What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Audio

DarthMambo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is driving me nuts.

I'm building an HTML application for my iPad, but I can't make it play .wav files which are returned from either a Java servlet or an ASP handler (I'm sure I'm setting the "content-type" correctly - "audio/wav" or "audio/x-wav")

In either HTML5 or Quicktime, if you set the data source for the object to a static file it works fine e.g. "/foo/bar/baz.wav", but if you set it to a dynamic source e.g. "/foo/bar/GetWav?audioFileId=123" the component just goes into an error state and doesn't play anything.

Does anyone know if this is a formal restriction of Quicktime and the HTML5 <audio/> tag? Any workarounds?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
are you running an apache server?

You could try setting up a .htaccess rule for when a file doesn't exist a PHP script is run instead.

So lets say you have an empty folder at /mainsite/files/audio/.
the webpage tries to download /mainsite/files/audio/123.wav

That file doesnt exist, php script runs and looks at the file name "123" and returns the proper audio file as 123.wav

I have done this before to create dynamic pitures. Example I have a weather script that returns an image with the currnt weather status/temps/ and a background of the current conditions.
file requests look something like /weather/33178.png
now that file doesnt exist but the script looks at the file name which is a zipcode and then generates the correct image.

Last edited:
OP
D

DarthMambo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on IIS and tried to do the same thing before I left work today and it didn't work. Have you tried doing this with Quicktime/HTML5 tags before?

I will double-check that tomorrow that I didn't do anything silly and that the response for a static and dynamic resources are identical. If you have any other ideas..

OP
D

DarthMambo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They're identical! Any ideas?

Request #1 (Real Wav)

GET /Views/MyWav.wav HTTP/1.1
Host localhost:50854
User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
Accept text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive 115
Cookie ASP.NET_SessionId=uei4...EB0
Cache-Control max-age=0

Request #2 (Dynamically Fetched Wav)

GET /Views/VoiceClip.wav HTTP/1.1
Host localhost:50854
User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.6) Gecko/20100625 Firefox/3.6.6
Accept text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive 115
Cookie ASP.NET_SessionId=uei4v...2CD5EB0
Cache-Control max-age=0

Response #1 (Real Wav)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: ASP.NET Development Server/10.0.0.0
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:09:00 GMT
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: audio/wav
Content-Length: 110546
Connection: Close

RIFFÊ...

Reponse #2 (Dynamically Fetched Wav)

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: ASP.NET Development Server/10.0.0.0
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 16:09:01 GMT
X-AspNet-Version: 4.0.30319
Content-Length: 100676
Cache-Control: private
Content-Type: audio/wav
Connection: Close

RIFF<......

OP
D

DarthMambo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It turns out that it's because the iPad etc. demand that any audio/video come from service endpoints which support byte-range HTTP headers i.e. "fetch me byes 50-100". If the endpoint doesn't support this it just fails. I had to go add this support to my ASP.net handler/java servlet.

Most reactions

Latest posts