What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad apps telling me they're not compatible with my iPad!

Zeta08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a notification to update my Keynote app, but when I clicked on 'update' all I got was a message 'app is not compatible with this iPad', even though it's just an update to an app which I've been using OK. Then today, I tried to install the new Guardian iPad app, and got the same message. :(
Does anyone know what this is all about? Is it my iPad, or a problem with the app store, or something else?
Thanks

stevnim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe doing a sync, uninstalling the offending apps, doing the iOS upgrade then reinstalling the apps would work.

-stevnim

Rome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am getting the same erroe message on all three of the iWorks apps. Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Unable to update

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just give up. Have a drink...have another drink. The iOS 5 update is creating massive problems everywhere. Servers overloaded. Verification of devices fails. App "incompatibility" fails as a result. There is no solution. Go to bed and wait for the millions of frustrated users who counted on their Apple devices to "just work" do the same thing.

OP
Zeta08

Zeta08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, stevnim. It's a brand new iPad2 (only had it a week), so I'm surprised I'd need to do any kind of iOS upgrade already, and the Guardian app problem is an app I haven't yet got, so can't try uninstalling that one! But I'll do a sync anyway, and maybe try rebooting it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, stevnim. It's a brand new iPad2 (only had it a week), so I'm surprised I'd need to do any kind of iOS upgrade already, and the Guardian app problem is an app I haven't yet got, so can't try uninstalling that one! But I'll do a sync anyway, and maybe try rebooting it.

You're not alone. And it has nothing to do with the app you're trying to update. You just happened to purchase an iPad a week before a major cluster**** brought about by Apple not being prepared for the onslaught of users trying to update their devices.

OP
Zeta08

Zeta08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh dear, sounds like we should just become a load of drunk Apple users who have all lost heart! :( (maybe a group of drunk Apple users should be called a 'cider')

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a whole lot they could have done to lessen the load.

Not so. They could have made the update available only to selected groups of users. Since iTunes has the email addresses of virtually every owner of a device, they could have randomly selected groups of devices and enabled an update portal only for those who were on the (expanding) list. That's more or less the approach used for various Android devices and it works just fine. Complaints from people about not being at the head of the line, but at least when one is selected it's possible to do an update in less than 8 hours. In a couple of weeks, the entire user community would have had the opportunity to update their devices with none of the chaos that's currently going on.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the apps are set up to work with iOS5, or can be waiting on a server.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Just give up. Have a drink...have another drink. The iOS 5 update is creating massive problems everywhere. Servers overloaded. Verification of devices fails. App "incompatibility" fails as a result. There is no solution. Go to bed and wait for the millions of frustrated users who counted on their Apple devices to "just work" do the same thing.

Yep, I'm waiting a few weeks till the bugs get worked out a bit more.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After about 10 hours of struggle, I'm updated. Frankly, I think the incompatible apps issue is a red herring brought about by the deluge that hit the servers. My guess is that the server validation that matches a device to an app fails due to overload and generates the incompatible app message. I ran into the issue this morning and as far as I can tell every app that called for an update eventually updated correctly. Obviously, my theory may be wrong but before anyone takes drastic action (like deleting an app), I'd suggest waiting and seeing.

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zeta08 said:
Oh dear, sounds like we should just become a load of drunk Apple users who have all lost heart! :( (maybe a group of drunk Apple users should be called a 'cider')

:)

Sent from my heart ,using my brain ..

Most reactions