What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad as a replacement to a laptop?

comeradealexi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The title says it all really and i'm not sure whether the iPad offers enough features that will be able to replace a laptop entirely. Basically I want to be able to open and edit all kinds of Microsoft Office documents and such as the main thing and be able to store photo's and picture and browse the web.

My main concern about the Microsoft Office document is the whole no folder support so i'm confused about where I store my files on the iPad and how i access them later?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The iPad is not a laptop replacement. It can probably do like 80% of busiess tasks compared to a laptop.

- Photo managment is not an easy task as it is in a laptop
- The iPad can be useful for writing small documents, but more complex documents can be a hurdle
- File managment is almost non existent
- A PC/laptop is required for backups, at least until iOS 5
- Intensive tasks like rendering a movie or complex calculation are beyond an iPad capacity
- Some websites require some workaround

But it's an amazing device for:

- Contacts, calendar and email management
- Browsing and searching the net
- Gaming
- Light tasks management, planning, note taking
- Movies and music
- Battery life

There is more, but make a list of what you want to achieve with such a device, and make sure that the iPad can handle it easily. In doubt, go with a netbook or better, a MacBook Air

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts