What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Battery, Replace Yourself, Or Refurbo?

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I'm lil concerned about battery, I'm afraid it will die after the 1 yr battery replacement and then I won't even be able to send it in to replace and I won't be able to take iPad with me, just ac.. But then I seen this, has anybody actually did this to there iPad, seems complicated.. I also seen some places that u send in the iPad and they will do it for 100 bucks..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnjtvMCndcw]YouTube - Apple iPad Battery Replacement & Repair Directions by DirectFix.com[/ame]

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Where do those places get the battery? Any promise that it's Apple OEM? I don't expect that the battery will require replacement before iPad 3.0 is released, so I'm not much worried....

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Indeed. Hopefully we will be upgrading to the all new iPad next year long before the battery shows signs of ageing.

Best way to preserve the battery is to switch the iPad off and stop using it.............
Again it may be stolen by aliens in the near future and your worst fears proven pointless.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, holy crap, that is one involved process. No wonder Apple doesn't actually replace your battery. And I'll bet that first wide ribbon cable is the source of the video issues a couple of people have reported. Interesting to see - I might actually get in there one of these days.

And actually switching it off won't help preserve it - inactivity is actually worse for batteries. Nowadaysfew people wear out their batteries before the life-cycle of the device is over. I've got about 7 old laptops at home and I've replaced batteries in 3 of them. IBM 701C from 1995, IBM 600X from 1999, and my IBM TransNote (coolest tablet ever!) from 2000. I don't see most people keeping an iPad that long.

Last edited:

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How will iPad 3.0 save the battery?

I think that the existing iPad battery will last through the first and second generation iPad and not wear out till 3.0 is released; at which time I'll be ready to upgrade anyway.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrimate
I think that the existing iPad battery will last through the first and second generation iPad and not wear out till 3.0 is released; at which time I'll be ready to upgrade anyway.

————

Yeah, not to mention the many other tablets that will be out by then..
Proll sey on eBay, but regardless the battery dies you always will have ac.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com

So true. The "non-user" replaceable battery thing is just not an issue anymore. The built in battery is one of the reasons Apple can make phones/iPads so thin. The battery should last 3 plus years and by that time most folks have ether upgraded or moved on to another gadget. I see people with the original iPhone and still going strong......

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting to see the process. While I am not going to open my iPad up just for the fun of it, it's a lot less complicated than trying to work on the average laptop. The touchiest part of the disassembly is separating the glass from the case. As it is in taking apart many monitors. directfix.com doesn't have a price on the battery right now. Supposedly they are sold out, but more than likely they don't have them in stock yet. Why should they, any iPad with a battery problem at this point would be covered by warranty. Which also speaks to the OP's question of whether anyone has done this. Why should they, at least to replace the battery, when the unit is covered. Unless you have just taken your iPad apart to do it. The source and quality of the batteries is also an interesting question. I wouldn't be afraid to do this when the time came, if I knew the battery I was using wasn't going to explode with the iPad in my lap.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

So true. The "non-user" replaceable battery thing is just not an issue anymore. The built in battery is one of the reasons Apple can make phones/iPads so thin. The battery should last 3 plus years and by that time most folks have ether upgraded or moved on to another gadget. I see people with the original iPhone and still going strong......

Its certainly less of an issue with the battery life of the iPad, but I still liked that I could have a spare battery charged on my dock with my windows mobile phone. When my battery ran down, I could just pop in the charged one and go - stick the dead battery back on the dock to charge. I rarely had to plug my phone into a charger and wait for it to charge.

OP
Ultrimate

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if they sold a battery that lasted 3x as long and fit in the iPad the might actually try installing it, or sending to them to do it..

But yeah, why bother especially if apple has this replacement battery thing, but I'm still weary about get a refurbo, I mean aren't those usually ipads that have been sent and to fix? So who knows what probes u will have wit it..

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oftentimes refurbished units are better than brandnew, they get checked over to make sure any problems are resolved. Depends on who is doing the refurbishing. Seeing the video on the disassembly, the iPad is really a simple device, and outside of a loose connector or something on that tiny little motherboard going haywire there isn't that much to go wrong. No moving parts to worry about.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll have bought a new version of the iPad or some other Android tablet long before I have to replace this battery.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I would not hesitate to buy a FACTORY refurb. I have bought several items over the years that were FACTORY refurbs and no problems. Save some dough and have the same warranty.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the issue is a major worry to you, I would suggest the extended warranty. I assume it will pay for a battery replacement during that time, and would save you money if it needs replacement.

Most reactions

Latest posts