What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad compared to Galaxy Tab - My Thoughrs

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have owned an iPad for 2 years and a Galacy Tab 7.7 for 2 months. Here are my thoughts on both.

Presented with the oportunity to upgrade to either the iPad 3 or an Andoid tablet I opted for the latter.

The main reasons were the smaller/lighter hardware format and the open file system. The fact that the Galaxy has a micro SD card slot was also appealng. After two months use, I think that these are all valid reasons.

I don't think that just how many thousands of apps are available on each is an issue. 95% or more are rubbish either way and there is small number ir quality apps on both, many are common to both.

I have to say that the iPad seems very big and heavy when I pick it up these days although the larger screen has its own appeal. Size is alwas going to be a trade off with tablets I think.

One problem that seems common to both is that they will only print to selected printers.

My overall opinion? I favour the Galaxy for the reasons stated in paragraph three but the iPad remains on the coffee table for use when required.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are wrong about the apps....you've only had a droid or two months...you probably don't know the apps on either platform.

Ou iPad is 2 years old....the GT 7 isn't. And there are good solution o the SD card slot that would have been cheaper that buying a GT if you already have an iPad.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was very interested in the GT, but already had two iPads. I've since added a Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy Note, and I am much less interested in 7" form factor now. I like my Fire 7" for home book reading, but my Note works better on the go because it offers phone and tablet in 5" form factor and frees me to carry one device when I find iPad too large.

I'm leaning toward getting a GT 10" the next time I tablet shop, because the open file system really appeals to me. I also would like to get away from iTunes and be able to synch to multiple computers.

Apps haven't been a prob for my iOS or Android devices. I've used about 100 consistently, and don't need hundreds of thousands. Everything I've wanted on either platform has been available to me.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to agree 7.7 " is small as you want to go.

I do like to light weight and portability though.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really don't understand what your point is aq_oc.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to agree 7.7 " is small as you want to go.

I do like to light weight and portability though.

Do you carry your GT on the go all the time? You carry a phone as well?

What kind of battery life are you getting on GT?

One thing that's hard to get used to with 4G on my Galaxy Note -- less battery life, especially because I want to use it more than I did iPhone when it comes to surfing on the go, because the bigger screen is great. I now carry a spare battery to pop into my Note, like I did with iPhone previous to iPad debuting (except that iPhone didn't allow battery replacement, so I used an external battery as backup.)

I really like 5" form factor on the go for phablet functionality. Battery life is my biggest gripe now, with 4G being such a battery hog. Some kind of battery tech advance would be a huge selling point to me now, no matter the platform.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really don't understand what your point is aq_oc.

Which point? The one about you comparing a 2 year old product against a newer one? Or the one about you talking about all these apps being rubbish when you obviously have only used a relative handful on either platform? Sure, most don't need 200000 apps, but the point about having a lot of apps if that the ones you do need are there, since people from different walks of life have very different needs for the kinds of apps they want to use. My last point is that if you bought a new tablet so you can get an SD slot, where they are other ways you can add that same functionality to an iPad (for less than you paid for the Tab), and it would actually be greater than that of having an SD slot built into the device. The point about weight is a valid one that comes down the personal preference. I have a kindle fire and the weight is better but what you can do with it is more limited...and could not live with a Fire-sized device as my only tablet.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really like 5" form factor on the go for phablet functionality. Battery life is my biggest gripe now, with 4G being such a battery hog. Some kind of battery tech advance would be a huge selling point to me now, no matter the platform.

I too have noticed that on my iPad 3 that LTE appears drains battery much faster than otherwise. It is a marked difference. I wonder if the battery needs to be calibrated (the once a month drain thing).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have noticed that on my iPad 3 that LTE appears drains battery much faster than otherwise. It is a marked difference. I wonder if the battery needs to be calibrated (the once a month drain thing).

Would calibrating help the actual prob of less battery life, though?

At this point, I'd rather have 3G and longer battery life, than LTE, on the same device. Speed wasn't one of my gripes, so LTE actually created a battery prob for me and "fixed" a prob I didn't have with speed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

At this point, I'd rather have 3G and longer battery life, than LTE, on the same device. Speed wasn't one of my gripes, so LTE actually created a battery prob for me and "fixed" a prob I didn't have with speed.

I've never actually run the battery down on the iPad, so I can't be sure if it life or calibration...or some of both. On the iPad 3 I can turn LTE off and keep cellular on...hadn't thought to do that, though. I will try this on my next outing....

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you carry your GT on the go all the time? You carry a phone as well?

What kind of battery life are you getting on GT?

I carry it in my backpack and can really feel the weight difference.

I use it on public transport where the smaller size and lighter weght are significant.

It also makes a very nice GPS unit in the car running CoPilot or Route 66. The iPad is definitely to big for that. Also the WiFi only has GPS whuch is not the case with the iPad.

Battery life is about the same as the iPad. It's a 32 GB WiFi only with 32 GB micro SD card. I tether it to my mobile for 3G.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You are wrong about the apps....you've only had a droid or two months...you probably don't know the apps on either platform.

Ou iPad is 2 years old....the GT 7 isn't. And there are good solution o the SD card slot that would have been cheaper that buying a GT if you already have an iPad.

Neither statement is correct.

I have lots of apps on both.

My iPad has iOS 5.1.1 so it is right up to date. The only thing that I would like on the iPad but don't have is video mirroring.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Galaxy was considered a light weight compared to the iPad 2, so it is not a major revelation that it is light compared to the original iPad which was much heavier than the iPad 2. Being a smaller unit will also keep the weight down. Each of us have different needs, and refinements to these devices are fast and furious. If you are happy with the Glaxy, that is great for you. However, I think you are comparing Apples and Oranges here.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Neither statement is correct.

I have lots of apps on both.

My iPad has iOS 5.1.1 so it is right up to date. The only thing that I would like on the iPad but don't have is video mirroring.

You don't own enough about to support a claim that 99% of them are rubbish. That's just a weak argument to make the number of apps meaningless in support of your claim. And the original iPad is over two years old, so you're comparing to old tech.

britpoper

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think one of the factor is due to the LTE is just in the early deployment.
Back then when the 3G is also first introduced and vendors started to released a 3G phone, the battery also draining like really fast. Given time it's improving.
LTE is built specifically for data communication to cope with the rise of smartphone and tablets. Just give the network equipment and phone/tablets manufacturers time to make it better :)

As for the topic, I think it's only a matter of preference, the OP like Tab better, good for him.
I do also own a 8.9" SGT and 2 iPads, and for me is iPad all the way :eek:

Most reactions