What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad external speakers ?

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to a party last weekend and the DJ was controlling the music from his Ipad to LARGE, probably 4 feet high, external speakers. I didn't see any wires going from the Ipad to the speakers.

How is this possible ?

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, not sure but there are likely a number of options? Do you know if the music being played was on the iPad and whether Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (BT) was being used as the wireless connection?

As an example, I have a Boston Acoustics soundbar for my HDTV - the soundbar is BT capable, so I can 'pair' my iPad (or my iPod) to the soundbar and them play music on either device to the speaker unit. BT or Wi-Fi options to another electronic device attached to the speakers you heard would be another consideration; if the music was not on the iPad, then there may have been a remote control app which used a 'wireless' connection to control the sound. Hopefully others' will 'chime in' - :)

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Could also have had an iPod hooked up to powered speakers (or amp) and used a 3rd party app like Tango Remote to control everything from the iPad with no physical wires. But since it uses BT, there's a distance limit.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I talked to him briefly and he said he has over 7,000 songs on his Ipad and he was playing the songs from his Ipad. I was going to ask about how he accomplished this from his Ipad but it was really crowded and noisey and once he started playing songs you could not hear your self think.

The speakers were about 15-20 ft from him and his Ipad.

I am having an outside party next month and really want to play my songs I have on my Ipad and connect to external speakers. I only have about 120 songs on my Ipad and I have some Kenwood speakers that are 5 ft high. Just not sure I can figure all this out by then.

Thanks for the information.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I talked to him briefly and he said he has over 7,000 songs on his Ipad and he was playing the songs from his Ipad. I was going to ask about how he accomplished this from his Ipad but it was really crowded and noisey and once he started playing songs you could not hear your self think.
The speakers were about 15-20 ft from him and his Ipad.
I am having an outside party next month and really want to play my songs I have on my Ipad and connect to external speakers. I only have about 120 songs on my Ipad and I have some Kenwood speakers that are 5 ft high. Just not sure I can figure all this out by then.

Hi again - not sure what type of amp or receiver powers your speakers, but you need the iPad to 'interact' w/ that stereo unit in some fashion; I'm assuming that a 'wireless' option is not going to be possible. But, if you can set the iPad to play your songs randomly (or in whatever 'playlist' you designed), then you could use a 'wired' solution, i.e. quick, simple, & cheap!

As another example, I have a 'mini-stereo RCA audio adapter' hooked into one of the 'AUX' inputs of my NAD receiver in my den (like the pic below) - when I want to listen to music on my iPod on my 'good' speakers, I just plug it into the mini-stereo plug and am set to go; SO, if you don't need direct control of your iPad, then a potential solution? :)

125509405_stereo-mini-35mm-to-dual-rca-audio-cable-mini-35mm-to-.jpg

Junior

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
macaddictionblog.wordpress.com
Nah, you could hook up and hide some type of iPod/iPhone/iPad on one end (maybe hide it behind the speaker) and run Tango Remote.

Then you have full control over the music from another iOS device. BT range is approx. 30 ft, so if he's 20-25 feet away, sounds like it's what he's done. Check it out in the App Store. I've used it a few times when I'm DJing events. Solid when you need to swap songs on the fly when you head to the bar or while dinner portion.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your replies. Will let you know what set-up I used and how it worked out.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to the link provided but it doesn't say anything about being compatible with an Ipad. Would this simple solution work with an Ipad ? Would I need to purchase anything else to make this work ?

It seems so simple and easy. Whats the downside ?

Thanks

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPhone, iPod and iPad use the same BT protocols. This should work just like it does for the phone and pod.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks for this link. I may just pick one of these up. I've been considering a portable battery Bluetooth speaker like the SoundFreaq SoundStep. Anyone have this adapter?

SparkyScott21

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know Berinegher, sorry for spelling, sells a speaker that really puts out volume on a iPad.

OP
Vettecor

Vettecor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys wanted to give you an update regarding my external speaker post. I bought a Bluetooth speaker and connected to my Ipad 2. I had my party but the Bluetooth speaker just does NOT have enough volume to play outside with party goers. But the party was great anyway.

I just picked up a used set of 900 MHz wireless speakers. The woman who I bought the speakers from said her husband, who passed away, said he played music from his Ipad to the wireless speakers all the time. She did NOT know how he did this.

Can I hook up these wireless speakers to my Ipad 2 and how do I do that so I can listen to music that is on my Ipad ?

Can I hook up these wireless speakers to my 20 year old Yamaha Receiver so I can listen to CD'S ? How do I connect the speakers to my receiver ?

I got the 2 speakers and a little square box from the woman. I imagine that the box is a transmitter of some kind, correct ?

Thanks for your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts