What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad charging

Seanboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the best way of charging your iPad? Each night regardless of how much battery life is left? Or let it die completely before charging? I've heard that if you let it die completely it ruins the battery and won't hold the charge as long. Please advise..

Thanks,
Sean

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Modern batteries don't develop a memory. Charge whenever you like, but don't leave it in a discharged state. That doesn't do it any favors at all.

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So charge whenever I need it to charge, just do not leave it discharged.. Get it!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's about right. I never let mine get below 20%, at least not deliberately.

Doesn't do any harm to keep it charging even when it's at 100%. You can't overcharge it.

Little One

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And does the battery life decrease when I'm like.. Charging it for 5 mins, using it without charging for 10 mins, then charge again for a while.. I would say it does, but not sure.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldn't. Batteries have a life. They will charge for a certain number of complete cycles then will need replacing. I don't have any data on how long you can expect your battery to last but I don't notice any deterioration on my year old iPad 2 yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It shouldn't. Batteries have a life. They will charge for a certain number of complete cycles then will need replacing. I don't have any data on how long you can expect your battery to last but I don't notice any deterioration on my year old iPad 2 yet.

I haven't noticed battery deterioration in either my iPad 1 or 2, even with considerable negligent use.

My iPad 1 is more than two years old. I'm pretty battery careless -- my battery runs down and the iPad automatically shuts down sometimes. Despite that, no probs with my battery.

I've charged nearly daily with Griffin's PowerBlock wall plug, because I'm impatient and want the fastest charge possible:

The fastest way to charge your iPad « The Griffin Technology Blog

My experience with the Griffin PowerBlock matches what Gizmodo found two years ago. I've ended up with two PowerBlocks, which I use to charge my iPad 1 and 2, iPhone and touch.

Most reactions