What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad from eBay has no SIM card?

Beedubb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an Ipad off ebay and while I do like it, it doesn't have a SIM card? How do I go about getting one? How much will a SIM card run me?

Before I get crucified I bought from ebay because I couldn't find one locally and it was only 600 dollars (16gb 3G).

This was our first Mac product and it was so nice we bought a Macbook pro the very next day! Definitely no going back to pc...

Looking forward to being a positive member of the MAC community. Any light you can shed on my problem would be GREAT. Many thanks in advance.

OP
B

Beedubb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think he sold me the 3G model? It does have that red plastic at the top like a TV remote control.

The guy has been aloof though.

So any ideas on how to get a sim card? How much they cost?

yvrgal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to sign up for a data feature with a wireless mobile provider and they will provide you a micro sim card.

Depending on how much data you're going to use, the price will range from 15 to 35 dollars a month.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

iPF Novice
Reaction score

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The plastic 'window' at the top of the iPad isn't red. If yours is, it's a problem. Is there a micro-sim drawer on the left side as you hold with the home button down?

OP
B

Beedubb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are correct my iPad does not have red plastic at the top. It does resemble a TV remote though. I guess ipads don't come with a sim card right out of the box?

I do appreciate the assistance everyone!!! Thanks so much.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3G comes with a sim card from the factory. With the hold button on the bottom, there will be a small slot on the upper left frame side. If there is not one there, you have been scammed and sold a 16G at $100 profit for him. If there is one, I would be cautious because it may be that the unit is stolen and that is why they pulled the card out, so it could not be tracked. Call me a sceptic, but I have little faith in eBay.

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both the WiFi and 3G iPads. The 3G has a micro-sim slot on the left hand side of the frame. iPad 3G ships with a micro-sim and give an error warning when the sim is not inserted (even if you have not signed up with a service). So, I hope you have the slot which comes with an Apple provided small diameter tool to remove the sim holder and micro-sim. (note: a small paper clip might fit as well).

I did have AT&T replace my micro-sim (normally a $15 fee for another SIM), but since their database was hacked, the sim serial is linked to the registered owner's email address. The only way to unlink the cellular sim from you is to change the micro-sim, and AT&T was kind enough to provide another micro-sim for free. The new sim retained my unlimited data plan days and it worked fine without any (re) activation problem.

I'd go to at AT&T store, tell them you just got it and that you want to use the their 3G service and need a new micro-sim. It also avoids the past AT&T security breach. Good luck.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have a plastic strip at the top then it is a 3G, the wifi only versions are only aluminum on the back (except the Apple logo). No, they don't come with a SIM card.

Crackalaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, they don't come with a SIM card.

YES, they do come from the factory with a sim card. this iPad was probably used and the sim card was removed before selling, possibly due to the fact it was "attached "to the original owners account. As previous posters have said just go to an ATT store and obtain a new one, no big deal.

Talis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YES, they do come from the factory with a sim card.

Depends on the Country. I'm in the UK and acquired my sim card separately to my iPad as I hadn't made up my mind which provider to go with at the time of purchase.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, they don't come with a SIM card.

YES, they do come from the factory with a sim card. this iPad was probably used and the sim card was removed before selling, possibly due to the fact it was "attached "to the original owners account. As previous posters have said just go to an ATT store and obtain a new one, no big deal.

Hm... Mine was definitely delivered directly to my door from the factory in China with no SIM card.

To the OP, yeah, if it is a 3G like you wanted, don't worry, nobody is trying to rip you off.

spinfreak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hm... Mine was definitely delivered directly to my door from the factory in China with no SIM card.

Mine came direct from China with a SIM card. Go figure!

If his is really a 3G, it will have the option for "Cellular Data" in the Settings Menu.

Mine arrived with a sim also. I guess just 1 more reason that the USA is better than the rest of the world :D

Most reactions

Latest posts