What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Cable Splitter?

iamcutehee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any idea if there's such a product, 2 ports for ipad instead of 1. A splitter. Because I want to do my work using keyboard by plugging in a camera connection kit and connecting a usb keyboard, for the other available port I wanna charge my ipad.

possible?

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just use a USB-splitter, since the camera connection kit and the keyboard all connect using USB and use a USB-USB cable to connect the charger. If you've not yet tried using a wired keyboard with the iPad be aware that the USB port on the iPad cannot drive very much current and so only a very limited number of keyboards work with the iPad.

Tim

OP
I

iamcutehee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great idea! But will ipad respond? I will give it a try.

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm skeptical about using the CCK and a USB splitter. Since the iPad already supplies some power to the CCK USB port, it seems unwise to try and back feed another power source to the same port. If someone has done this, and it works, I'm ok with it. But I would not do it myself without confirmation, or a pinout for the CCK (which I can't find).

A powered USB hub might work better, but I can't guarantee that would work. You would not (should not) use the camera connection kit in this setup. Just plug both the iPad and the keyboard into the same Hub. A newer hub might even provide enough power to charge the iPad at a reasonable rate, though probably not as fast as it's own charger. What the hub won't do is risk damage to the iPad or keyboard.

Last edited:

Most reactions