What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad & Apple TV Connectivity via WiFi?

Marilyn G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - I'm a new iPad owner (and new to any Apple products) and would like to know how to have my iPad connect wirelessly to my Apple TV which is connected to our Sony TV. I'd like to show iPad content (pics, etc) on the TV, and perhaps use the iPad keypad in Netflix. Prior to purchasing the Apple TV I'd bought HDMI cable and iPad HDMI adapter, but found that inconvenient. If this can be done, I'd appreciate the instructions to be given as simply as possible, LOL. (PS - my computer is a PC, if that is relevant)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can easily do everything you listed and more. All you'll need is:

- iPad or iPad 2
- Remote for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (Free app)
- Apple TV2

Providing they are both connected to the same network your iPad and Apple TV2 will automatically recognize each other and you can stream photos, video, etc. to your TV via AirPlay. You can also play anything in your iTunes library from your PC on your Apple TV2 or (iPad) when you enable Home Sharing.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
OP
M

Marilyn G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you for the info Rich! I have downloaded the free remote and with a bit of fiddling, syncing, etc have managed to get some aspects working. I still have to use the Apple TV remote to select anything on the Sony TV screen which is one thing I wanted to avoid.

I tried the iPad1, but it started the music on my PC in another room instead, LOL. Hopefully someday I'll get this figured out. All things Apple seem to involve a lot of going here, there, and all over - plus remembering the sync thing too. Can you tell I'm a total noob?!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although they've made it considerably easier than it used to be, working with networked equipment is always a lot of fun. ;) You'll get it down soon enough. Keep working with Remote...you should be able to do everything that the actual Apple TV remote will do and then some.

Enjoy!

Most reactions