore and came up with the location ad welcome screen?

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Went I got the Ipad from my friend it was working. Then I received a 4 digit box asking for a passcode. After not knowing the passcode the Ipad was disabled. I guess I should have waited to ask my friend for the code. Stupid me. Then everytime I tried to use the Ipad I would get a screen saying welcome in all different languages, even though english was marked ! I tried holding the home button in along with the on/off switch but nothing would work.

I was told to download Itunes from my computer to install on the Ipad, which I did. I really thought this would work. Now when I turn on the Ipad the welcome in all different languages is gone. Hooray. After I slide the switch it comes up to a screen that says location services and wants me to pick enable or disable location services. After I pick enable, (I have tried both ways), I push next which is located at the top right corner, but nothing happens. It just stays on the location services screen.

I guess I will have to discuss all of this with my friend. If he has a backup maybe it will work.

Everybody from this forum has been so great to help me because I really am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If there is anything else I should do please inform.

Thanks again

Larry

sandisk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
software misconfiguration perhaps? why dont u bring the iPad to the dealer and let them sort out the faulties.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Ipad is up and working. My friend still had the backup which he installed yesterday. He was a lifesaver. Nice to have friends like him.

I want thank everybody for your help. This is one great forum.

Larry

Most reactions