What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad as laptop Replacement

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm getting my 7th gen iPad ready as an eventual replacement to my current laptop (Toshiba) and have been doing a lot of investigating online. I already have a Bluetooth keyboard and a wireless mouse and lightning to camera adaptors are on the way. I plan to use the iPad several times a day. and sometimes most of the day with power applied while in use. In between usage sessions the power will be turned off. Am I missing anything? I realize I found some answers online, but still like to get forum members' recommendations. Thank you. Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Ed - please provide some more details about how you use the Toshiba laptop now, e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, financial software, photo imaging (what specifically, i.e. just storage only and/or image editing), music, videos, etc. Do you need printing ability? I'm assuming that you're set up and understand networking with the iPad. What are your backup plans? Do you have a case and is your device 'put to sleep' (my preference vs. turning it off). Just some quick thoughts - the information provided will help others give more directed advice. Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again, Dave. I plan to use the device as a typical home user, just surfing Web, doing things online, such as banking, etc. watching a video occasionally. Nothing intensive. The reason I prefer the iPad be turned off (I.e, disconnected from mains) is I do this with all of my equipment to protect against any possible power surge or abnormality during off periods. No printing ability is needed.

You mentioned you prefer putting your device to sleep rather than turning off. What is your rationale> Thanks again. Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again, Dave. I plan to use the device as a typical home user, just surfing Web, doing things online, such as banking, etc. watching a video occasionally. Nothing intensive. The reason I prefer the iPad be turned off (I.e, disconnected from mains) is I do this with all of my equipment to protect against any possible power surge or abnormality during off periods. No printing ability is needed.

You mentioned you prefer putting your device to sleep rather than turning off. What is your rationale> Thanks again. Ed

Well, if you are 'disconnected' from the mains, i.e. not on the charger, then there is no problem w/ power issues - correct? As to leaving the iPad on in 'sleep mode' offers certain functions to operate, such as Wi-Fi - you'll have to review the 'sleep options' which can be activated or not. As for myself, I usually plug my iPad into power each night, does an iCloud backup in that mode, and having had 3 iPads over 10 years now, I've never had an issue - Apple builds in a lot of power protection in their electronics. Dave :)

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great answer, Dave. I believe I'll follow your advice! Having worked with electronics most my life, I think that since power is supplied to the iPad through a charging device, not directly from the AC line, that might mitigate any effects from a power surge. If I'm using my iPad during a T-storm, I'll still cut charger power and run off of the battery just to be safe. Maybe, someday, I'll become a professional iPader (just made that word up) :) Ed

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Great answer, Dave. I believe I'll follow your advice! Having worked with electronics most my life, I think that since power is supplied to the iPad through a charging device, not directly from the AC line, that might mitigate any effects from a power surge. If I'm using my iPad during a T-storm, I'll still cut charger power and run off of the battery just to be safe. Maybe, someday, I'll become a professional iPader (just made that word up) :) Ed

Well living in the Piedmont area of North Carolina, we do get thunderstorms with lightening so certainly a concern for me - my iMac (wife's computer - I use Apple laptops) is on an APC UPS (the one shown below), and my den electronics are on several smaller APC UPS backup power units which is fine for short blackouts or brownouts; but when lightening is overhead I turn off the iMac, unplug my laptops (which I keep on their chargers most of the time), and would unplug any iDevices that might be charging. So, I certainly respect lightening and try to protect my equipment when the danger is near. Dave :)
APC.jpg

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dave, here's another question. I've been thinking I bought this iPad in 2019 following the loss of my previous one. I notice the warranty expires June of this year. Does that mean I purchased my latest device last year, assuming the warranty on a new product is one year? Thanks again, Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave, here's another question. I've been thinking I bought this iPad in 2019 following the loss of my previous one. I notice the warranty expires June of this year. Does that mean I purchased my latest device last year, assuming the warranty on a new product is one year? Thanks again, Ed

Hi Ed - well you should know when you bought the device? But the iPad 7th G was released in Sept 2019 (as shown below); so if you bought the device about then, the standard warranty would be 1 year (see HERE), i.e. already expired - however, if you added AppleCare (which I do with all of my Apple product purchases), then that warranty is extended one year, thus would take your coverage into 2021 (when - depends on your purchase date). About all that I can add w/o you providing info on buying AppleCare? Dave :)

Screen Shot 2021-04-11 at 7.41.35 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have Apple’s Support app installed, you can easily check your warrantee status by selecting your device, then Device Details. You can check all your devices that are registered to the same Apple ID.

It is also possible to check this info on Apple’s site in the Support tab, but you’ll have to dig a bit deeper.

There is a grace period after the initial purchase of your device where you can purchase Applecare +, if you decide you want the coverage.

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, Dave & Twerpoet. I checked “about” and it says my limited warranty expires 6/21/21. I’m assuming limited warranties on new devices have been for 1 year duration. If that’s the case, wouldn’t that mean I bought this iPad around June of last year? If that were the case, my device would be newer than I thought! I suppose I could have bought a 2019 model in 2020, and I wouldn’t doubt that could be the case. I know I haven’t purchased any extra warranties. I’ve never done that with any of my digital equipment. Ed

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New iPad models generally come out mid year. It's pretty common to have bought the previous year's model if you aren't paying close attention to release dates, especially if you do not buy direct from Apple. New models generally take a month or two to hit the normal outlets.

That said, nothing wrong with the 7th generation iPad. The extra features of the 8th generation would mostly appeal to artists and those that like to take hand written notes. It supports the 1st generation Apple Pencil.

Always something new in the works, no matter when you buy.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ed - assume that you have a 'record' of when you bought the iPad? If you purchased the device w/o AppleCare, then you have just the 1-year warranty - to verify whether still active, see the screen capture below from my iPad Pro (its warranty on AppleCare expired in Dec 2020, hence the 'expired' support messages).

To check your device, go to the website listed, enter the serial number of your iPad (found in Settings > General > About) and the code shown - the page below appears; IF your device is still under warranty, then a date will be given; if not, then the same messages below will appear. Dave :)
AppleCoverage.PNG

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I received my Bluetooth mouse today and set it up. Working ok so far. Rather that tapping the touchpad on my keyboard several times to get it to do anything, I just left click the mouse one time and it does what its supposed to do. Now, when my adaptor arrives ill be all set.:) Ed

OP
Sap44

Sap44

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, now I have a complete “laptop”. I received my adaptor from Amazon today and can use thumb drives and wired mouse if for some reason I cant use the wireless one. Because my left hand is paralyzed (stroke) I need to use only my right hand to insert peripheral devices into the USB-A socket. It’s a little difficult but it gets done. I even tried running an external hard drive, but didn’t expect it to work (too much power draw even with power provided to the iPad), and sure enough it didn’t, although it seemed to try. So now, I’m a happy camper. If my trusty Toshiba gives up I’m covered. :) Ed

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey Ed - just curious, but did you ever check on your warranty at the website in my post #12 above? Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts