What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as phone?

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi i have the ipad 32GB wifi + 3G prorded. Can you use the Ipad with 3G as a phone as well?. If you can use it has a phone im going to do a trigger happy TV 21st century style lol.

Im not bothered if you carnt use it as a phone but it be a bonus if you could.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
The iPad + 3G only has a data connection, no SMS, MMS or Voice access. You can however use SKYPE on the iPad, and it works just fine.

oSGrn.jpg

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/13/ipad-skype-retro-han.html
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skype/id304878510?mt=8

BassGear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"whistle phone" (in the apple app store) seems to be "the app" for free WiFi, or 3G calls on the iPad. I have not tried it though.

H2oski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded the whistle phone app and signed up.tried a few test calls and it seems to work fine. You do have to sit through a few seconds of ads but it's free so I think it is worth it. iPad wifi no 3G

H2oski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have been playing around with it for a while and an FYI the app needs to be open to receive a call. Might be obvious but I was hoping that somehow it might notify you otherwise.

OP
S

skipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How safe is this APP to use and sign up?.

Ive seen a couple of youtube vids and it does look awsome but was wondering what infomation you need to give out etc?.

thanks.

greener

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just downloaded the whistle phone app and signed up.tried a few test calls and it seems to work fine. You do have to sit through a few seconds of ads but it's free so I think it is worth it. iPad wifi no 3G

same here, been using for a week or so now, daughter lives in florida, wife talks to other daughter in chicago last night on home phone, she called in on home phone, wife let me know and i called her in florida on ipad whistle app, she kept chatting on home phone to chicago, a great additon to my ipad, seeing as we have 4 grown kids all out of state or a long ways away

Brodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
John

Does AT&T have a problem when you do this on their 3G network? How much data will a 5 minute phone call burn up. I would think that if you made a lot of calls while not connected to some sort of wi-fi network would use up your allotment pretty quickly.

I'm looking to do this while on the road on my bike. I have the 64gig iPad, but haven't tied in with AT&T yet. If I can't get a cell phone to connect via Bluetooth with the iPad, this may be the way to go.

By the way, you can get that fancy handset here...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/cellphone/8928/

Thanks

Brodie

Last edited:

john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
Broodie,

My understanding of the arrangement with AT&T is that it's 'unlimited' I pay the $30/m. Brian POUNDED AT&T's network for his 'torture test' found here: 3G iPad’s ‘Unlimited’ Data Plan Survives Torture Test | Gadget Lab | Wired.com and it seemed fine!

That said, I've not gotten the bluetooth working yet so calls are on speaker phone. But it works beautifully! It's truly handy to have. If you find a way to get bluetooth working let me know!

I'm interviewing the developer of the WeePhone today and I hope to get some insight from him. Your bike set up looks amazing!

I'm now interested to know how much data is passing during a call. I may have to look into that. Possibly I'll write an in-depth review of my calling solution and will point out the good points and the bad points. It may help a future app developer in knowing what the market is seeking.

Hope that helps,

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Broodie,

My understanding of the arrangement with AT&T is that it's 'unlimited' I pay the $30/m. Brian POUNDED AT&T's network for his 'torture test' found here: 3G iPad’s ‘Unlimited’ Data Plan Survives Torture Test | Gadget Lab | Wired.com and it seemed fine!

That said, I've not gotten the bluetooth working yet so calls are on speaker phone. But it works beautifully! It's truly handy to have. If you find a way to get bluetooth working let me know!

I'm interviewing the developer of the WeePhone today and I hope to get some insight from him. Your bike set up looks amazing!

I'm now interested to know how much data is passing during a call. I may have to look into that. Possibly I'll write an in-depth review of my calling solution and will point out the good points and the bad points. It may help a future app developer in knowing what the market is seeking.

Hope that helps,

Your 3G data plan isn't unlimited, it is 5GB a month... which is the norm for all US 3G carriers. I'd imagine that voice calls use about 50-75kbps of bandwidth at the most, so an hour call would range from 180-250mb of usage. This is only an estimate, and it may be much lower but I don't see it being any higher unless the application is a complete bandwidth hog.

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I'm calling an iPad from another iPad, is it truely "free" to use within the US?

Just curious if there were any hidden charges.

MSax

Most reactions

Latest posts