What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Case Said to Improve 3G Performance

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
pong_case.JPG

TUAW has a story today about a new iPad case from Pong Research, which the manufacturer claims is designed to boost your iPad’s 3G signal, which is the opposite effect that using a case would normally have on the signal, as according to a story on Ars Technica, also quoted by TUAW, a normal iPad case would, as a rule, weaken the 3G signal emanating from the iPad, and mean a slower data rate. As far as the Pong Research case is concerned, it ensures that your iPad 3G signal will not be weakened by being covered, by placing a small hole right next to the proximity sensor, which has been installed on the iPad in order to protect the user from exposure to radiation from the 3G signal, by weakening the signal if the user gets too close to their iPad. TUAW says that the case has also been fitted with an integrated circuit board, which redistributes any excess radiation away from the user’s body. According to the Ars Technica report, the case actually does work on both counts, so if you like the sound of it, click here to order: Pong Products - Pong™ Case and Cover for the iPad 2

Source: iPad case claims to boost 3G performance, reduce radiation | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
love the case but way too expensive for what it gives.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't care for cases with screen covers, and my 3G reception is generally fine, but I like the idea of better radiation protection. Of course, there's no way I could tell whether that feature worked as advertised.

Someone gave me a Pong iPhone case, and it's well made as far as I can tell.

wxman2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gimmicks. As if any consumer agency was going to make them verify their claims. I'm sure there are fools out there who will shell out $100 for this.

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It states how it doesn't decrease the 3G signal, but not how it increases it.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:
love the case but way too expensive for what it gives.

Yes I saw that and it's probably not guaranteed.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

gottifour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anybody know of a case with a similar multi-angle folding cover like the Pong case? I wold like something like this!

Thanks

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you thing the pong case would get rather loose and floppy after a while. Maybe over time this a case of junk.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you thing the pong case would get rather loose and floppy after a while. Maybe over time this a case of junk.

The one I received the Christmas before last for iPhone 4 is still in factory shape. No apparent wear after more than a year. (My husband has inherited the phone and the case.)

Most reactions

Latest posts